Here are the USD prices for the Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and lenses

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
If I've got the pricing right, the R6 at $2,500 is $200 more than R was at introduction and $400 more than the 6DII at introduction. Not that far off. It will be interesting to see if the price drops a year from now as the R and 6D did. Demand and shortages may keep it higher.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
R5 is about $400 more than a7rIV. But is R5 more functional than a7rIV?
The Sony is great for people needing 61MP over anything else, it is also smaller and lighter.

But for video, the Canon is incomparably more powerful. It a hybrid camera rather than a stills camera with some video capabilties.
It has a faster CFExpress card option to fully utilise all those features (if necessary).
It also has a much better quality rotating screen that is fully touch-compatible.
The IBIS is probably much better as well.
It also shoots faster at 12fps or 20fps with the electronic shutter.
The body is more spaced out with a top LCD as well.
We don't know how good the AF is, it is probably at least as good as the A7RIV (but not close to the A9II)

There are a good deal of features that the R5 offers for all that extra cash.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I was hoping for something closer to $2000 for the R6. I shoot both Canon and Sony (5DIV and a6500) and have been wanting to go full frame mirrorless. Have been holding off from getting an A7III, would be adapting a bunch of EF and using several of the Sony lenses that I have. Wouldn't mind spending more to go all Canon but A7III is about $1700 now; going to $2500 is a bigger stretch than I like.
If you are price sensitive and not in a hurry I'd give the R6 a little time to level off. I don't think it's clear exactly where the market will price it and Canon will eventually have to sell it at the market price.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

6degrees

RF 85mm F1.2
Sep 6, 2018
The Sony is great for people needing 61MP over anything else, it is also smaller and lighter.

But for video, the Canon is incomparably more powerful.
It has a faster CFExpress card option to fully utilise all those features (if necessary).
It also has a much better quality rotating screen that is fully touch-compatible.
The IBIS is probably much better as well.
It also shoots faster at 12fps or 20fps with the electronic shutter.
The body is more spaced out with a top LCD as well.

There are a good deal of features that the R5 offers for all that extra cash.

Are you sure R5 has better IBIS? Is that possible? Canon never had IBIS. a7r series bodies have much richer history for that.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
R5 is about $400 more than a7rIV. But is R5 more functional than a7rIV?
No, it’s not.
It’s Much Much Much more functional... better ergonomics, better screen, better EVF, usable menus, flip screen, far superior weather sealing. And I haven’t even touched on specs/features.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Going to be quite a few 9+ condition R bodies at a great price in a few days/weeks.

And perhaps some 5dmIV

Not so sure about that. Both are still great cameras and I'm in no hurry to replace either one, especially because the new prices have dropped so much. I'd rather just hang on to them and wait another year or so to see where the R5 settles in and compare it to the 5D V, which I expect will be announced in the next six months.

Upvote 0
If you are price sensitive and not in a hurry I'd give the R6 a little time to level off. I don't think it's clear exactly where the market will price it and Canon will eventually have to sell it at the market price.

How much time and how much do you think it'll drop? I'd be surprised if that price (if correct) drops more than $200 by Christmas.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
How much time and how much do you think it'll drop? I'd be surprised if that price (if correct) drops more than $200 by Christmas.
Certainly not this Christmas. But, if the 6D is any indication, by a year from now it should be settling in.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Are you sure R5 has better IBIS? Is that possible?
The Sony has the weakest IBIS of all cameras with limited sensor movement possible on the narrow opening of the E-mount
So yes, I am sure with the wide RF-mount that the Canon is going to be better (probably as good as the Nikon Z series cameras, which are really good as well)

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
Are you sure R5 has better IBIS? Is that possible?
We don't know. That is one of the big questions is how Canon does IBIS.

That said... yes. Anything is better than Sony's IBIS. Maybe it's fine for photo. But for video, I swear they put it on there as a joke. It's a technological social experiment, and Sony's IBIS is nothing but a placebo. Sony user's believe they have more stable footage... but every time I see it, I'm like... what are you looking at? That's some shaky ass footage.

Upvote 0