Here are the USD prices for the Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and lenses

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
But I did. You can't do it unless you already had the 100-500 in your wishlist and from there added it to your cart.

Dang it. hahah.. That's awesome. It's too late now. Decided on the body alone for now and will throw my order in and get in line. Yeehaw!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I doubt many will care but I went back and took a look at my previous purchases and have decided that the price of the R5 is spot on - generous in fact, when compared to the 5D4 kit I bought back in 2018. (4199 out the door with a 24-105L and a couple of other doodads).

Also - the 100-500L at $2699 reflects very well on the $2299 I paid for my 100-400L II at launch when it came out.

I've reached the conclusion that I've just turned into a cheap bastard over the last few years and need to get over myself. If I want it, there it is. Pay it or don't.

I'm ordering the R5. Damn the torpedoes.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
So, how much is an adaptor for the EF lenses? $100-$150?

C
In the UK (maybe wider Europe too?) at least, Canon are offering a free EF-EoS R adaptor to all CPS members - supposedly as an "exclusive". May not be much, but worth having nonetheless. For our cousins over in the Americas, it may be worth checking out CPS, and/or giving it a few days, if you can bear to wait.... :)

Upvote 0
Don't forget one thing - at least in my case I enjoy using my 100-400L II + 1.4 on my 5D4 as well as my EOS-R, and the 100-400L II bare fits well on the 5D4, my 7D2, and my 70D.

Can't do that with the RF 100-500L. It's EOS-R only unless I buy the new body too.

Also - I would never shoot the 2X because of the hit on IQ and unless that changes for some miraculous reason with these new extenders that will be case for the 100-500L as well.

I live in the pacific northwest and light is a bitch even on a good day. Get back under these trees up here ad it doesn't matter what the sun is doing - you're working in dappled light at best. F8 @ 560 is a challenge but I've learned to make it work as best I can. F11 @ 700 might be doable on the R5 but it will cost me over $7000 to get there. For that much money I should suck it up and just go ahead with the 500mm F4 but then we get into the portability discussion.

I said UGH because I was hoping for more for the price. Sigma and Tamron do a 150-600 5.6-6.3 for $1000 or so. For nearly three times that I was hoping for a better price tag or faster glass. It seemed doable and reasonable to me.

For me, for a lens I can only use on my EOS-R, it's a bit of a let down.

I just decided I'm buying the R5 and waiting for sales on the 100-500L down the road. Or just go ahead with the freaking 500mm F4 - I have a nice gimbal - why not? I'm old and you can't take it with you.

Makes sense. Might hold off on an expensive EF big white, though, since Canon really is touting the combined IBIS and AF performance being due to the RF interface speed. Will be interesting to see the first reports come in of EF lenses on the R5.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
I live in the pacific northwest and light is a bitch even on a good day. Get back under these trees up here ad it doesn't matter what the sun is doing - you're working in dappled light at best. F8 @ 560 is a challenge but I've learned to make it work as best I can. F11 @ 700 might be doable on the R5 but it will cost me over $7000 to get there. For that much money I should suck it up and just go ahead with the 500mm F4 but then we get into the portability discussion.

Up until last month I was shooting with the EF 100-400 USM II on a doubler adapted to my EOS R. Worked perfectly fine for dawn and dusk up here on the sound. The 100-500 is welcomed along with the other two telephotos. It gives me some extra creative choices when I’m not on some insane assignment where a $14k lens is required. You have 45mp to clear up any noise for prints that many pros take on 20mp or less.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Up until last month I was shooting with the EF 100-400 USM II on a doubler adapted to my EOS R. Worked perfectly fine for dawn and dusk up here on the sound. The 100-500 is welcomed along with the other two telephotos. It gives me some extra creative choices when I’m not on some insane assignment where a $14k lens is required. You have 45mp to clear up any noise for prints that many pros take on 20mp or less.

This is the same for me - the 1.4X lives on my 100-400L II and usually rotates between the 5D4 and the EOS-R depending on what I'm doing. I have the fancy EOS-R adapter (control ring type) and it works great. No problems and I don't think the IQ hit is even noticeable.

I'm on the phone @ B&H right now working out an order on the R5.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Makes sense. Might hold off on an expensive EF big white, though, since Canon really is touting the combined IBIS and AF performance being due to the RF interface speed. Will be interesting to see the first reports come in of EF lenses on the R5.

Yup. I think my long range plan will end up being the 100-500L once I hear how others are doing using the new adapters.

I'm on the phone with B&H right now trying to work a deal on the R5. I'm going to Payboo it to save a little over $400 on the tax, plus they usually give a little for retired military.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I would appreciate opinions on that as well. After Canon put all that effort into superior lens design, how do I avoid ruining it with a separate piece of glass on the front?

I only use filters when I have a specific purpose for having one mounted. I've never had a problem but I'm a pretty careful guy.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
How much is plane ticket Oslo-NY-Oslo?

At least at one point Icelandair was fairly cheap--whether cheap enough to make it worth doing is another question entirely.

Another benefit is you could stay in Iceland for a couple of days, and if you can't find something worth photographing in Iceland, then don't waste your money on the camera. :ROFLMAO:

(Icelandair at least used to have flights to Denver. Look for a place with lower sales tax than NYC as every percentage point is going to be worth another 39 dollars.)

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
That's a lot of coin for both cameras. They don't even have a mirror and pentaprism.....o_O.... shouldn't they be cheaper than the 5D and 6D?

Just had a good look at my trusty 5D IV, gave it a hug as it looks like we're staying together for longer than anticipated.

I'm sure a top EVF costs a lot more than a pentaprism.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
At least at one point Icelandair was fairly cheap--whether cheap enough to make it worth doing is another question entirely.

Another benefit is you could stay in Iceland for a couple of days, and if you can't find something worth photographing in Iceland, then don't waste your money on the camera. :ROFLMAO:

(Icelandair at least used to have flights to Denver. Look for a place with lower sales tax than NYC as every percentage point is going to be worth another 39 dollars.)

They also fly to Seattle and it's 3 hour drive to Oregon with 0% sales tax :)

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I'm considering that myself, also there's very good Izakaya I like to visit.

To be honest I have no idea how much better Denver's sales tax is than New York City's. I know it's 8+% in the nearby city of Colorado Springs, but that means nothing in Colorado (one of the most patchwork sales tax states--it's a nightmare for the people who write the software to compute it for online orders). I have no idea what NYC's rate is, just that once long ago I was stunned to see it was 11+%.

Seattle/Portland is a much better option (also plenty of photogenic stuff there too).

Upvote 0

I said UGH because I was hoping for more for the price. Sigma and Tamron do a 150-600 5.6-6.3 for $1000 or so. For nearly three times that I was hoping for a better price tag or faster glass. It seemed doable and reasonable to me.

Different class of lens. Nikon 80-400, Sony 100-400, Canon's EF 100-400 II all cost more than the 150-600/200-500/200-600 lenses. Are all those overpriced too?

I find the 100-500 interesting because it is like a 100-400 with a 1.25x only on the long end. RF 100-500 weighs about 3 lb compared to the 4.5 lb on the Tamron.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Different class of lens. Nikon 80-400, Sony 100-400, Canon's EF 100-400 II all cost more than the 150-600/200-500/200-600 lenses. Are all those overpriced too?

I find the 100-500 interesting because it is like a 100-400 with a 1.25x only on the long end. RF 100-500 weighs about 3 lb compared to the 4.5 lb on the Tamron.

No. I own the 100-400L and have already said the price on the 100-500 is reasonable. I also already said that the 150-600 lenses were all of lesser quality and I prefer the 100-400L and a crop.

My conclusion was that for 2X the price of the lesser lenses I'd hoped it could be a little faster.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I'm considering between than and driving to Oregon. BH would be easier, but Oregon I can use my cards so either Amex to give extra 1 year of warranty, or Chase for points.

I'm 5 hours north of Portland but you couldn't pay me to drive through Seattle and Tacoma. No way.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0