Here is the Canon Cinema EOS C70, to be announced this week.

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
I still do not understand why Canon cannot take the R5 and put the internals inside a body like this which is larger to give better cooling options and audio inputs. I would pay the same like a 1 series body for it. Hell, I would go as high as $10k!

We all know the answer. "Reasons!" and most have to do with protecting the cinema line.

I just hate that this is the slow introduction of APS-C to the RF mount (okay... super 35 but you get my point).

I just hope that the C70 will have at least eye detect. I may not be shooting "cinema" but I shoot video and it would be worth it.
So frustrating . Like you I’d play to play. They just seem hell bent on having 30 different models that have some clear limitation.

Great image, great colors, great lenses. Bring us our A7iii.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I still do not understand why Canon cannot take the R5 and put the internals inside a body like this which is larger to give better cooling options and audio inputs. I would pay the same like a 1 series body for it. Hell, I would go as high as $10k!

We all know the answer. "Reasons!" and most have to do with protecting the cinema line.

I just hate that this is the slow introduction of APS-C to the RF mount (okay... super 35 but you get my point).

I just hope that the C70 will have at least eye detect. I may not be shooting "cinema" but I shoot video and it would be worth it.

So wait for the 1RX! There is no other Full Frame Cinema camera yet besides the C500-2 which is $16k. When the 1RX drops next year, you probably won't get 8K, but you'll have a R5 killer in all but maximum resolution.

Upvote 0
I’m not a fan of Movies. How much would this camera cost? And would you be better off with the R-5?
where i live I’m guessing between $6499.99-$8499.99+tax would be reasonable considering the R5 was $6000 after tax. R5 is great but its a photography camera that can also shoot some great footage, i tend to do more video work so having them both will be nice.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
While I would agree IBIS in its current implementation has no place on a cinema camera, both Sony and Panasonic seemed to have figured out how to add it in mirrorless bodies without overheating.
S1H has a crippled 4K 60 and A7S III does ocasionally overheat.
A7S III just does not overheat reliably like R5 and R6.
Sony's weather sealing is typically nowhere what Canon does.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
So with the C50 and C70 are we going to see a C30 or C90? The Cinema EF Series is the C100, C200, C300, C500, and C700. Are we assuming with the C50 and C70 that these are the RF equivalents of the EF cameras? Meaning that the C70 will be the top of the line and C50? Very confusing what the naming of the scheme of the cinema line RF series would be.
The naming is based on the size of the camera.
C50 and C70 will be smaller than C100, but more they will be more capable and more expensive.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
S1H has a crippled 4K 60 and A7S III does ocasionally overheat.
A7S III just does not overheat reliably like R5 and R6.
Sony's weather sealing is typically nowhere what Canon does.
Crippled? As in cropped? To what?... Super 35? Well that’s what the Canon is. And the Sony only overheated when used with plastic lens mount lenses. So word to the wise... use quality glass and don’t worry about the overheating.
And whatever weather sealing the Sony has, must be better than the non weather sealed C70.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Crippled? As in cropped? To what?... Super 35? Well that’s what the Canon is. And the Sony only overheated when used with plastic lens mount lenses. So word to the wise... use quality glass and don’t worry about the overheating.
And whatever weather sealing the Sony has, must be better than the non weather sealed C70.
Lok, Max Tech, and a few others got A7S III to overheat with a quality lens.
The heat resistance of A7S III is impressive, but it is no substitute for a vented video camera.
R5 does not overheat in standard 4K and it is kind of ambitious what it tries to do in the other modes.
At the same time, I can't excuse R6 overheating at 4K 30.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Lok, Max Tech, and a few others got A7S III to overheat with a quality lens.
The heat resistance of A7S III is impressive, but it is no substitute for a vented video camera.
R5 does not overheat in standard 4K and it is kind of ambitious what it tries to do in the other modes.
At the same time, I can't excuse R6 overheating at 4K 30.
I had the R5 for a month. The overheating is a serious concern and frankly ruins the shooting experience. Strangely, I could run my R5 for 8 hours straight in HQ mode if connected externally to a Ninja V, but it would overheat with 30 minutes of recording internally. I won’t miss the unreliability.
The Sonys that overheated can be counted literally on one hand. I’ve seen them heat tortured with zero overheating. So I’ll put that down to preproduction issues on those specific cameras. I expect in virtually all normal use, overheating will not be any more of a concern in the Sony than it is in the C70.
That said, I won’t miss IBIS on the C70. I much prefer electronic stabilization or gyro post stabilization like the Sony supports.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I had the R5 for a month. The overheating is a serious concern and frankly ruins the shooting experience. Strangely, I could run my R5 for 8 hours straight in HQ mode if connected externally to a Ninja V, but it would overheat with 30 minutes of recording internally. I won’t miss the unreliability.
The Sonys that overheated can be counted literally on one hand. I’ve seen them heat tortured with zero overheating. So I’ll put that down to preproduction issues on those specific cameras. I expect in virtually all normal use, overheating will not be any more of a concern in the Sony than it is in the C70.
That said, I won’t miss IBIS on the C70. I much prefer electronic stabilization or gyro post stabilization like the Sony supports.
What Sony camera would not overheat shooting in 4k HQ internally?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Kam

Lumix GH5/A7SIII
Aug 27, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
A7siii (full readout)and A7iii and all of the Sony apsc cameras (down sampled 6k)

The R5 is line skipped and my R6’s over heat in down sampled 5.1k. No flame just the facts.

Everywhere I have read that the R6 can shoot for as long as you want if they aren't 30 minute long clips.
Basically 2-3 minute clips, turning the cam off between takes etc, makes it so it doesn't overheat , and even if it does, a 10 minute CD will bring back 10-20 mins of record time with the latest firmware.

Are you saying they overheat during normal short clip usage, and stay overheated(unusable)?

Upvote 0

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
Can’t wait to try it in my hands. I do live broadcasts, events and doc style shootings so having a reliable camera for me is a must. Most likely the C50 is going to be the camera for me (I want a Cinema R6/ upgraded C100 II, and that means 4K 10bit 50p, with all the cinema features).
I have for example used the a6400 as just a jib camera (for live) and it overheated. It was inside, not recording but on, room temp on around 23c. Had to spend minutes in between blowing on it to make it cool down. It was also externally powered, but the connection is really loose so the battery has to stay in.. I don’t want to deal with that as my responsibility.

Upvote 0

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA
Can’t wait to try it in my hands. I do live broadcasts, events and doc style shootings so having a reliable camera for me is a must. Most likely the C50 is going to be the camera for me (I want a Cinema R6/ upgraded C100 II, and that means 4K 10bit 50p, with all the cinema features).
I have for example used the a6400 as just a jib camera (for live) and it overheated. It was inside, not recording but on, room temp on around 23c. Had to spend minutes in between blowing on it to make it cool down. It was also externally powered, but the connection is really loose so the battery has to stay in.. I don’t want to deal with that as my responsibility.
I can say, I personally use an RP for this very purpose you mention here. I broadcast with it for 4 hours at a time, no problem. Might be a solution for you.

Upvote 0

domo_p1000

EOS-1D X MkIII | EOS-1D X MkII
CR Pro
Aug 22, 2013
Can we agree to ban the first person that says "No IBIS?" "It's DOA", "Canon cripple hammer" ? Or any combination of those, please? Before commenting please remember that no C-Line cameras have IBIS (that I know of).
I was hoping to bang on endlessly about how no one will ever buy it because it will be hopeless for high resolution stills!!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0