Here is the Canon Cinema EOS C70

nolifedigital

NO LIFE DIGITAL
CR Pro
Aug 5, 2020
Philadelphia
nolife.digital
We will get R5 instead of our 5DIV in spring of next year and it is going to be OK for us stills shooters, with occassional video short shots for a slideshow slow-mo purposes. So we are already sold. But not sure I would use R5 for the all-day video shoot. Any cinema camera without an IBIS, is absolutly not an answer, so once again - wonder what Canon target buyers has Canon in mind. Film makers can get C100 - C700, so who's Canon trying to attract here?

Cine's historically never have IBIS. Don't expect these to have it. Also I think they're targeted to anyone who wants an RF mount cine body (things like XLR, no overheating, massive array of recording modes/codecs, CLOG 2-3, internal ND, etc). I agree though, the gap between what's offered in a small mirrorless body and cine's is getting smaller.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Cine's historically never have IBIS. Don't expect these to have it. Also I think they're targeted to anyone who wants an RF mount cine body (things like XLR, no overheating, massive array of recording modes/codecs, CLOG 2-3, internal ND, etc). I agree though, the gap between what's offered in a small mirrorless body and cine's is getting smaller.

Well, that's my worry. Ppl using e.g. C300 III will wait for just C300 IV having an RF mount. Why should they opt for C50 or C70? Maybe as a B roll cameras? So - if Canon thinks, that C50 or C70 would attract professional wedding shooters, putting no IBIS there is a fatal mistake. They don't need to put stills mode there, as if they really want to compete to the likes of an A7SIII, they need perfect low-light performance, hence even a lower resolution than the R6's 20mpx, but IBIS has to be there. My bet is, that IBIS is going to be missing, which will immediately cut-off many potential buyers. That's why I ask about the market target for such cameras.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
That's an interesting observation...because, of course, the 1DC was a cinema camera based on the pro 1DX body. If we continue this analogy, and go in the opposite direction, will the expected mirrorless pro body, the R1, let's call it, be more like this body in shape and size? Is this more of a preview of what's to come for the expected R1?

isnt the r5 the r1 ? How can you get more pro than the r5 (for stills)?

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
isnt the r5 the r1 ? How can you get more pro than the r5 (for stills)?
Larger grip, larger battery, vertical grip, matching card slots, better weather sealing, more FPS (1DX III already does 20 mechanical, vs 12 on the R5), the additional 1-series software configuration options, unlimited video options,...

The 1 series is a very niche type of camera. There are multiple bodies in the Canon lineup that offer more capabilities, but in a very different package. I think that will become even more true now that we'll see top notch AF across multiple price points.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
Well, that's my worry. Ppl using e.g. C300 III will wait for just C300 IV having an RF mount. Why should they opt for C50 or C70? Maybe as a B roll cameras? So - if Canon thinks, that C50 or C70 would attract professional wedding shooters, putting no IBIS there is a fatal mistake. They don't need to put stills mode there, as if they really want to compete to the likes of an A7SIII, they need perfect low-light performance, hence even a lower resolution than the R6's 20mpx, but IBIS has to be there. My bet is, that IBIS is going to be missing, which will immediately cut-off many potential buyers. That's why I ask about the market target for such cameras.

doesn’t an rf lens using IS migitates this mostly?

Upvote 0
My wishlist for this camera:

4K24HQ equivalent with 10bit 422 and clog3 with no recording limit
13+ stops of real dynamic range
Equal or better low light as the R5

so far I think it’ll get all of it, and final point on my list:

ibis.

that’s where I’m afraid.

If I may be greedy, I’d also ask for a tilt up screen like on the a7iii. I Loathe flip screens.
Come canon.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
If I have a million dollars and all the time in the world, I wouldn't be buying this camera. But if I'm already in the RF mount and thinking of getting a cinema camera, this C50/70 will do just fine. The RF C200-C500 will be awhile, so EF C200-C500 users can breath a sigh of relief. Canon's 8K cameras will probably be RF mount.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012

Why does IBIS have to be there?

If you're a videographer you have a decent tripod and a gimbal. Gimbal footage looks a damn sight better than anything handheld with IBIS, and this camera looks like it was made to fly.

Panasonic didn't bother with IBIS in the GH5s because it isn't considered to be a useful feature for many pro filmmakers or videographers.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Is this safe To say that this is the A7SIII killer (that I’ve been desperately waiting for to stop me from switching to Sony ?
the way things unfold in my fantasy: r5 for everyday and travel, c70 for more professional filming needs such as short films. One system, all my needs covered.
I don't think so... I feel very frustrated every time when Canon releases a DSLR/hybrid camera. If you think Sony A7SIII uses two types of media: SD cards and CFexpress Type A versus CFexpress type B that Canon uses.... There is already a big difference in price and maybe interoperability with older cameras that you might already own. Sony have this wonderful primes with iris ring. Canon has something similar on RF mount, but you have to send the lens back to Canon Service to make it stepless. Sigma have released some wonderful prime lenses with iris ring for Sony. That iris can make a big difference for me.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Larger grip, larger battery, vertical grip, matching card slots, better weather sealing, more FPS (1DX III already does 20 mechanical, vs 12 on the R5), the additional 1-series software configuration options, unlimited video options,...[..]

I was about to say "No, it's limited to 16fps", but that's the mirror :) The white paper states "The mechanical shutter, in fact, can operate at up to 20 fps during Live View operation."
I wonder how far they can push the EFCS and if they push it to 24fps, would people start demanding it being used for video?

Upvote 0
I like how reserved CRGuy is on this one. Being very careful with the details. I like it. Excited for Canon. Feel that they're a bit more ambitious now than the last few years due to soooo much competition across the board.
Totally agree. Seems to be a lot more maturity around the Canon Rumors site and forum.

Unlike at sonyalpharumors where the guy posts literally anything he hears. "I think this is 99% untrue, but..." Not to mention the derogatory nature of the guy (using swear words in posts, etc). And then there's the forums... akin to monkeys hurling feces at each other in the wild.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I was about to say "No, it's limited to 16fps", but that's the mirror :) The white paper states "The mechanical shutter, in fact, can operate at up to 20 fps during Live View operation."
I wonder how far they can push the EFCS and if they push it to 24fps, would people start demanding it being used for video?
Yes, the mirror is holding the 1DX III back in some ways.

They definitely have made significant upgrades to their shutter tech. Not only is 20 FPS mechanical really nuts, so are the 300,000 and 500,000 actuation shutter ratings on the R6 and R5. I guess to push the speed further on any of these cameras, they would have to compromise the ratings.

I think shooting "video" with the shutter clicking away constantly would be very annoying. Not to mention that you could only do it for a couple of hours at those speeds before you exceed the shutter rating. 20+ fps is no joke.

Upvote 0
Why does IBIS have to be there?

If you're a videographer you have a decent tripod and a gimbal. Gimbal footage looks a damn sight better than anything handheld with IBIS, and this camera looks like it was made to fly.

Panasonic didn't bother with IBIS in the GH5s because it isn't considered to be a useful feature for many pro filmmakers or videographers.

not everyone likes gimbals. I hate gimbals. They make all your videos look like weddings in my opinion.
I personally prefer a more handheld organic shooting style.
but in most cases, I am just a one man set on my professional project and I can’t bring much more gear than the camera itself so no ibis might give me too jittery footage while ibis smoothens things just enough for my taste. I’ll go even further: I’ve been liking more the ibis on my a7riv than my R5 (for video only of course) because on my r5 it almost looking too “floaty” while on the Sony the footage looks really organic to me.
hope that makes sense. It makes sense to me at least !

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
That's an interesting observation...because, of course, the 1DC was a cinema camera based on the pro 1DX body. If we continue this analogy, and go in the opposite direction, will the expected mirrorless pro body, the R1, let's call it, be more like this body in shape and size? Is this more of a preview of what's to come for the expected R1?
The 1RX is going to look and feel almost exactly like the 1DX. Just like the R5 looks and feels like a 5D.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
not everyone likes gimbals. I hate gimbals. They make all your videos look like weddings in my opinion.
I personally prefer a more handheld organic shooting style.
And for those that want an organic feel in their moving shots that doesn’t make their viewer seasick is precisely why many people prefer steadicams.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0