Here is the Canon Cinema EOS C70

Waov, I came here to see if specs of C70 had been released and I discovered this conversation thread has changed direction.
The temperature moved up here quite a bit since my last post...

Not unusual in forums... In fact there is a reason for that.

As a sales person I learnt for my job that 70% of the message a person is sending comes from his body language. 15% from the tone you use and
ONLY 15% from the words or the real content.

In a forum, as only words are visible, it is easy to misunderstand a post, because in reality 85% of a normal message is missing !

I am sure, if you would have had the same exchanges in a bar, and you could have seen your respective body languagues and tones, this conversation would have gone another direction. I am convinced, only people with passion and good intentions are here.

It would be great to learn a bit more about the C70 specs !

Thanks

one hundred percent

Upvote 0
Just.... no. Or buy the right equipment for the job. This thread is about cinema cameras. Please, enough with the overheating garbage and these armchair solutions.

---

Actually, EVERY CAMERA is right for the job! We've put Canon 1Dc's with Zeiss Otus lenses into high and low orbit! We've put 25 year Sony VX3's camcorders under the wings of bombers. Even those TOUGH AS NAILS VTech cameras made for kids, we've strapped to diving bells in emergency conditions for cheap but good 480p or 720p footage of underwater operations.

Whatever it takes, we do it! We're not gonna put a bunch of $100,000+ Sony Venice or Red Monstro systems on the side of a space rocket to be wiped out by solar radiation so instead we bought all the Canon 1Dc's and 1Dx 2s and Sony A7s2s we could off Ebay and put in 500 gigabyte memory cards stuffed into external heat-resistant/rad-hardened metal and ceramic boxes with some delayed wireless transfer gadgets instead of Atmos external recorders and THEN strapped them to the side of a bunch of rockets and spaceplanes!

The C70 might actually work out for us if they release it this year.

Right now we're kinda stuck since we're only able to snipe so many Ebay camera sales. Our parent company is literally the single-handed-reason WHY it's pretty hard-to-find decent used Canon and Sony camera gear online. We snipe almost all the major auction sites and buy it all up! We buy THOUSANDS of used APS-C and Full Frame 2K and 4K cameras for our projects! If you can't find it used online, you can probably BLAME CANADA cuz we're likely the LARGEST source of the problem!

So once A**** finally does release those fancy Global Shutter Medium Format 60 fps DCI 8k/50.3 megapixel combined stills/video cameras with that super-fancy visually lossless codec in it THEN we can finally use those super-duper new cameras instead of the Canons.

But right now, we're stuck with our inventory of 5D mk2/3's, 7D2s, 1Dx/1Dx2's/1Dx3's and Sony/Fuji cameras which we can afford to destroy if we want point-of-view videos on high performance aerospace systems. Like I said earlier, we're not gonna put our C500/C700's or Phase Ones, Venices, Reds or Arri Alexas on the outside of an aerospace platform where it will be TOASTED to a nice sunburnt crisp!

Heck, we even use smartphones as cinema-style cameras! We've strapped a LOT of Sony Xperias with the OS'es modded for full RAW 10-bit video capture (the DSP on Xperia smartphones can handle RAW 10-bit HDR easy!) to the outside of jets and under the keels of boats. It works GREAT!

And again, once A**** finally releases their fancy new large-sensor DCI 8k super-smartphones with APS-C and 2/3rds inch global shutter sensors to the public, we can finally transfer the lower end jobs for skydivers, airplanes, robots, cars, boats, UAV's, etc to get GREAT footage from those! For now, we still rely on hundreds of modded Sony Xperias stuffed into polycarbonate boxes to do the lower end jobs!

---

So our suggestions come from LOTS OF EXPERIENCE! We're like the Marines! We make do with what we have! We modify, build/rebuild, change, add, re-configure, etc to MAKE old camera gear work for OUR HIGHLY CUSTOM NEEDS!

And YOU CAN TOO if you're willing to void your warranty conditions!

Anyways, this C70 sounds like a half-decent Stunt Camera and even at $3000 to $6000 would likely work GREAT as a "Crash Cam" or strapped to the underside of an F16/F18 !!! Can't wait to get a few samples. We'll put a few on pre-Purchase Order and I'll play with it when it comes in!

V

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
You find it funny/weird/whatever that people don't want to shed out $40K - $80K on a ARRI/RED/whatever? A lot more goes into owning a cinema camera like that. The team loves working with the Mini LF. Doesn't mean its not nice to have a small hybrid to pick up in a random burst of inspiration when we want to film something that isn't on set.... When there is no team... To question someone's profession, whether artist, filmmaker, photographer is a bad look . We use an array of cameras to achieve what we want to create. Interested to know what specs are getting listed?

Who called the camera useless? This guy throws insults in almost every thread. If someone has decided that at its current state, the R5 is not for them, why care? Because they criticized something that is a deal breaker on a specific camera body that another camera body does better?

Err, evil competitor brand boys infiltrating our forums to sabotage the precious... We swears to serve the master of the precious... We swear on the precious....

Look - there will always be selling points to each camera body that buyers will value differently. Maybe it'll be different in 6 months as Canon pushes more R5 firmware updates, but until then, I suspect there will be returns with valid reasons just as there will be valid purchases. No reason to be rude to those that vocalize they've decided to return it. The a7SIII is going to be better for some while the R5 will be better for others, and get this... Some will buy both while others pass on them entirely. What!? I know... Crazy to think about. Some will wait for this C70. Can't wait forever. Honestly... We could make an entertaining film with a 60D. Luckily, 10 years later, we have many camera bodies and tools to choose from for our specific use cases.

So many read through these threads with this protective, paranoid mindset... Not everyone is trying to bash Canon... Many want the exact opposite for the brand. Many are fans of all the brands because they really just love cameras.

---

In case anyone is wondering, the 29:59 record limit is a European Union-only TAXATION limit imposed by UK, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, etc on ALL video gear. They put an extra 10% to 35% tariff on top of the manufacturer wholesale price on ANY still camera or video system that can record for 30 minutes or more!

If it's LESS than 30 minutes the manufacturer DOES NOT have to pay the higher import tariff which is WHY many stills and video cameras have the 29:59 recording limitation! It makes your European-destination cameras 200 to 1000 Euros CHEAPER than they otherwise would be!

Sooooooo, DO NOT BLAME Sony, Canon, Panasonic, Fuji, etc for that recording length limitation but rather BLAME YOUR OWN GOVERNMENTS for such taxation crappola! Ergo, YOU NEED TO GO AND VOTE THEM ALL OUT OF OFFICE and put someone much more sensible into government so as to REMOVE those ridiculous import rules and taxes!

Here in North America (i.e. Canada and USA), we have no such ridiculous tax rules so all my still cameras have no such video recording length limitation! It's also WHY our audio and video gear tends to be the equivalent of HUNDREDS OF EUROS cheaper than in UK, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, etc.

V

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

---

In case anyone is wondering, the 29:59 record limit is a European Union-only TAXATION limit imposed by UK, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, etc on ALL video gear. They put an extra 10% to 35% tariff on top of the manufacturer wholesale price on ANY still camera or video system that can record for 30 minutes or more!

If it's LESS than 30 minutes the manufacturer DOES NOT have to pay the higher import tariff which is WHY many stills and video cameras have the 29:59 recording limitation! It makes your European-destination cameras 200 to 1000 Euros CHEAPER than they otherwise would be!

Sooooooo, DO NOT BLAME Sony, Canon, Panasonic, Fuji, etc for that recording length limitation but rather BLAME YOUR OWN GOVERNMENTS for such taxation crappola! Ergo, YOU NEED TO GO AND VOTE THEM ALL OUT OF OFFICE and put someone much more sensible into government so as to REMOVE those ridiculous import rules and taxes!

Here in North America (i.e. Canada and USA), we have no such ridiculous tax rules so all my still cameras have no such video recording length limitation! It's also WHY our audio and video gear tends to be the equivalent of HUNDREDS OF EUROS cheaper than in UK, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, etc.

V
What an interesting connection to my reply lol. Did you quote the right comment? Interesting points.

I think there are probably more pressing issues than the EU import duty tax on video cameras (29:59+) that one should be politically active for. What camera are you using? Your Canon stills cameras in NA will have the 29:59 limit, just like the rest of the world. This is odd considering rumors that the EU tax was supposedly fading away in 2019? Maybe that was just a rumor I heard during a deep slumber one summer night... Sony found a way to ditch the 30 minute limit worldwide on its latest hybrid, why didn't Canon? Maybe it doesn't matter since many use an external recorder on hybrids for the benefits. Easy to edit codecs, exposure tools, luts, brighter screen, time limit bypass... An *artificial* time limit ranks low on my list of fixes & wishes for our current family of hybrids though I wouldn't be opposed to abolishing it if given the chance. Now I know there are rumors floating around about an artificial heat limit placed on the R5 that I don't wish to entertain since it ventures into tin foil hat territory... Would be sad if at all true, but who knows.

Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
---

Actually, EVERY CAMERA is right for the job! We've put Canon 1Dc's with Zeiss Otus lenses into high and low orbit! We've put 25 year Sony VX3's camcorders under the wings of bombers. Even those TOUGH AS NAILS VTech cameras made for kids, we've strapped to diving bells in emergency conditions for cheap but good 480p or 720p footage of underwater operations.

Whatever it takes, we do it!

V

Your job seems to be an exciting one... Reading it, I felt the pleasure it must be to do it.
Maybe some days are hectic, I suppose sometimes it is tough to make it happen, but obviously exciting.

Any footages could be shared with us? Or is it confidential?

I would love to see what you get as a video result !

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
What an interesting connection to my reply lol. Did you quote the right comment? Interesting points.

I think there are probably more pressing issues than the EU import duty tax on video cameras (29:59+) that one should be politically active for. What camera are you using? Your Canon stills cameras in NA will have the 29:59 limit, just like the rest of the world. This is odd considering rumors that the EU tax was supposedly fading away in 2019? Maybe that was just a rumor I heard during a deep slumber one summer night... Sony found a way to ditch the 30 minute limit worldwide on its latest hybrid, why didn't Canon? Maybe it doesn't matter since many use an external recorder on hybrids for the benefits. Easy to edit codecs, exposure tools, luts, brighter screen, time limit bypass... An *artificial* time limit ranks low on my list of fixes & wishes for our current family of hybrids though I wouldn't be opposed to abolishing it if given the chance. Now I know there are rumors floating around about an artificial heat limit placed on the R5 that I don't wish to entertain since it ventures into tin foil hat territory... Would be sad if at all true, but who knows.
Correct the tax is gone. It is a software limitation.

Panasonic has the same 29:59 limit in the newest S5 , for overheating purposes they say.

It’s also only in the 4K and 120 . Regular 1080, there is no limit.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Your job seems to be an exciting one... Reading it, I felt the pleasure it must be to do it.
Maybe some days are hectic, I suppose sometimes it is tough to make it happen, but obviously exciting.

If he had a job like that, he wouldn't be talking about it online; they frown on that. In other words, he's a bullshitter.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

What is the point of a rumors site that doesn’t post rumored product photos?

It’s almost been a week, just post the pics, no?
Either three things come to my mind.
1) CRGuy wants to respect relationship with who ever gave the leak and has to abide by the ask as to when to show specs/pics to continue getting more leaks

2)Strategic timing to keep traction on CR forums

3) maybe was only given the above photo?

Who knows! Sure CR Guy will post about it soon.

Upvote 0

Darecinema

Addicted to lenses.
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2018
one hundred percent
Hey Stev, I had a funny experience today which I thought I'd share since it's kindaaaaa relevant to where this discussion was gone. A few months back I had a friend call for some sample photos she desperately needed for an audition for a beach catalog shoot and I'm like, hmmmm there isn't a beach within 5 hours of driving...but I have a water fountain in my apartment complex hahahaha. I said sure, she ran over and I realized I left my 5D Mk IV at the office. But I had the RP I had given my daughter for her birthday and I did the shoot.

Anywho today, I stumbled on the photos and thought to myself they came out pretty good for no preparations and a completely random location using the nearby building as my reflector (and lots of security guards watching intently - obviously because they were curious about the camera hahahaha). Then the metadata popped up and reminded they were shot on the RP and I had been thinking they were shot on the 5D Mark IV.

Anyways my point is this: if I hadn't seen the metadata I would've just assumed they were on the Mark IV. The RP is a way cheaper camera than the 5D Mark IV but it still takes terrific photos and yet I heard someone else on another post saying how terrible the RP sensor was. I really think no matter what the specs are of the C70 we can expect it to take terrific images, because at the end of the day, I think Canon understands that is what will be remembered.

Attachments

• RPsample-9733.jpg
    RPsample-9733.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 332
  • RPsample-9792.jpg
    RPsample-9792.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 334
  • RPsample-9971.jpg
    RPsample-9971.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 335
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
---

Whatever it takes, we do it! We're not gonna put a bunch of $100,000+ Sony Venice or Red Monstro systems on the side of a space rocket to be wiped out by solar radiation so instead we bought all the Canon 1Dc's and 1Dx 2s and Sony A7s2s we could off Ebay and put in 500 gigabyte memory cards stuffed into external heat-resistant/rad-hardened metal and ceramic boxes with some delayed wireless transfer gadgets instead of Atmos external recorders and THEN strapped them to the side of a bunch of rockets and spaceplanes!

The C70 might actually work out for us if they release it this year.

Right now we're kinda stuck since we're only able to snipe so many Ebay camera sales. Our parent company is literally the single-handed-reason WHY it's pretty hard-to-find decent used Canon and Sony camera gear online. We snipe almost all the major auction sites and buy it all up! We buy THOUSANDS of used APS-C and Full Frame 2K and 4K cameras for our projects! If you can't find it used online, you can probably BLAME CANADA cuz we're likely the LARGEST source of the problem!

So once A**** finally does release those fancy Global Shutter Medium Format 60 fps DCI 8k/50.3 megapixel combined stills/video cameras with that super-fancy visually lossless codec in it THEN we can finally use those super-duper new cameras instead of the Canons.

But right now, we're stuck with our inventory of 5D mk2/3's, 7D2s, 1Dx/1Dx2's/1Dx3's and Sony/Fuji cameras which we can afford to destroy if we want point-of-view videos on high performance aerospace systems. Like I said earlier, we're not gonna put our C500/C700's or Phase Ones, Venices, Reds or Arri Alexas on the outside of an aerospace platform where it will be TOASTED to a nice sunburnt crisp!

Heck, we even use smartphones as cinema-style cameras! We've strapped a LOT of Sony Xperias with the OS'es modded for full RAW 10-bit video capture (the DSP on Xperia smartphones can handle RAW 10-bit HDR easy!) to the outside of jets and under the keels of boats. It works GREAT!

And again, once A**** finally releases their fancy new large-sensor DCI 8k super-smartphones with APS-C and 2/3rds inch global shutter sensors to the public, we can finally transfer the lower end jobs for skydivers, airplanes, robots, cars, boats, UAV's, etc to get GREAT footage from those! For now, we still rely on hundreds of modded Sony Xperias stuffed into polycarbonate boxes to do the lower end jobs!

---

So our suggestions come from LOTS OF EXPERIENCE! We're like the Marines! We make do with what we have! We modify, build/rebuild, change, add, re-configure, etc to MAKE old camera gear work for OUR HIGHLY CUSTOM NEEDS!

And YOU CAN TOO if you're willing to void your warranty conditions!

Anyways, this C70 sounds like a half-decent Stunt Camera and even at $3000 to $6000 would likely work GREAT as a "Crash Cam" or strapped to the underside of an F16/F18 !!! Can't wait to get a few samples. We'll put a few on pre-Purchase Order and I'll play with it when it comes in!

V

I'm jealous of your job *-*

Upvote 0

---

We are a 3rd party supplier to a few SatPhoto and Stock Footage sites so you've likely already seen some of our footage. I don't usually do that part of teh photos supply so I don't actually know WHICH images were from us as I am in the Computer Graphics Development division. None of the imagery we have is assigned a Secret, Top Secret Compartmentalized Sensitive Information tag so just look for rocketry footage in google and if its from a 1Dc is probably ours.

Upvote 0
If he had a job like that, he wouldn't be talking about it online; they frown on that. In other words, he's a bullshitter.

---

None of the imagery or systems I have access to is assigned a Secret, Top Secret Compartmentalized Sensitive Information tag, so just look for rocketry footage in google and if its from a Canon camera it's probably ours.

It also means YES I actually CAN talk about as we are CANADIAN company and NOT under any auspices of the U.S. Department of Defence (other than as probably/likely a secret supplier -- Although I don't have access to that information --- I just do Computer Graphics Programming!)

It also helps that I've known THE OWNER personally for 30+ years so I'm given quite a bit more leeway than the actual employees. It also happens that I would NEVER BE GIVEN ACCESS to anything that is sensitive so your supposition is a moot point anyways.

I can definitely talk about the things I PERSONALLY KNOW ABOUT as I would NEVER be given sensitive stuff in the first place. Well..... maybe except for the upcoming 50.3 megapixel/DCI-8k 60 fps global shutter MF-sensor camera and the APS-2/3rds global shutter sensor super-smartphones that's all coming out soon enough ......... but that's only because I did the CODEC for them! ;-) :) ;-)

So NO! The parent company DOES NOT FROWN upon me blabbing about because I would never be given access to the S or TS:SCI stuff in the first place! And YES I helped stuff a 25 year old Sony VX3 handycam under the wing of a 1950's era bomber and tie a VTECH 480p kids camera into a polycarbonate box on a local diving bell (tough little suckers those VTECH kids cameras!) AND YES I've hacked a 1Dc onto the side of a 100km ceiling weather research rocket (the 1Dc gave SPECTACULAR footage by the way on that one!). Again, we make do with what we have and MAKE IT WORK!

I'm on the commercial side of things although I should note we do have a nice VERY TOP TOP TOP SUPER SECRET aerospace-planform sitting in a hangar at YVR i've been allowed to sit in the 4th seat on for a few trips --- Let us also say hint hint nudge nudge "I've Got My JAFO Wings" !!!

V

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2018
---

None of the imagery or systems I have access to is assigned a Secret, Top Secret Compartmentalized Sensitive Information tag, so just look for rocketry footage in google and if its from a Canon camera it's probably ours.

It also means YES I actually CAN talk about as we are CANADIAN company and NOT under any auspices of the U.S. Department of Defence (other than as probably/likely a secret supplier -- Although I don't have access to that information --- I just do Computer Graphics Programming!)

It also helps that I've known THE OWNER personally for 30+ years so I'm given quite a bit more leeway than the actual employees. It also happens that I would NEVER BE GIVEN ACCESS to anything that is sensitive so your supposition is a moot point anyways.

I can definitely talk about the things I PERSONALLY KNOW ABOUT as I would NEVER be given sensitive stuff in the first place. Well..... maybe except for the upcoming 50.3 megapixel/DCI-8k 60 fps global shutter MF-sensor camera and the APS-2/3rds global shutter sensor super-smartphones that's all coming out soon enough ......... but that's only because I did the CODEC for them! ;-) :) ;-)

So NO! The parent company DOES NOT FROWN upon me blabbing about because I would never be given access to the S or TS:SCI stuff in the first place! And YES I helped stuff a 25 year old Sony VX3 handycam under the wing of a 1950's era bomber and tie a VTECH 480p kids camera into a polycarbonate box on a local diving bell (tough little suckers those VTECH kids cameras!) AND YES I've hacked a 1Dc onto the side of a 100km ceiling weather research rocket (the 1Dc gave SPECTACULAR footage by the way on that one!). Again, we make do with what we have and MAKE IT WORK!

I'm on the commercial side of things although I should note we do have a nice VERY TOP TOP TOP SUPER SECRET aerospace-planform sitting in a hangar at YVR i've been allowed to sit in the 4th seat on for a few trips --- Let us also say hint hint nudge nudge "I've Got My JAFO Wings" !!!

V
Harry, my mate reckons the earth is flat. After sending that 1DC up there, could you please enlighten me as to whether it is or isn’t flat please.
I think your posts are great.

Upvote 0
Harry, my mate reckons the earth is flat. After sending that 1DC up there, could you please enlighten me as to whether it is or isn’t flat please.
I think your posts are great.

---

It's NEITHER Flat nor Round! It's actually an Oblate Spheroid. (i.e. it's a squished ball!) The imagery looks like a large parabola from 100km (about 328,000 feet) up with a VERY THIN looking dark blue/white/purple atmospheric boundary line that shows just how THIN our atmosphere really is and we better not mess up our air because there really isn't anywhere for us to go that's not already taken ..... ;-) :) ;-)

V

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2018
---

It's NEITHER Flat nor Round! It's actually an Oblate Spheroid. (i.e. it's a squished ball!) The imagery looks like a large parabola from 100km (about 328,000 feet) up with a VERY THIN looking dark blue/white/purple atmospheric boundary line that shows just how THIN our atmosphere really is and we better not mess up our air because there really isn't anywhere for us to go that's not already taken ..... ;-) :) ;-)

V
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Awesome.

Upvote 0
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Awesome.

---

The weather rocket with the Canon 1Dc is actually one of our older cameras we've put up into space up to 100km high (which is actually only NEAR-SPACE!).

Right now at 1500 km (900 miles) and 30,000 km (22,000 miles) above in eccentric non-stable orbits, are our custom-built, high end imaging systems which consist of 131,072 by 131,072 pixel (i.e. computer-oriented 128k by 128k resolution) at a 1:1 square aspect ratio GLOBAL SHUTTER CMOS image sensors organized as stereoscopic sensors that are doing continuous environmental imaging tasks taking a set of photos about every 30 seconds which get compressed into a giant intra-frame compressed Wavelet movie (i.e. All I-frames) downloaded twice per day allowing us to see multiple sunrises and sunsets over a single day. (1.5 hour to 2 hour orbits)

Since we put TWO lenses on both the satellites, the images we get are 3D once we display them on our RGB laser projection system in an interleaved manner which is the only system that can display 16-bits per channel colour (i.e.48 bits RGB color plus a 16-bit Alpha Channel = 64-bit RGBA pixels).

It's probably the ONLY fully ITAR-free western-nation satellite system in existence, so we can do whatever the heck we want with our custom built imagery and imaging/lens technology! I can ALSO tell you with full exposure, that we're using ACRYLIC lenses organized in series quite similar to a high end Canon Sports Broadcast Zoom lenses which allows us FULL zoom-in/zoom-out and full 6-axis stabilization ability.

Because they are plastic lenses, you need to shield from the sun via a millimetres-thick tungsten coating on all the outer assemblies and lens hoods to prevent UV-based and other EM-bands-based clouding, yellowing and embrittlement/deterioration. We use OPTICALLY CLEAR ACYRLIC because this specific custom formulation has a FAAAR superior refraction index and lower diffraction limits than fluorite glass lenses!

I can ALSO tell you that our maximum resolution is 3 cm per pixel (1.18 inches) which is WHY we have to use High Refraction Index Acrylic lens elements because glass lenses have a diffraction limit that limits true resolution to about 10 cm per pixel. SO YES I absolutely CAN read your licence plate and with appropriate DSP imaging software even some newspapers from high orbit!

ONLY the NRO/NSA has an imaging system that approaches ours and THAT is only because they have some really fancy Digital Signal Processing software on their mirror-based imaging systems (i.e. USA-224 or newer NRO-operated satellites) which can make a 20 to 30 cm per pixel image look like a 5-to-10 cm per pixel image. We're STILL BETTER though than the NRO's gear!

We have 8x the clarity and more than 64x the resolution of the ORIGINAL resolution of this image:

(the satellite image you see above was actually dumbed down by someone at the NRO to hide its true resolution -- This one is about 20 to 30 cm per pixel in my estimation while ours is 8x clearer/more detailed per axis)

V

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
---
...... We use OPTICALLY CLEAR ACYRLIC because this specific custom formulation has a FAAAR superior refraction index and lower diffraction limits than fluorite glass lenses!...
How does the material of the lens affect the diffraction limits - the diffraction limit is caused by the ring of material around the lens?

Upvote 0