Here is the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6, along with the announcement date

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
From my personal experience, I was in a similar boat 10 years ago and got the f4 version. To make a long story short, I ended up trading up to the 2.8 as soon as I could afford to do so.

It is my experience that the difference between f4 and f2.8 in moderate to dim lighting can be very noticeable, and even substantial in some cases. Say at f6.3 you’re at ISO 12,800. F4 is 1.3 stop difference = ISO 5,000. F2.8 is another stop = ISO 2,500. Considering that IQ on many camera sensors deteriorates considerably past 3200, this could affect print size, cropping power, etc. The 2.8 lens would allow for a much better shot than either the f4 or 6.3. But in good light you’ll see far less of a difference...

I suppose final results will ultimately depend on the camera body you’re shooting with.

What you are saying is all true: 1 stop can make a big difference. That is why I am not interested in f/2.8 (llike 15-35). I was so much hoping for the rumored 14-28 f/2 to appear. But apparently it is not anywhere close on the horizon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2016
1BB09008-4DBC-4876-8E86-39E71931221B.jpeg
I’m intrigued by the unusual rubber cover flap on the front right of the R5 (missing on the R, RP and R6). It’s unusual as it has quite a large opening for a thumb... could this be a vent hole to exhaust heat from the body? I imagine it’s the remote control terminal like on the 5d mkiv, but the thumb opening is larger, with the body slightly set back as clearance. Thoughts?

Upvote 0

andy.steele

CR Pro
Aug 30, 2016
View attachment 190905
I’m intrigued by the unusual rubber cover flap on the front right of the R5 (missing on the R, RP and R6). It’s unusual as it has quite a large opening for a thumb... could this be a vent hole to exhaust heat from the body? I imagine it’s the remote control terminal like on the 5d mkiv, but the thumb opening is larger, with the body slightly set back as clearance. Thoughts?
It’s the plug in for the Canon Remote Switch RS-80N3 same as on 5D Mark IV

Upvote 0
View attachment 190905

Intake for the turbo charger.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
Not the first time this has been proposed, but I don't need to replace the 7D2 with something slightly worse (in some important ways) than the six-year-old body I already have. I want to replace it with something six years better, which improves on the 7D2 by at least as much as the R5 improves on the 5D4.
I think the R5 will improve on the 7d2 by that type of improvement. In crop mode, you will have the reach of aps-c and still have 18-19 mp (assuming 45mp sensor), significantly improved AF similar to 1dx, faster frame rate, faster memory which should increase buffer (especially in crop mode), similar weather sealing of 5d series, and better image quality and high iso performance due to newer sensor tech and processor. On top of that, you will have full frame when you don’t need the extra reach and the associated improved IQ and high iso.

I’m looking for 7d2 upgrade, also. I think the R5 is a great option, but expensive for someone coming from a 7d2!

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
I get it. But the big whites are the least painfull lenses to use covertor with. Of course they can just make the lens longer and make it native. But I don't think they want to. They'd probably try to make it even shorter, faster AF etc
Good aspirations. But the worst solution is a
mismatched looking converter with the slop of two mounts. Who would pay $12,000 for that when a native version would be trivial?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Good aspirations. But the worst solution is a
mismatched looking converter with the slop of two mounts. Who would pay $12,000 for that when a native version would be trivial?
MIsmatched: The camera is black and the lens is white. As far as slop goes, never noticed.

Upvote 0
I'm curious - What discounts do you think there will be on Black Friday? R5/6, RF lenses?
I live in Germany and I'm always amazed by the Black Friday deals photographers get everywhere in the US. I don't live in the US but I see them every year on the rumor pages for the other camera companies. In Germany photographers are doomed. We get close to nothing lol. Maybe some deals on some tripods or strobes from smaller companies. That's it.

However we got shops like Saturn / Media Markt and they give discounts around 16%-20% on everything (maybe not on some Apple stuff), which means every photography gear they sell. This sounds really good, unfortunately some products, for example mabye something like the Canon EOS R or the EF 85mm 1.2, are only availabe in very small numbers. So as soon as the day starts at midnight you have to buy your stuff within the first minutes or the popular stuff might be sold out because everybody goes crazy and knows how this game is played. Sounds easy but it gets harder because the website might get too laggy.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
I think that the similar body style of these two cameras (R5 and R6) appears to be consistent with how Canon approached the similar appearance of the 5DIV and 6D line with similar ergonomics. I am glad to see this. The one difference on the R series cameras is the missing top info panel on the R6 but it does have a settings dial, which I like. The similar bodies however helps the user who is used to using one of these bodies easily pick up the other and work with them seemlessly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
What you are saying is all true: 1 stop can make a big difference. That is why I am not interested in f/2.8 (llike 15-35). I was so much hoping for the rumored 14-28 f/2 to appear. But apparently it is not anywhere close on the horizon.

It's discouraging, but I still think and hope we get it in 2021.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I think that the similar body style of these two cameras (R5 and R6) appears to be consistent with how Canon approached the similar appearance of the 5DIV and 6D line with similar ergonomics. I am glad to see this. It helps the user who is used to using one of these bodies easily pick up the other and work with them seemlessly.

I hope the ergonomics of the R5 are better than those of current R-mount bodies. The R and RP aren't awful, but neither are they comparable to the 5D-line of DSLRs.

. . . I'll be honest, I really just wanna hold one for a few minutes. I'll be gentle, I promise! :sneaky:

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
I hope the ergonomics of the R5 are better than those of current R-mount bodies. The R and RP aren't awful, but neither are they comparable to the 5D-line of DSLRs.

. . . I'll be honest, I really just wanna hold one for a few minutes. I'll be gentle, I promise! :sneaky:
Yeah it was a weird journey for me. When I got semi serious I got a 60D which was great at the time. I don't have big hands so it felt good. When I got serious I got a 5DIV which initially felt big, big eventually feels amazing in the hand. Going to the R it felt too small, but eventually I got used to it. I realized it was like going back to my 60D. I guess you just adjust. At least knowing it's a Canon you know will just feel good to hold.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
How about canon R5 exposure on focus point(s)? Any rumors?

On mirrorless Canons 'evaluative' already heavily weights exposure towards the selected focus point. It's not AF pointed linked spot focus, but it does a good job for things like my kids standing in front of a big window.

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
MIsmatched: The camera is black and the lens is white. As far as slop goes, never noticed.
Aesthetics are a personal matter but notice how the silver ring that matched the R body Mount transitions to a white lens quite nicely. Not so much to a white lens.
Functionally, it’s tolerable to have a dedicated adapter for a lens but juggling adapted and native lenses can be an I’m inconvenience at best.
(How can I get these ads to stop interrupting my typing?)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Aesthetics are a personal matter but notice how the silver ring that matched the R body Mount transitions to a white lens quite nicely. Not so much to a white lens.
Functionally, it’s tolerable to have a dedicated adapter for a lens but juggling adapted and native lenses can be an I’m inconvenience at best.
(How can I get these ads to stop interrupting my typing?)

The RF extenders are strange in that regard, they are white, so it goes from Body+silver ring -> completely with extender -> silver ring + big white.

Upvote 0