Here is the Canon EOS R6 Mark II & Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L IS USM

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Presumably, you mean at no extra cost to the customer. A more complicated mechanism will most likely cost more to manufacture, which means lower profit. Seems that Canon does not feel sufficiently compelled by the feature being available in competitor cameras to sacrifice their own profit.
That's unfortunate. I was very nearly tempted to switch to Nikon a couple of years ago, simply for the tilting screen. Only the cost of switching systems stopped me. I sometimes use an Olympus EM1 Mkii for macro work, and really appreciate the tilting screen.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2021
I don’t think people understand what a stacked sensor is then. All a stacked sensor is is a normal image sensor with DRAM built-in to improve readout speed. They could very well reuse the same 24MP imaging sensor from the R3 in a different configuration that isn’t stacked (which is probably what they did here). Sony’s done almost the exact same thing with their lineup, they offered a 24 MP sensor in the a7 III and a9/a9 II and it’s almost certainly the same imaging sensor being used in both bodies, just in different configurations.
not all "stacked sensor is a normal image sensor" - small sensors ( think smartphones or automobile apps) are already made as genuinely one chip (one piece of silicone on one wafer w/ DRAM really being in it) and ... while big sensors are separate sensor chip + attached 2nd chip behind ( DRAM on a separate chip - think AMD X3D CPUs - like AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - where extra cache is stacked on top of CPU - but not one piece of silicone are both ) ... and yes, in big sensor case you can use that imaging piece w/o stacking 2nd chip behind and get cost savings... but w/ small stacked sensors made as one chip from get go you can't get cost savings ( because you can't separate them - only you can bin out sensors where defects probably make DRAM non operational if it is designed to work in w/ DRAM disabled full or partially - but that is a long shot )

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Maybe my brain is ruined because of inflation and what not but does $2099 for a 1.8 L lens from Canon seem ... reasonable? I was expecting to be very disappointed with the 3000+ price tag.

That's roughly double what the EF 135mm f/2 L was priced. Of course the EF lens didn't have IS.

I'm sure the RF 135/1.8 will do much better reproducing flat test charts, but that's not why anyone chose to use the EF 135/2.

It will be interesting to see if the new RF 135 can be that much sharper and flatter field while still giving such smooth transitions between in focus and out of focus areas in the three dimensional world. If the EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS was any indication, the answer is "almost... but not quite."

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
As a photographer I prefer flipy cause it allows me to use the display in vertical shots (you know, a lot of use shoot vertically), the tilting would be mostly welcome for the classical horizontal video, but with vertical video exploding and all the vloging happening flip-out wins again cause it ads more options. The best solution is the one in the Sony A7rV I really hope that this will come to Canon someday...

Vertical video rules!

VerticalVideo.png

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I can hardly wait to see some photos from those of you buying this lens.

I am surprised this lens doesn't get the BR for CA. Maybe it doesn't need it? I hope not. The IS is a great upgrade. The control ring too.

Because they require more refractive power, wider angle lenses tend to suffer much more from CA than narrower angle lenses, all else being equal. The higher the refractive power, the more severe is the separation of the various wavelengths of visible light. Thus BR is more useful for wider angle lenses, like a 35mm f/1.4 prime, than longer lenses like a 135mm f/1.8.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0