Here is the Canon EOS R6 Mark II & Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L IS USM

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
You keep calling me a troll, absolute bullocks.
Can you explain to me, and the crowd, if in spot focus mode (selecting a point in the viewfinder to focus on), how can you assign a button on the back of the camera to switch to Eye-AF and make sure the camera STAYS in Eye-AF mode until you hit that button again?
And don’t give me that “read the manual” stuff, I’ve read it plenty times. Just tell me how to assign a button that switches from spot to eye (and back to spot without having to scroll all focus options) without having to hold it down the whole time.
I mentioned it already. As did someone else. Program one of your buttons to Direct AF Method Selection. And go to AF Page 1 and select AF Method and uncheck everything except for Face Detection and Point detection. Also on Page 1 make sure Eye Detection is enabled.

Alternatively, if you have an R5, you can set Custom Mode 1 to be set to Face Detection with Eye Detection enabled, set one of the buttons to cycle through C modes, and then go to Restrict Shooting Modes and deselect C2 and C3. This method is not possible on an R6 because it has a physical dial. (Just another reason for me to not get the R6II)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
You keep calling me a troll, absolute bullocks.
Can you explain to me, and the crowd, if in spot focus mode (selecting a point in the viewfinder to focus on), how can you assign a button on the back of the camera to switch to Eye-AF and make sure the camera STAYS in Eye-AF mode until you hit that button again?
And don’t give me that “read the manual” stuff, I’ve read it plenty times. Just tell me how to assign a button that switches from spot to eye (and back to spot without having to scroll all focus options) without having to hold it down the whole time.

I mentioned it already. As did someone else. Program one of your buttons to Direct AF Method Selection. And go to AF Page 1 and select AF Method and uncheck everything except for Face Detection and Point detection. Also on Page 1 make sure Eye Detection is enabled.

Alternatively, if you have an R5, you can set Custom Mode 1 to be set to Face Detection with Eye Detection enabled, set one of the buttons to cycle through C modes, and then go to Restrict Shooting Modes and deselect C2 and C3. This method is not possible on an R6 because it has a physical dial. (Just another reason for me to not get the R6II)

If you specifically want Spot AF (and not the standard single point AF) then unfortunately you can't switch off single point AF in the 'limit autofocus modes' screen.

In this case the best solution is dual back button focus. For events I have my AF-on button set for face+eye detection AF with servo, and then the * button set to spot AF one shot.

If you really wanted to only use the AF-on button just for focusing, you could set up your custom shooting modes on two other buttons, but that means you'd be using three buttons in total.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Still has the flippy and no tilt, too bad. Canon, would you please drop the flippy and incorporate a tilting screen. Or, add the tilt feature within the flippy that way photographers (not just content creators) will be happy.
From what I hear from content creators, you have it backwards. They want tilt so they are not looking to the side of the camera. As a photographer, I have had both and there is no way I would prefer a tilt screen to the flip screen, which is far more versatile.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The sensor read speed is greatly reduced. Reduced rolling shutter is one benefit but it will be interesting to know what the flash sync speed will be... it should be much faster than 1/200s for instance. The R5's sync speed is 1/200s (mechanical shutter) and 1/250s (Electronic first curtain).

The Z9 (no mechanical shutter) achieves 1/200s with electronic shutter due to the fast sensor readout.
The A1 achieves 1/400s with mechanical shutter and up to 1/200s electronic shutter
The R3 is:
Mechanical1/200 sec. or slower
Elec. 1st-curtain1/250 sec. or slower
Electronic1/180 sec. or slower

I don't believe the R5 can use flash with full electronic shutter.

Upvote 0
The R3 is:
Mechanical1/200 sec. or slower
Elec. 1st-curtain1/250 sec. or slower
Electronic1/180 sec. or slower

I don't believe the R5 can use flash with full electronic shutter.
Correct. The R5 (to my knowledge) cannot use flash with electronic shutter. I guess because the sync speed would be poor relative to R3/Z9/A1.
I am surprised that the R3 doesn't have faster for mech/EFCS though. 1/180s is close to Z9/A1 though.

Upvote 0
From what I hear from content creators, you have it backwards. They want tilt so they are not looking to the side of the camera. As a photographer, I have had both and there is no way I would prefer a tilt screen to the flip screen, which is far more versatile.
The ideal scenario for both tilt and flip is the combined option that the Z9/A7RV/S1H has.
Best of both worlds but we don't know the longevity of it yet. You would expect that the Nikon did extensive testing on it for their flagship.

It is great that the major manufacturers have at least released flippy screens. I recall the arguments that Canon had fixed screens as the others weren't rugged enough despite the screen always being exposed vs turned around when not used. Tilt-only screens still suffer from being always exposed and useless in portrait mode but don't hit L plate/HDMI cabling etc.

Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
If you specifically want Spot AF (and not the standard single point AF) then unfortunately you can't switch off single point AF in the 'limit autofocus modes' screen.

In this case the best solution is dual back button focus. For events I have my AF-on button set for face+eye detection AF with servo, and then the * button set to spot AF one shot.

If you really wanted to only use the AF-on button just for focusing, you could set up your custom shooting modes on two other buttons, but that means you'd be using three buttons in total.
Depends on your tolerance for toggling and the importance of toggle vs hold, in deciding which is better. I have three options I toggle between right now which works great, but four it still tolerable for me. If the hard toggle is what he's looking for and not holding something down, on a R5/R3 Custom mode button switching is cleanest, but on an R6 Direct AF Method Selection still gives you the hard toggle. To me it sounded like that's what was important, rather than just having quick access through actively holding down a button for multiple AF-On/Registered settings buttons.

Personally, I've stopped using back button focus altogether. It was essential on the 6D with its single cross type point, and any 9 Point Auto-Focus camera. The 7DII and 5DIV were where I was starting to break away from it, but especially on the 5DIV the focus points still were too clustered towards the center. But with the R6 and R5, you can focus wherever you want, initial point tracking with servo eye autofocus is amazing, and the speed at which the joystick moves the AF point is pretty quick and if it's not quick enough I can just touch the screen. It's just extra work to hold down an extra button when the tech has allowed for other easier ways imo.

Obviously it depends on your needs and what you're shooting, but I'm happy to be done with it.
Can't you use dual back button focus? There are lots of you tube videos and web sites with explanations. It isn't in the manual but is "widely" used to switch between spot and eye-AF
The Set button also resets the spot back to the centre point as well which is useful for me.
If you set the joystick to be able to control auto-focus point selection (The only option other than Off), pressing down on it will also re-center the the point. I find that more conveniently placed, and it frees up Set to be programmed to whatever else you want.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Am I losing my mind or are all the people who think this camera is going to have a stacked sensor high? How on earth does anyone think Canon is going to release a stacked sensor in a $2500 camera when the only other body with a stacked sensor in their lineup costs $6000? If any body in their lineup is getting an upgrade to a stacked sensor it’s the R5, not this prosumer level body lol If you want a 24MP stacked sensor for $2000 go buy a used a9.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Am I losing my mind or are all the people who think this camera is going to have a stacked sensor high? How on earth does anyone think Canon is going to release a stacked sensor in a $2500 camera when the only other body with a stacked sensor in their lineup costs $6000? If any body in their lineup is getting an upgrade to a stacked sensor it’s the R5, not this prosumer level body lol If you want a 24MP stacked sensor for $2000 go buy a used a9.

If you've not been following along, some of us speculated it would have a stacked sensor because Canon's other new-ish 24MP full frame sensor is a stacked sensor. If this one isn't stacked, then it's a new design. Canon has a history of reusing sensors in different products (including much lower end products), so this is why we've been discussing it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0