Here is the Canon EOS R6

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
In fact, the most common Canon behavior is to repurpose older sensors by changing the microlenses, and then call them "*all* new."
This could be a re-warmed 6D sensor, the new 1D sensor, or something completely different. In my mind, this is the very crux of whether this is a useful b-unit camera versus the R5.
I doubt it is the 6d sensor as that sensor would bot be able to perform at the level of the R6. So it pretty much HAS to be the 1dx3 sensor.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
That's nice. Now tell that to the services offering prints for sale. They don't let you. I don't know how many million times I have to repeat myself. This isn't about printing your own poster at your fine art print store. This is about printing for sale. Not for gigs, not for yourself. You can't print anything larger than 15 inch with 20mp. It won't be accepted. It's called quality standards. It may be enough for you. It's not for most print services. 15-16 inches is the most you can do with 20mp. And that's nothing.
I have hit specified pixel numbers before in commercial work. Funny thing is I interpolated to four times the size with a basic PS 'resize bigger' command and all the resubmitted images were accepted without question, indeed I was told they were "very good".

Not belittling your point, just giving my personal experiences on the issue.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
That's nice. Now tell that to the services offering prints for sale. They don't let you. I don't know how many million times I have to repeat myself. This isn't about printing your own poster at your fine art print store. This is about printing for sale. Not for gigs, not for yourself. You can't print anything larger than 15 inch with 20mp. It won't be accepted. It's called quality standards.
I think it's usually just workflow standards, and upscaling your image in Photoshop will help to pass them.

(Are you sure it won't? Have you tried?)

Upvote 0
Then the 1DX must be a joke too. I feel sorry for those people who bought it.

1DX is a sports camera where they want speed and small file size for quick transfer. it's a true sports photographers camera. they don't give a rats ass about pixels. they just want the burst mode to get the moment and send the file in so they get their check. for portraits, landscape... the pixels are more important. you might think 20 is fine and dandy but not everyone has the same needs.

Upvote 0
You do realize just about every billboard you've ever seen is images printed from cameras of less than 20mp. Then there is the new 1DXIII...at 20mp it must be a joke too. Guys that think their equipment makes them a photographer make me laugh. A good photographer can take a Kodak Instamatic 110 and do good work with it.

yeah, 10Mp photos look great from 3 blocks away. you need a lot more pixels for an 18"x24" print on your living room wall, unless you are going to look at it from your neighbors house? at 20Mp you have to get it right in camera because cropping is gonna blow, just a reality

Upvote 0
I'm still wondering about Eye AF. the rumor of Head AF was, well a head scratcher, why would a more expensive camera not have eye AF when the EOS R does? it's the thing that my next camera has to have. I love to shoot wide open portraits and my 6DII captures beautiful images, when the focus hits, but that's a bit of Russian roulette.

if the R6 doesn't have Eye AF it won't be on my wish list. I'll just keep shooting the 6DII. don't care at all about video so the big specs about video don't do anything for me.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
yeah, 10Mp photos look great from 3 blocks away. you need a lot more pixels for an 18"x24" print on your living room wall, unless you are going to look at it from your neighbors house? at 20Mp you have to get it right in camera because cropping is gonna blow, just a reality
I love when people come to accept things as normal when it wasn't always the case. Research the 32 page National Geographic cover article called 'The Future of Flying' by Joe McNally back in 2003.

"McNally clinched his argument with the high quality of some 16 x 20 and 20 x 30-inch inkjet prints. He'd had them made from Nikon D1X photos, which he'd shot earlier that year on the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman. The prints impressed several key figures at the magazine."
The D1X was a 5.4mp 1.5 crop camera.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/multi_pageff3f.html?cid=7-6450-6561

So whilst you all might need a gazillion MP, AF point linked spot metering, eye AF, 16 stops of dynamic range, 20 fps, blah blah blah some photographers were out there doing it with a lot less a long time ago. To me it just shows how good those photographers really were creating those images nearly 20 years ago with gear most of you wouldn't pick up if it was given to you.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I'm still wondering about Eye AF. the rumor of Head AF was, well a head scratcher, why would a more expensive camera not have eye AF when the EOS R does? it's the thing that my next camera has to have. I love to shoot wide open portraits and my 6DII captures beautiful images, when the focus hits, but that's a bit of Russian roulette.

if the R6 doesn't have Eye AF it won't be on my wish list. I'll just keep shooting the 6DII. don't care at all about video so the big specs about video don't do anything for me.
I think head AF means that it recognizes the shape of a head and holds focus there when the eyes aren't visible. i.e. the subject temporarily looks away. It's a good thing. It's all good so far. They'll be plenty of time for panic when the final specs come out on Thursday.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Shane

Shane
Nov 3, 2014
Chicago
I'm just excited there is a joystick haha. I love the R but I shot weddings with two 5dmk2, then two 5D3, then two 5DSR bodies and then two 5D4 bodies and I just got used to using single point focus and the joystick and choosing where to focus. Sure for family and portrait shots I'm loving the eye detect, but for receptions I miss that joystick. The thumb drag on the R has been good for now, but this and the R5 just look like they will be so much like what I am used to. For weddings 20 pixels works for me. I hated the slow import time and the huge delays in editing the 5DSR images and the bad low light noise. Im leaning towards two R6 bodies and keeping an R for portraits where I want a few more pixels. If next year goes really well an R5 would be great for senior portraits and engagements. The great thing is it's just looking good for those of us who invested in RF glass haha.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Guys...I'm not a big photographer but the $2500 rumored price is too much for R6...it cant justify $1000 more than R {expected to be discounted to $1500}.. R6 is a beast but thats for very much professional person
$1500 is a great price for the EOS R and you would likely be very pleased with it. 'Up to' $2500 for the R6 would be the initial (pre-discount) price payable by Early Adopters - and for that they will get (likely - we don't know for sure) the same sensor as the 1DX III, the same EVF as the R5, brand spanking new IBIS, not to mention whatever upgraded AF etc trickery is included. There are now a wide range of price and spec points for Canon FF mirrorless bodies, and all of that (in my opinion) is a great thing - and light-years ahead of where Canon users were 2 yers ago.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
First of all. How friggen close do you stand to view an image? With an A3 size print I view from about 4 feet away. The bigger the print, the further you will view it from. Looking at the A3 size prints on my wall shot with a completely unusable 20mp crop sensor 7d2(some of which are actually quite heavily cropped) they look absolutely perfect. If I stick my nose against the glass then yes. I can see a loss of detail in a whisker here or there. But guess what. I also can't see the image at all. I have a 36x20 canvas on my wall across the room that was shot on an even worse than useless 18mp(yes, the dreaded 18mp canon sensor that is apparently the WORST sensor ever made) and it looks great. It was slightly cropped but not heavily and I can view it from about 5 feet(which is the distance required to see the image as a whole) and it looks fine.
Not everyone is printing at 10ft across and not everyone is silly enough to view a print from 2 inches away. IF you are in a situation where you require more megapickles then cool. You have the options. But to say you cannot make a decent sized print of 20 or even 10megapickles then you are full of it. It CAN be done. It is OFTEN done. And the images are a joy to behold(as long as the image itself is a pleasing image) IF you think that more pickles will make a bad image look good as a big print then you will get an unpleasant shock

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2019
$1500 is a great price for the EOS R and you would likely be very pleased with it. 'Up to' $2500 for the R6 would be the initial (pre-discount) price payable by Early Adopters - and for that they will get (likely - we don't know for sure) the same sensor as the 1DX III, the same EVF as the R5, brand spanking new IBIS, not to mention whatever upgraded AF etc trickery is included. There are now a wide range of price and spec points for Canon FF mirrorless bodies, and all of that (in my opinion) is a great thing - and light-years ahead of where Canon users were 2 yers ago.
Absolutely agreed... i have one question... is it like more MP adds upto bad low light noise? or there is no relation!

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Absolutely agreed... i have one question... is it like more MP adds upto bad low light noise? or there is no relation!
Depends entirely on the camera. I went from a 6D to an EOS R (which has the same sensor as the 5Div - 32MP) and I noticed what I thought was a slight increase in noise, but only in some situations and ISOs, and on the other hand I can recover more from shadows and highlights than I used to. Consequently, being partly a macro photographer who likes cropping, I think the extra MP are great. I don't have experience of the higher MP sensors, but there will always be trade-offs against the advantages you get.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018

At an image level: NO. If you down-sample the image of a 50MP sensor to 20MP and compare it with the image of a 20MP sensor that is otherwise similar, the down-sampled image is likely cleaner (less noise).

At a pixel level: YES. A 50MP sensor has smaller photo sites and at 1:1 magnification the noise appears to be higher.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
1DX is a sports camera where they want speed and small file size for quick transfer. it's a true sports photographers camera. they don't give a rats ass about pixels. they just want the burst mode to get the moment and send the file in so they get their check. for portraits, landscape... the pixels are more important. you might think 20 is fine and dandy but not everyone has the same needs.

Good photographers give a "rats ass" about pixels - full stop.

Upvote 0
If it's $2k-$2.5k, 20MP, Robust and fast AF, decent buffer along with the 12fps then this will be the go to wildlife mirrorless camera for many people. The 600 and 800 STM primes are telling me Canon really wants the bulk of the bird and wildlife shooters to come in on their R system now. Even on a low budget you can use EF-S lenses without any issue. IF this is priced right it may be Canon's best mid-range seller.

completely agree with you
i think some of the slr guys are focused a bit too much on other things that won’t matter as much. If canon nails the things you mention and it’s priced right without a cripple then this will sell really well.

These 2 cameras will be canons best items by far for new customers

Upvote 0