Here is the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Don't say things like that...:) You've got to say "I won't buy this unless it is under $1,500" :)

Really interesting lens if it brings something new, and just the sort of thing that might persuade a skeptic to go mirrorless...... Hmnnnnnnn
RF 100 mm macro? Isn't that something new?

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
I almost guarantee you that the SA adjustment ring is related to a macro function. It would make absolutely no sense for Canon to add excess portrait-related features to a professional high-end 1:1 macro lens, I know people use this for portraits, but the point of a 1:1 macro is... macro. I'm more willing to believe that the SA is for focus bracketing, or possibly for higher than 1:1 macro. Possibly "Step Adjustment control?"

Sidenote: It happens a 25mm extension tube gives you 1.4X life size on a 100mm macro. If the patent says there's a 1.4X macro, I wouldnt be surprised if this pulls off some sort of internal extension tube for bonus macro lengths.
Nothing but a support for focus bracketing makes sense for an extra control ring @ this lens. Step Adjustment is a very hot candidate decrypting this abbreviation "SA".

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I am missing the tripod collar.
It is more than helpful for macro work.
It will be announced at the same time, probably a $250 option. Wait six months and there will be very good quality 3rd party versions. I got a Vello collar for my EF 100 Macro and it is a perfect copy in form, fit, and function.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
It will be announced at the same time, probably a $250 option. Wait six months and there will be very good quality 3rd party versions. I got a Vello collar for my EF 100 Macro and it is a perfect copy in form, fit, and function.

I'm generally willing to trust a third party for what is, essentially, an inert piece of metal. Given, of course, that it's actually precisely the right shape.

Batteries? No way.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Its a soft focus control which adjusts Spherical Abberation. Its basically a dual focus system as described in this patent.

According to the patent application, the first focusing module would be used for the traditional purpose of focusing on the subject matter. The other module, however, isn't for the sake of focusing, but to intentionally soften the image using spherical aberration.

The patent application details two specific challenges designing such a lens: firstly it covers a way to focus this two group design (which is a challenge to do when spherical aberration is present in the image). Secondly it describes a way to able to vary the amount of soft-focus, so you can add as much or as little spherical aberration as you see fit for the scene, without having to refocus: something not possible with past soft-focus lenses.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2019
I believe that there are Canon patents for a macro lens with soft focus control. It's very difficult to know if this what this SA ring is for or if it is another unknown function. As others have pointed out, the 26cm range on the focus limiter indicates that this does focus closer than 1:1 as the minimum focus distance of a 100mm 1:1 macro lens is typically around 30cm. This would tally with the 1.4x rumours. The Laowa 100mm achieves 2x at 24.7cm.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I'm generally willing to trust a third party for what is, essentially, an inert piece of metal. Given, of course, that it's actually precisely the right shape.

Batteries? No way.
Maybe it's just me and I'm sure the know it alls will chime it stating that as a fact but I have always felt better about using my macro work with the body (via L Bracket) sliding on the rack (Novoflex Castel Q) than a lens ring option.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

Batteries? No way.
100% agree. Indeed I was reluctant to even get the Vello but it was a special offer price from B&H so I thought if it was garbage I could return it and it was cheap enough to give it a try anyway (it had excellent reviews too). I couldn't be more impressed with it, literally indistinguishable from a Canon one that cost 5 times as much but for the fact it has Vello written on it. Apparently they have now done two versions, the earlier one doesn't get as good ratings but the second one is, from my limited experience, perfect.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
100% agree. Indeed I was reluctant to even get the Vello but it was a special offer price from B&H so I thought if it was garbage I could return it and it was cheap enough to give it a try anyway (it had excellent reviews too). I couldn't be more impressed with it, literally indistinguishable from a Canon one that cost 5 times as much but for the fact it has Vello written on it. Apparently they have now done two versions, the earlier one doesn't get as good ratings but the second one is, from my limited experience, perfect.

In my case I bought a Vello EF to EF-M adapter (or should I say that the other way round?) because I couldn't stomach paying 200 bucks for one from Canon. (I eventually found a couple of Canon-brand ones for cheap.) That's another inert item, but probably much more finicky in terms of having to be precisely made.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
This RF100mm on an EOS R6 (20Mpx) or on an R5 (45 Mpx): would that be a huge difference in image quality? (Or on an EOS Rp 26 Mpx?) My question is: is sensor resolution very important for Macro?
For context, I use EF 100mm and EF 180mm macros on R5, primarily for insect photography. These live subjects are nervous and difficult to approach, or often can't be approached closely without casting a shadow on them. So high resolution is really useful. It enables you to shoot from further back, and then crop down - saving you the cost and weight of a longer focal length such as the EF 180mm macro.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Despite the apparent consensus in the recent comments I cannot see a SA ("Spherical Aberration") but rather a 5A ("Five Axis"?) - the "0.5" in the focus limit range uses the same font.

View attachment 196802
But why would you need or want a row of negative-positive markers, if this is for 5-axis stabilisation?
A simple on-off switch would let you choose between optical and combined optical/IBIS.

A spherical aberration control would make a lot more sense, as one of the biggest problems with macro, is the onion-ring bokeh on out-of-focus highlights, and a spherical ab controller would allow that to be minimised.

I think the resolution of photos of the lens is toolow to enable anyone to say with confidence whether it is "5A" or "SA", but my money is on the latter.

Upvote 0
A great lens, I am sure. But again. The RF lenses are almost bigger than the Fuji GFX medium format system. Never understood the need of that RF mount, if it means bigger and heavier.

Of all things that constitute owning a lens, complaining about literal 10's of grams or even prioritizing it. Lol Deralick Zoolander's on your phones.

Attachments

• maxresdefault-1.jpg
    maxresdefault-1.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 0