Here is the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Update: “SA Control” is spherical aberration control, this macro lens is also 1.4:1 magnification.
The first images of the upcoming Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro have leaked ahead of the official announcement, which is expected this month.
What is interesting about this lens is on the barrel. It says “SA Control” and there is a scale on the barrel. If you have any idea what that is, sound off on the forum! This lens still has the normal manual focus ring, as well as the control ring. So this is something new. Could it be related to a recent patent?
The official announcement date and pricing have yet to leak out...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Interesting... the lens looks fairly similar to the EF 100mm L IS f/2.8 macro (which I own).
Obviously the control ring at the front (a given) was going to be different / new.
The "SA Control" I am guessing is some ability to change the dynamics of spherical aberration perhaps?
If so, that's something new and quite interesting! I love my EF 100mm L IS macro... and had expected to use it with a RF-EF converter.
Though if there are certain benefits of the new RF 100mm f/2.8 lens, that may persuade me to buy it in time.... and use it instead!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
I’m hoping it’s for “Slider Adjustment” or “Slider Advance”. The major missing feature in macro work is the ability to focus stack using just the lens. When you’re shooting magnified subjects, you often need to rely on a focus rail to incrementally slide the lens in and out to capture the narrow range in focus to stack. Simply moving the internal components in and out would achieve this control without the need of a rail and tripod. What a revolutionary idea this would be for macro shooting!!

EDIT:
Having looked at the patent, I’m gonna guess it does move the entire internal assembly in and out. SA could also be “Scale Adjustment” where you could change the magnification from 1:1 to 1.4:1 etc.

EDIT 2:
I’m tossing out my earlier wishful thinking in favor of SA meaning “Smoothing Adjustment”. The feature is likely similar to the Defocus Image Control found on the Nikon 105mm f/2 DC lens. Essentially you can control bokeh appearance in the foreground and background by turning the ring. ‘-‘ is for foreground adjustment and ‘+’ is for background adjustment. This is Canon’s patented solution for matching Nikon’s solution.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 41 users
Upvote 0
I’m hoping it’s for “Slider Adjustment” or “Slider Advance”. The major missing feature in macro work is the ability to focus stack using just the lens. When you’re shooting magnified subjects, you often need to rely on a focus rail to incrementally slide the lens in and out to capture the narrow range in focus to stack. Simply moving the internal components in and out would achieve this control without the need of a rail and tripod. What a revolutionary idea this would be for macro shooting!!
+1 Love the slider adjustment concept. Would make focus stacking way easier and precise theoretically.

Deutsch Photography: NYC’s Top Corporate, Executive and Actor Headshot Photographer NYC

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

EDIT:
Having looked at the patent, I’m gonna guess it does move the entire internal assembly in and out. SA could also be “Scale Adjustment” where you could change the magnification from 1:1 to 1.4:1 etc.
If true this would be an amazing and innovative feature. Mad props for Canon pushing the envelope on what these lenses can do.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
Woah! If that's positive and negative spherical aberration control it might be able to blur out defocused areas towards the edges in front or behind depending on +or -?? My optics knowledge is limited haha
Essentially would blur corners more and split the light spectrum. I can’t imagine you would want to control this aside from I don’t think you can control it. Canon is using a special blue coating that helps realign the spectrum.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

EDIT:
This is is a really awesome comment. My mind went right where you were pointing. Thanks for taking it there. I also think it makes a ton of sense.

Edit: Aren’t both possible? I can turn my 70-210mm into a passable macro lens with the right extension tubes.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0