Here is the official Canon USA press release for the Canon EOS R3

Sep 17, 2014
8 stops of internal image stabilization. That’s impressive.

So what does the combined come out to with the new RF lenses? 10? Or 12?

It doesn't work like that. The R5 also has "up to" 8 stops of stabilization only with IBIS for specific lenses where the image circle is big enough.
Combined with lens IS won't add more than 0.5 stops.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It doesn't work like that. The R5 also has "up to" 8 stops of stabilization only with IBIS for specific lenses where the image circle is big enough.
Combined with lens IS won't add more than 0.5 stops.
3 When combined with certain IS lenses such as the RF24-105mm F4 IS L USM, or when used with certain non-IS lenses as well.

Your statement differs from Canon’s. I’ll go out in a limb and say they’re right and you’re wrong.

But, that same footnote (and the 8-stops with certain non- IS lenses) may also apply to the R5.

Edit - my misreading, sorry. Thanks to @raptor3x for the correction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

calfoto

Long Time Lurker
CR Pro
Feb 27, 2013
An authorized Canon retailer cannot go above the MSRP. They can go below MSRP in-store only.
I'm assuming you're the authority on that topic - I'm just thinking back to the R5 and the number of eBay "New in Box" ones going for $1000+ or more than list. Of course they weren't "Authorized" dealers - but they might have had a pretty close relationship with some I'm thinking.:unsure:

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
So I would say I’m the target audience for this camera - a motorsports photographer that also covers events, weddings, commercial, video you name it. This is not really an exciting…scratch that, it’s not really a surprising release from Canon. Part of me was hoping for some great big surprise…but they would have probably mentioned pixel-shift or DGO dynamic range if it had it, so that’s a bummer. But in all reality, the R5 was far too much resolution for me to shoot sports with for over a year. I shredded through drives all year long and my friends and I were all asking for a mRAW or sRAW option. Still, the R5 was absolutely better than my 1DX Mark II ever was at autofocus or image quality (maybe MAYBE it was better in low light, but not by much in the ISO range I play in) and the R6 was a great option for keeping files size back at my comfortable 20mp of my 1DXII. So this is basically the perfect sports camera for me now and will be my main video camera moving forward. The R5 is still my commercial and automotive choice and the R6 is my real estate camera and backup. Had this camera come with more resolution, it could have been more useful for me…but I’m pretty sure this is going to be one hell of a camera.

It’s just a shame Canon priced it at $6,000 up against Sony’s significantly more capable A1 at $6,500 and soon the Nikon Z9….that stings for sure and will be the topic DPReview and all the other reviewers will take points off for. I really won’t blame them for it. If you look at this compared to the A9II I do have to wonder what the hell they’re thinking with a $1500 price hike over that camera…I could see $600-800 or even $1000, but $1500 is a big difference.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
3 When combined with certain IS lenses such as the RF24-105mm F4 IS L USM, or when used with certain non-IS lenses as well.

Your statement differs from Canon’s. I’ll go out in a limb and say they’re right and you’re wrong.

But, that same footnote (and the 8-stops with certain non- IS lenses) may also apply to the R5.
I think you may have misread his post. He's saying that having lens IS or not is not so much the limiting factor for the stabilization rating as the size of the imaging circle projected by the lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
What do you suppose the dynamic range is?
I suppose it’s the ratio between the smallest and largest possible values of a changeable quantity, or if you prefer the ratio between the full well capacity and the noise floor, or if you prefer the visual interpretation of the above based on an 8x10" print viewed at a distance of about arms length.

Oh, you meant the dynamic range of the R3. No idea.

:LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Depending on the readout speed of the new sensor the mechanical shutter may be more or less irrelevant.
I agree that a stacked BSI sensor should have a fast readout speed and getting closer to an effective "global shutter".
I would be happy to remove the mechanical shutter for less moving parts, cost reduction and eshutter flash sync speed.
That said, rolling shutter and indoor lighting banding are still issues to be resolved and I don't think that R3 buyers would be the first ones to test it.
Having a variable speed for the eshutter would also be essential to remove the mechanical shutter but not confirmed yet in the marketing document. I think that a fixed 30fps for eshutter will be universally panned. I can't see the reason for the R5 to have 20fps fixed just to have silent shutter.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I agree that a stacked BSI sensor should have a fast readout speed and getting closer to an effective "global shutter".
I would be happy to remove the mechanical shutter for less moving parts, cost reduction and eshutter flash sync speed.
That said, rolling shutter and indoor lighting banding are still issues to be resolved and I don't think that R3 buyers would be the first ones to test it.
Having a variable speed for the eshutter would also be essential to remove the mechanical shutter but not confirmed yet in the marketing document. I think that a fixed 30fps for eshutter will be universally panned. I can't see the reason for the R5 to have 20fps fixed just to have silent shutter.
If the readout speed is as fast, or faster, than the flash sync speed of the mechanical shutter then there's really no advantage to the mechanical shutter in regard to indoor lighting or rolling shutter effect. I'm really interested to see what the readout speed is on this body; for indoor sports some of the newer high frequency LED systems being installed will cause banding even with mechanical shutters. The only real way around that is a global shutter but until I'll take whatever camera has the fastest readout speed.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
This ^ I fully expect the R1 to have the resolution of the R5 (at least) with the speed and all the perks of the R3. More of an OP A1.
yes likely so....but the highest price of all of the other flagships (Nikon, Sony)...this is disappointing. I did think Canon was going to really get aggressive with their cameras and pricing.

Upvote 0
yes likely so....but the highest price of all of the other flagships (Nikon, Sony)...this is disappointing. I did think Canon was going to really get aggressive with their cameras and pricing.
I think Canon will be aggressive with the cameras and lenses but they are not going to be a discount manufacturer.

Upvote 0