Here is the official Canon USA press release for the Canon EOS R3

Dec 13, 2010
Sadly no resolution trick, no surprise features, no pixel shift, no GPS, no higher MP viewfinder, etc.
But... improved AF for animals will make my happy, assuming it is a significant/noticeable improvement. Also, looking forward to really clean files in low light! And best mirrorless ergonomics! And amazing speed! And improved battery life! Woo hoo!

Did everyone else already know that the hotshoe would not be backwards-compatible? You will need an adapter to use your existing hotshoe accessories, but that adapter will not be released until four months after the R3?

AD-E1
For a seamless transition from your current hot shoe accessories to the multi-function shoe, the
Multi-Function Shoe Adapter AD-E1 is the answer. The Multi-Function Shoe Adapter AD-E1 provides a
reliable connection for dust and drip proof Speedlite accessories that you may already own such as the
Speedlite EL-1, Speedlite 600EX II-RT, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Speedlite 580EX II, ST-E3-RT or OC-E3 flash

cord. The shoe adapter will also hold current accessories such as shotgun mics and on-camera LED panels
securely to the camera body with dual locking pins on the multi-function shoe side.
Came here to join the discussion around this too. That adapter should 100% be included in the box. I didn’t know it wasn’t backwards compatible and by the looks of it the adapter is quite thick, so the flash seem to not sit as protected and balanced as it does on every other Canon…

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
That hotshoe adapter seems stupid, better to just upgrade everything to the new mount (which of course is something they would want) or just keep using an R5.

They are controlling the 3rd party RF lenses quite well for now, I wonder if this change can do the same with flashes as well or in a few months Godox will catch up with compatible devices.

Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
I thought all of the language was pretty low key, not really throwing around the marketing buzz words we were accustomed to seeing with the R5: "revolutionary" and "game changer". On the one hand we have a pretty dry press release from Canon USA, and on the other we have Canon Europe claiming this is the most exciting announcement of the year.

The article says: "Leveraging technology and performance feedback from the popular EOS R5 and EOS R6 cameras, the EOS R3 uses Deep-Learning technology to further enhance eye and body detection for even better performance during portrait and action-type shooting."

There is a big spectrum of what "Further enhance" and "even better" could mean, from incremental and small to substantially better. Hopefully initial reviews will help us determine the extent of the improvements tomorrow.
I can't wait to get Jeff Cable's review of his experience with shooting the Olympics with the R3. He used his R5 as well and took his 1DX III as a back-up for the two but planned to shoot the entire games with the two Canon mirrorless cameras. He's currently leading several back to back tours in Africa but should be back in another week or two. I think he has a good feel for the 3 cameras and a lot of solid time under his belt using the R3 so I would tend to pay more attention to his review than to someone who has only had the opportunity to spend a couple of days with the camera. I know Jeff wanted it well before the Olympics so he could have it programmed and be feeling completely familiar with it before using it there. I suspect he'll do a Zoom chat about it when he gets back. Check out his blog for updates on when that might be.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I honestly think that the actual day-to-day use of the EOS-R3 is going to absolutely blow everyone's expectations out of the water. A camera is far, far more than just specs. This camera may not get much hype off of specs alone in the general community, but I fully anticipate that actually using the camera is going to be an absolute breeze, and that has me very excited.

The price alone makes me feel like Canon must be absolutely exceeding confident in the performance of this camera. There's far more to a camera than specs on a sheet of paper, and I anticipate that Canon built this camera to be a reliable, durable, high-speed powerhouse.
Yep, but try telling a Sony Fanboy that :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Interesting. It says 24.1 MP and also 6k raw. That would suggest that it doesn't do DCI as that would need 25.16 MP. Very un-Canonlike. The same math holds for 3:2 oversampled 4k, so maybe no DCI anywhere. Sony doesn't go there, so we don't need to either?? Tomorrow will be interesting.
What's DCI ?

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Canon has lost their minds
Yepp, Canon was, is, and will be do_Oo_O:ped. Good that they still fare quite well, given shrinking camera markets. Canon's most important product is society safety and collective mental health anyway, since they provide an important valve for all the hate steam overpressure that tends to build up on digital photography related sites.

That said, I am pretty sure that even 12k 240 fps full RAW video in such a camera wouldn't (1) improve many people's skills as photographers/videographers substantially and (2) wouldn't stop haters from finding something to hate, since it is ... erm ... a Canon product.

Now two serious comments:
(1) Canon still supports dual CF and SD cards, not XQD. Personally, I like that.
(2) dual pixel, no quad pixel AF, as was discussed here. So you better shoot action in landscape, not portrait, with the R3 I guess...

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Just read a quote on Canonnews.com referring to a paper released by Nokishita. Has some interesting info in the article, so you may want to check it out. Of great interest to videographers is the following commentary, taken from Nokishita's info.

"For the first time in the EOS series (excluding the CINEMA EOS SYSTEM), continuous shooting of more than 30 minutes is possible. It can record up to 6 hours. The camera can record up to 6 hours, making it suitable for long continuous shooting such as documentary shooting"

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Other information that was not translated from the Japanese text:
- Rolling shutter 4x faster than 1DX III -> should be around 8 ms instead of 32ms
- High-speed AF speed up to 0.03 sec (R5 0.05 sec)
- For the first time in his EOS series except "CINEMA EOS SYSTEM", continuous shooting for 30 minutes or more is possible. Up to 6 hours can be recorded and supports long-term continuous shooting such as documentary shooting.
- 4.15 million dot LCD
- 1/180 sec sync speed and 15 fps with electronic shutter using compatible flashes
- Supports "robotic camera system CR-S700R". Remote image capture is possible by using "baseplate kit CR-BP200".

Upvote 0
High-speed, high-quality images realized by the newly developed CMOS sensor and the image engine "DIGIC X" -The newly developed full-size back-illuminated stacked CMOS sensor with approximately 24.1 million effective pixels, which is the first to be installed in the EOS series, and images The engine "DIGIC X" achieves both high-speed continuous shooting at a maximum of approximately 30 frames per second and high image quality with AF / AE tracking during electronic shutter shooting.
-The high-speed readout of the new CMOS sensor significantly suppresses image distortion caused by electronic shutters. Rolling shutter distortion is reduced to about 1/4 compared to the electronic shutter of the "EOS-1D X Mark III".
-Blackout-free shooting, which keeps displaying images on the electronic viewfinder (EVF) even during high-speed continuous shooting, enables framing of violently moving subjects without losing sight of them.
-Achieves high-speed continuous shooting of up to approximately 12 frames / second during mechanical shutter / electronic front curtain shooting.
-Achieves high sensitivity of ISO102400, which is commonly used when shooting still images. It is possible to shoot moving objects with reduced noise even in dark scenes such as at night or indoors.
-When using an RF lens, the world's highest 8.0-step image stabilization is achieved by the coordinated control of the optical image stabilization mechanism on the lens side and the image stabilization mechanism inside the body.
-Supports still image / video recording using the "HDR PQ" method. In addition, it is equipped with an "HDR mode" that takes bracket shots at high speed and combines his three photos in the camera. Video expression with rich gradation is possible.
Advanced high-speed, high-precision, wide-range AF that pursues followability and operability
-"Dual pixel CMOS AF II" realizes high-speed, high-precision, wide-range AF with excellent followability. -It is possible to perform AF calculation and tracking calculation at a maximum of 60 fps at the same time when shooting with an electronic shutter. Achieves highly accurate AF even during high-speed continuous shooting at a maximum of approximately 30 frames per second.
-Supports detection of human eyes, face, head, torso, and animal (dog, cat, bird) eyes, face, and whole body. It also supports whole and spot detection of vehicles (cars and motorcycles in motor sports). By strengthening the algorithm "EOS iTR AF X" that utilizes deep learning technology, the detection function has been improved and high subject tracking performance has been achieved.
-For the first time in a Canon digital camera, it is equipped with a line-of-sight input AF when shooting still images. The pointer that moves according to the movement of the eyes looking through the viewfinder can be moved quickly by operating the buttons according to the subject you want to shoot, and the subject can be switched.
-Achieved the low-brightness focusing limit of EV-7.5. AF is possible even in a dark environment where it is difficult to see the subject with the naked eye. -Achieves high-speed AF of up to about 0.03 seconds, which is the fastest in the EOS R series.
Video performance to meet diverse production needs
-The new CMOS sensor's high-speed signal reading and the high-speed processing of the video engine "DIGIC X" realize internal recording of 6K / 60P video RAW data (12bit).
・ Achieves 4K / 120P high frame rate video recording. You can shoot smooth images, and you can get a fine and natural slow motion effect while keeping the sharpness of 4K.
・ High-quality 4K video can be generated from abundant 6K data. His 4K / 60P video is realized by oversampling without cropping, and delicate video expression with reduced moire and noise is possible. -Supports efficient shooting with the excellent focus control performance of "Dual Pixel CMOS AF II" such as wide range measurement brightness range and high-performance subject detection.
-Equipped with Canon's original Log gamma "Canon Log 3". The highlight gradation is less likely to skip than the conventional "Canon Log", and rich gradation expression is possible even in high-contrast scenes.
・ For the first time in his EOS series except "CINEMA EOS SYSTEM", his continuous shooting for 30 minutes or more is possible. It can record up to 6 hours and supports long-term continuous shooting such as documentary shooting.
Pursuit of reliability and operability that supports video production for professionals and high amateur users
-While adopting a high-definition vari-angle LCD monitor, it achieves the same dust-proof and drip-proof performance as the flagship model "EOS-1D X Mark III". While maintaining high reliability, the body with integrated vertical grip and the high-definition vari-angle LCD monitor of approximately 4.15 million dots enable highly flexible shooting.
-A magnesium alloy with high impact resistance and durability and excellent electromagnetic shielding effect is used for the exterior. Both high rigidity and light weight. If only the camera body is used, it is lighter than the "EOS 5Ds". Even when the battery and CFexpress card are included, the mass is about 1,015g, which is about 71% of the "EOS-1D X Mark III".
-Newly equipped with a "multi-accessory shoe" with advanced communication functions. By combining with compatible accessories, it is possible to control an external strobe when shooting still images, digitally input audio when shooting movies, and utilize the network by connecting to a smartphone.
-For the first time as his EOS with a high-speed sensor, all shutter methods (mechanical / electronic front curtain / electronic shutter) support dimming control during continuous shooting. With an electronic shutter, strobe dimming is possible for his 1/180 second, up to about 15 frames per second continuous shooting.
-Equipped with a "silent shutter function" that allows you to make batch settings related to sound. In addition, the LCD monitor can be turned off at all times, enabling quick shooting with consideration for sound and light.
-The power supply uses the "Battery Pack LP-E19" that can be shared with the "EOS-1D X Mark III". -Equipped with dual slots for CFexpress card (Type B) and SD memory card (UHS-II compatible). -Compatible with "Robotic Camera System CR-S700R". By using the "Base Plate Kit CR-BP200", remote shooting of still images is possible.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
To Sony online reps:

If Canon don't call this a flagship, it's because they want to sell the rest of the 1DXmkIII... But honestly there's nothing missing in this camera, for the photographers it targets.
Also, when you compare prices, you should add the price of the vertical grip to the Sony if you want to compare properly. And after you bought the grip, you still have a 2 pcs camera with a grip holding on a screw. If you have ever used cameras intensively in nature or sports, you know what I mean. Not even mentioning the terrible ergonomics.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
7.299,- € is the first price I could find in Germany yet.

We'll have to wait, if this will be confirmed by other stores or not.

5.999,- € price in Germany at several stores.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
Came here to join the discussion around this too. That adapter should 100% be included in the box. I didn’t know it wasn’t backwards compatible and by the looks of it the adapter is quite thick, so the flash seem to not sit as protected and balanced as it does on every other Canon…

How they could break compatibility with a world of Profoto and Elinchrom users and call it pro baffles me. What use is fast silent shooting with flash sync on electronic shutter if you can't use it with flash hardware that can sustain that pace until next year?

Come on Canon, get that flash adapter out with the camera!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
To Sony online reps:

But honestly there's nothing missing in this camera, for the photographers it targets.

Canon explicitly mentions wildlife and nature photographers. Unfortunately one of the key requirements of many such people is pixel density to allow cropping when focal-length-limited. Which 24MP doesn't provide.

So I'd argue that there is something missing.

As a result I'll not be buying into the RF system yet. Maybe I'll check back in 2024 when the R1 appears.

Upvote 0