Here is the official marketing material for the Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM, Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM and accessories

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Below is the official marketing material for the upcoming Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM, Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM and accessories that will be announced tomorrow.
Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM
Compact, versatile, speedy, and affordable, the new RF16mm F2.8 STM lens is a terrific complement to any EOS R series digital camera. Offering an ultra-wide angle of view and a bright f/2.8 aperture, it’s an excellent choice whether taking interior photos in tight spaces, seeking out the perfect landscape or as the perfect webcam lens when used in combination with an EOS camera and EOS Webcam Utility on a video call.
With a 16mm F2.8 lens, you can experiment with enhancing perspectives, capturing starscapes, or with the close focusing distance of 13cm, get up close to your subject while still keeping the background more visible. Video users will find this ultra-wide lens a natural for vlogging, especially with its supremely lightweight.
With its remarkable combination of optical excellence and...

Continue reading...

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
I guess people loved adapting their EF lenses to the new RF mount SO MUCH that now they have the opportunity of adapting their old hot shoe accessories to the new hot shoe mount! (Must be a lucrative business model that keeps people buying new equipment so they don't have to adapt.)

I'm a bit shocked to see that the new multi-function shoe does not appear to be backwards compatible with Canon's existing speedlight transmitter (ST-E3-RT) and top of the line speedlights, such as the Speedlite EL-1?

The adapter AD-E1 won't be available until February of next year (per Nokishita), which kind of leaves people with the R3 a bit stranded from a flash perspective for several months, unless they buy the new ST-E10, which may or may not be possible to get at the same time as the R3 due to high demand and low availability.

Hopefully the silver lining from this is that Canon may develop some new flash units specifically with the multi-function shoe. The downside is that the new flashes would not work with older bodies (same dilemma as buying RF lenses for the R). I would love to see some smaller mid-grade flashes released with rechargeable lithium-ion batteries.

p.s. I hope I have mis-interpreted the lack of backwards compatibility. I've based my comments on the description for the AD-E1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I guess people loved adapting their EF lenses to the new RF mount SO MUCH that now they have the opportunity of adapting their old hot shoe accessories to the new hot shoe mount! (Must be a lucrative business model that keeps people buying new equipment so they don't have to adapt.)

I'm a bit shocked to see that the new multi-function shoe does not appear to be backwards compatible with Canon's existing speedlight transmitter (ST-E3-RT) and top of the line speedlights, such as the Speedlite EL-1?

The adapter AD-E1 won't be available until February of next year (per Nokishita), which kind of leaves people with the R3 a bit stranded from a flash perspective for several months, unless they buy the new ST-E10, which may or may not be possible to get at the same time as the R3 due to high demand and low availability.

Hopefully the silver lining from this is that Canon may develop some new flash units specifically with the multi-function shoe. The downside is that the new flashes would not work with older bodies (same dilemma as buying RF lenses for the R). I would love to see some smaller mid-grade flashes released with rechargeable lithium-ion batteries.

At $39 dollars, it's not a massive purchase, but that is another surprise to find out the new hotshoe isn't compatible.

At that price, I would hazard a guess the adapter is probably a small piece of metal that locks into the multi-function shoe with a hotshoe on top of it, so hopefully that means that it won't be difficult to make and sell lots of.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Same, especially considering how new the EL-1 and ST-E3-RT version 2 are.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
At $39 dollars, it's not a massive purchase, but that is another surprise to find out the new hotshoe isn't compatible.

At that price, I would hazard a guess the adapter is probably a small piece of metal that locks into the multi-function shoe with a hotshoe on top of it, so hopefully that means that it won't be difficult to make and sell lots of.
It's not the price I'm concerned with, but the lack of availability at launch. It not even being released until four months after the R3, and who knows how long it will take to be readily available.

Eventually some markets may choose to include the adapter with the R3, just like EF-RF adapters were included with some R body purchases. I would be a nice gesture that I don't expect to see in the US, but who knows? Special deal for those who pre-order like Canon Canada did for R5 preorders?

It's also disappointing to know that all of the hot shoe accessories we already own will not be natively compatible with the R3. If you forget your little adapter, you can't use your transmitters, speedlites, or microphones that day? It's convenient to have equipment that is natively compatible with all of your bodies, and adds redundancy or reduces risk.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Hopefully the silver lining from this is that Canon may develop some new flash units specifically with the multi-function shoe.
The ST-E10 has no batteries, it draws power from the camera. The press release footnote about the blackout-free EVF states:

Blackout(s) may occur in some cases; such as when the built-in memory is full or when the flash battery is fully recharged after the battery ran out during continuous shooting.

So, perhaps equally powerful but smaller flashes because the smaller batteries that draw power from the body and are constantly being recharged. Or no battery and just a big capacitor to recharge.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
The ST-E10 has no batteries, it draws power from the camera. The press release footnote about the blackout-free EVF states:

Blackout(s) may occur in some cases; such as when the built-in memory is full or when the flash battery is fully recharged after the battery ran out during continuous shooting.

So, perhaps equally powerful but smaller flashes because the smaller batteries that draw power from the body and are constantly being recharged. Or no battery and just a big capacitor to recharge.
Yes, this would be really interesting! Hoping to hear about these potential advantages tomorrow.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Still feels very bizarre that the lenses they're announcing alongside the R3 are both squarely consumer-grade. No fancy new L glass to shiny-up the announcement?
I think the point is for the R3 to drum up the hype and get eyes on it, and then give everyday people who can't afford the R3 something they *can* buy, a $300 or $650 lens, when they click on the news about a $6000 camera.

Off of that topic, I'm shocked I didn't think of the fact that the 16mm F/2.8 was probably part of their recent EOS Webcam push that they've done over the pandemic. It looks to be the *perfect* companion for a cheap RF mount camera to be used as a webcam, it's wide, it's fast, and it's cheap.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
It's very telling that they even mention "minimal color blur" at all in the description of the 100-400. Usually they don't mention any kind of fringing other than to say it's been fully corrected; of course that rarely means wholly corrected and we always have to remember that what claims are made in any manufacturer's marketing text are always exaggerations. That they would acknowledge this lens has "minimal" fringing in their marketing speak means, by real world terms, fringing must be fairly strong. Which itself is not at all unexpected for a cheaper zoom lens which has prioritised size and price over optics, but it is surprising to see them feel their marketing had to pay lip service to it.

"Capturing starscapes" sounds promising. I'll still wait for the reviews. With the RF mount, Canon tends to cut corners sometimes and rely on digital distortion correction.
Given how small it is, distortion is a given, but worse for astro is that it will be extremely, extremely shocking if the 16mm has anything less than 3 stops of vignetting. Bear in mind much larger RF lenses have come out with corners and sides 4 stops darker than the center, and the nearest EF prime, the 20mm f/2.8, has over 4 stops of vignette even despite being a much larger lens and not going as wide. Even regardless of the potential distortion, the kind of strong vignette that Canon has always tolerated on its wide primes, and the increased vignetting they're tolerating on RF lenses, means most of this lens is going to be, what, t/5-5.6 on average across the frame; probably t/8 to the sides, maybe even close to t/11 in the deepest corners?

All-in-all, I still expect these two lenses to be perfectly servicable hobbyist lenses for anyone who wants or needs to prioritise size and cost over quality, but with every release it becomes increasingly clear that the standard for RF is going to be a heavily reliance on software correction for any non-L lens. The end result can still be fine—the Fuji XF line has hinged on opcodes and software for the last decade, and that system is perfectly good for most tasks—just nobody should be expecting corners to not be cut in the process.

Upvote 0
Still feels very bizarre that the lenses they're announcing alongside the R3 are both squarely consumer-grade. No fancy new L glass to shiny-up the announcement?
The audience that actually buys cameras like the R3 already have the lenses they need and/or rent lenses on a per-job basis, anyway. These kinds of high-end, ultra-tough, full-time pro sports and news bodies are not the products which are designed to shift lenses. You'll get the occasional person owning a 24-70 and 70-200, maybe a few news shooters here and there who will buy a fast 50 or 35 as well, then all the sports shooters are just renting the EF 300, and either the EF or RF version of the 400 f/2.8 and, very rarely, the 600 f/4. And as Canon have already said, there's currently no real way to improve on the EF big whites, other than they made the RF adapter a permanent fixture on the 400 and 600 since those two lenses are just heavy enough thats ome of the pros weren't confident attaching them to the regular adapter. So with no lenses to improve (which was always expected since the mirrorless flange distance is totally irrelevant to super-tele design) and with most of this market either already owning or renting lenses, it doesn't matter to Canon if they announce this body next to a pro lens or not.

The bodies that are designed to shift lenses tend to be more like the 5 and 6-series, or in EF the biggest lens-seller was actually the xxD (e.g. 90D) line. It's been the same with Nikon for decades, too. These integrated grip sports & news bodies are sold on their durability, reliability, connectivity and speed; they're not bodies which really show off lenses well and their audience doesn't buy a large number of lenses in any case.

Upvote 0