Here is what Canon is announcing next, including the EOS R7, EOS R10 and RF-S lenses [CR3]

15- 45 is a better range for APS-C than 16-50 or 18-55, especially as a tourist.
Well, there's the tourist market, which is already served pretty good by EF-M, then the pro APS-C market, which is better served with an APS-C holy trinity, something like 10-18, 16-45, and 45-135 in at least constant aperture f/4 if not 2.8.

Before I went full frame, I had 10-18, 18-55, and 55-250 in ef-s. I wished it was all at least constant f/4. The full frame 24-105L (or 24-70L) and 100-400 or 100-500 would be fine for the longer end, and all they really need to do is make a solid f/2.8 (or f/4) 10-24 for APS-C. 16-35 can be made to work, but really, at least 10-18 or 10-24 would be better.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
So looks like they pushed the R7 announcement up again? Was March, then August, now May? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I do hope someone makes an EF-M to RF adapter. It'll need optics, so it can be a speed booster as well. But just a plain optical adapter would be nice as well. Don't want to re-buy my EF-m stuff in RF once/if my M50 stops working. Knew this day was coming. Loved the M. Will miss it.

Brian
It does not work that way. You cannot boost APS-C lenses. There is noting where to get the extra light. Also it would be a tele converter.

Upvote 0

Fletchahh

7D Mark II
CR Pro
Aug 31, 2020
Pasadena, CA
Well, there's the tourist market, which is already served pretty good by EF-M, then the pro APS-C market, which is better served with an APS-C holy trinity, something like 10-18, 16-45, and 45-135 in at least constant aperture f/4 if not 2.8.

Before I went full frame, I had 10-18, 18-55, and 55-250 in ef-s. I wished it was all at least constant f/4. The full frame 24-105L (or 24-70L) and 100-400 or 100-500 would be fine for the longer end, and all they really need to do is make a solid f/2.8 (or f/4) 10-24 for APS-C. 16-35 can be made to work, but really, at least 10-18 or 10-24 would be better.
Not exactly a holy trinity, but if people are willing to look at adapting EF-S lenses, there are still good fast zoom options such as the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 and 50-100 f/1.8, especially with the R7 since neither of them have IS.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
18-45mm is a bit limiting. should be better if they made it 16-50mm or 18-55mm.
My guess is... because the R10 has same form factor as the M10, and the 18-45mm is a perfect size to match the R10 small size.... ???

The 18-45 has to be really tiny or cheap with that focal length/aperture combination. It's 29-70mm, pretty boring.

Even Nikon's cheap 16-50 is better and that lens is very sharp and small at only 135g.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
The 18-45 has to be really tiny or cheap with that focal length/aperture combination. It's 29-70mm, pretty boring.

Even Nikon's cheap 16-50 is better and that lens is very sharp and small at only 135g.
Unless it is a very cheap FF lens as reported for the last year. Then it makes perfect sense. The R line needs a cheap FF UW zoom.

Upvote 0
Not exactly a holy trinity, but if people are willing to look at adapting EF-S lenses, there are still good fast zoom options such as the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 and 50-100 f/1.8, especially with the R7 since neither of them have IS.
True. Sigma does make good glass, but there are other things to take into consideration if you're a working professional, like getting your stuff serviced through CPS, because ...life and accidents do happen, and if you're depending on your gear to make a living, you can either have multiple copies as an insurance policy, or stick with same brand and have coverage through their support network.

Upvote 0
If the R7 specs are actually true, the price tag must be higher than on the R6...
Even the supposed specs of the R10 sound quite a bit unrealistic or it'll too will have a high price tag for an APS-C camera.

I love my R, but since FPS specs of the R are more than outdated, I might be interested in a camera with a high-frame rate as a complement. It will depend on the price tag, FPS and auto-focus abilities. I wouldn't care for the rest.

RF 18-45mm sounds horrible imho, unless it is super compact and lightweight. If not, the loss of 10mm focal range (compared to EF 18-55mm) does seem a like a big loss.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
In a 2015 press release, Canon made a development announcement for a 120MP DSLR, Still waiting. :)
I know about it but the need and demand isn't that great for such a camera. When it does come out or something similar, the youtubian machine will spin, having people fighting and bitching about how every camera now needs 120MP. Sure I would get one. I want a GFX100 but no way in hell am I spending my money on it at that price plus buying their lenses.

Upvote 0
whats the point of an R5s.
the high resolution DSLR were named 5dR and 5ds.

Given that Canon is now copying their DSLR line up in terms of numbers by replacing the 5d with R5 and 6d (R6), it makes most sense of naming a high resolution camera R5s.

There’s no way Canon will release an R2 as high mega Pixel Camera because people would expect a different camera body and feature to differentiate it from the R5. This would cause a lot of R&D costs and given that it will be niche camera, they won’t do that. They’ll take the great ergonomics of the R5, put in a different sensor and name it R5s or R5R(es). The fun thing is: people will love it :)

R2 is a possible name for a camera, no doubt about it. But it won’t be the rumored high res one.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
True. Sigma does make good glass, but there are other things to take into consideration if you're a working professional, like getting your stuff serviced through CPS, because ...life and accidents do happen, and if you're depending on your gear to make a living, you can either have multiple copies as an insurance policy, or stick with same brand and have coverage through their support network.
Does CPS service EF-S lenses? I didn’t know that.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
the high resolution DSLR were named 5dR and 5ds.

Given that Canon is now copying their DSLR line up in terms of numbers by replacing the 5d with R5 and 6d (R6), it makes most sense of naming a high resolution camera R5s.

There’s no way Canon will release an R2 as high mega Pixel Camera because people would expect a different camera body and feature to differentiate it from the R5. This would cause a lot of R&D costs and given that it will be niche camera, they won’t do that. They’ll take the great ergonomics of the R5, put in a different sensor and name it R5s or R5R(es). The fun thing is: people will love it :)

R2 is a possible name for a camera, no doubt about it. But it won’t be the rumored high res one.
The 5DS, 5DSR, and 7D Mark II all had the same pixel density, just on different size sensors.

if Canon does that again, and the R7 really is 32.5 MP, we’re looking at about 83 MP for the R5S.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
So looks like they pushed the R7 announcement up again? Was March, then August, now May? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I do hope someone makes an EF-M to RF adapter. It'll need optics, so it can be a speed booster as well. But just a plain optical adapter would be nice as well. Don't want to re-buy my EF-m stuff in RF once/if my M50 stops working. Knew this day was coming. Loved the M. Will miss it.

Brian
I'm sure you'll feel a lot better when the M50 III is announced. I'd say the odds are about 50/50 that the R10 is a mid level replacement for the 90D and that the M system is still alive and kicking. :)

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I'm sure you'll feel a lot better when the M50 III is announced. I'd say the odds are about 50/50 that the R10 is a mid level replacement for the 90D and that the M system is still alive and kicking. :)
That was my take. The M6 II had to go because it was a little too much of the same, but with the small battery, there was no way to put a Digic-x in an M camera. I don't think either of these will be particularly small cameras and further, I suspect the 18-45 is an entry FF lens that serves dual purpose.

Upvote 0