High megapixel EOS R series camera in testing [CR2]

Sep 3, 2018
But I'm not sure how beneficial squeezing like 100MP into a 35mm digital style sensor would do that much good?

If I'm wrong, please someone explain it to me...I'm always happy to learn new things!!
:)

cayenne
Autofocus performance. :)

Face, eye and animal AF on a high megapixel camera would be amazing if you have a need for such applications and something I very highly doubt MFD will ever match.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I just shutter to think what it would cost to either upgrade my computer or purchase a new one after shelling out the money for the camera. My computer is already a little slow sometimes. I run an Intel i7 processor from 2014 or 2015 (I think) and 16gb Ram with an Nvidia card that came with this Dell. I'd want something pretty snappy for files that big. Storage gets less expensive all the time, so no worry on that front. I'm sure I could use the computer I already have, but I hate waiting for an action or resize to process, or even for a file to open/close. I'm just an occasional shooter anyway, so all the money I throw into this hobby sometimes seems like massive overkill. If I shot more often with lots of different models (with off camera flash) I might get good enough to justify the expense and at least make the money I need for this hobby. It seems the charity I used to shoot for is withering on the vine, so dependable models that show up for TFP shoots are getting hard to come by.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...Now I really hope Canon licences RF protocols to 3rd party lens makers(Sigma)...
I don't believe Canon ever has or ever will license anything to third party lens makers. Sigma, Tamron etc., reverse engineer Canon protocols. Canon cooperates with software makers like Adobe because it is in their best interests and they don't really compete on software. But lenses...nope.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Autofocus performance. :)

Face, eye and animal AF on a high megapixel camera would be amazing if you have a need for such applications and something I very highly doubt MFD will ever match.
Convenience, weight, size, lens compatibility and cost also come to mind.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sounds like overkill for a 35mm to me but I guess I’m not the target audience so it doesn’t matter really matter what I think. More MPs will bring an increase in detail to some degree but the real benefit of larger formats is improved tonality/gradients and more photosites aren’t really going to achieve that to the same degree that a larger image area can/does when you go to medium format. I’m sure the IQ will be excellent so if you don’t need the lightest puffy clouds and butteriest smooth skin tones in your images and you like lots of fine detail this might be the camera you’ve been waiting for.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I don't believe Canon ever has or ever will license anything to third party lens makers. Sigma, Tamron etc., reverse engineer Canon protocols. Canon cooperates with software makers like Adobe because it is in their best interests and they don't really compete on software. But lenses...nope.
I have to imagine some kind of licensing there at least in name, when these third party guys sell glass advertised as "Canon EF Mount". Otherwise I'd assume Canon could just as easily take legal action. Could be wrong. I'm not saying they are licensing out EF/RF specs, but I'm thinking there gotta be something.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I have to imagine some kind of licensing there at least in name, when these third party guys sell glass advertised as "Canon EF Mount". Otherwise I'd assume Canon could just as easily take legal action. Could be wrong. I'm not saying they are licensing out EF/RF specs, but I'm thinking there gotta be something.
Well, there are already 3rd party RF mount lenses, just not with AF that I know of.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I just shutter to think what it would cost to either upgrade my computer or purchase a new one after shelling out the money for the camera. My computer is already a little slow sometimes. I run an Intel i7 processor from 2014 or 2015 (I think) and 16gb Ram with an Nvidia card that came with this Dell. I'd want something pretty snappy for files that big. Storage gets less expensive all the time, so no worry on that front. I'm sure I could use the computer I already have, but I hate waiting for an action or resize to process, or even for a file to open/close. I'm just an occasional shooter anyway, so all the money I throw into this hobby sometimes seems like massive overkill. If I shot more often with lots of different models (with off camera flash) I might get good enough to justify the expense and at least make the money I need for this hobby. It seems the charity I used to shoot for is withering on the vine, so dependable models that show up for TFP shoots are getting hard to come by.
Thanks (?) to your post, I just understood I'll have to shell out about 3000 quid for a new computer, mine having exactly the same characteristics and drawbacks as yours.
Or: tell myself my 5 D III, D IV and R are sufficient for my needs and "skills".
But I'm already drooling on the coming EOS R 5 and S models which I don't need, don't need, don't need etc...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
[...] last year, a distillery requested an 18,000 x 18,000 pixel redwood file for a 10 foot print.
And what lenses are capable of resolving that much detail without distorting too much and giving a panorama-stitched impression, after all, a trees should look straight?

Upvote 0
I think if I go that high for megapixel...I'll just get a medium format camera sensor.

I'm shooting a bit of medium format film now alongside my 5D3 for digital.....and it really is great stuff.

I'll likely get the R5 after it comes out for a bit....read the reviews, see what it does/does not do and maybe even wait for a firmware update.

But for a larger sensor that what will be on the R5, I think I'd save my pennies and go to a larger medium format sensor, like maybe the Fuji offerings.

Or, I"m looking forward to the (hopefully) soon to be released new Hasselblad MF back that will fit in seamlessly with the old V series MF film cameras, but also have a new "camera" body that will integrate with their newer lenses, etc.

Yep, I anticipate it will be $$$$...but I think it would be tons of fun, to use with my 501 CM and older glass.

But I'm not sure how beneficial squeezing like 100MP into a 35mm digital style sensor would do that much good?

If I'm wrong, please someone explain it to me...I'm always happy to learn new things!!
:)

cayenne
Used Hasselblad X1D's (first version) go for under $3K, and with the new 45mm at $1100, you could be up and running for under $4k. For sure, it's not the camera for everyone, but if it hits your sweet spot, that's a good price for a good MF camera and lens.

Upvote 0