High megapixel EOS R series camera in testing [CR2]

Optics and wallet yes. But no more demanding shooting 100 MPIX than 10 MPIX. Camera shake is the same regardless of MPIX sizes. If anything you will often have less of it - never more.
A 10MP file with decent technique will still fall apart at large magnification. A high res file will show the lack of sharpness masked by the inability of the lower res file to render.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
A 10MP file with decent technique will still fall apart at large magnification. A high res file will show the lack of sharpness masked by the inability of the lower res file to render.
Not sure what you are trying to say. Camera shake will show up in the exact same amount on the same print from a 10 MPIX and 100 MPIX camera. No visual difference at all. Except that high MPIX cameras mostly have better shutters - and thus may show a little less blur than "standard" resolution cameras.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Global vision lenses do show up as their own Sigma models in profiles( and not as some spoofed Canon lens on Dslrs listed in that article.
Here is a screenshot from Dustin's review of Sigma lens.

Profile-Corrections.JPG

So how do I load the lens profile into my 5D Mark IV? It's not an option when I load lens profiles via EOS Utility, which is the only way to load lens profiles of many Canon lenses.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
except 100Mp mirrorless won't suffer from a camera shake as much as 100Mp DSLR would. A mirror shock was a big issue with high MP DSLR. Lack of flapping mirror in mirrorless augmented by a 2-stop IBIS will certainly take care of camera shake in many situations.
Agree that its even less of a concern with mirrorless - but you get the same advantage also with a low MPIX mirrorless.

Upvote 0
Not sure what you are trying to say. Camera shake will show up in the exact same amount on the same print from a 10 MPIX and 100 MPIX camera. No visual difference at all. Except that high MPIX cameras mostly have better shutters - and thus may show a little less blur than "standard" resolution cameras.
Camera shake will show up at the same rate. However 10MP will be unable to resolve it like 100MP. Thus the 100MP will be annoying upon examining small detail while the 10MP will have the familiar softness of a lower res image and obscure slight motion.

"Better shutters"?
Nope. On LS shutters the vibration is far less than FP shutters. DSLRs suffer from mirror slap and shutter shock. Mirrorless cameras using EFCS minimize shock. But in the end, all things being equal, high MP sensors are less forgiving than low MP ones.
I have seen this in my own cameras (up to 50MP) and this is also confirmed by many others in the field.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Have you tried to buy some today??!!
I've not seen toilet paper in a store in 3 or more weeks. Irony: I used to work for SCA Tissue in Cherokee, Alabama back in 2004-2006. We used to get to take home TP for free all the time. That would be a dream job today. ;)

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
C. But in the end, all things being equal, high MP sensors are less forgiving than low MP ones.
I have seen this in my own cameras (up to 50MP) and this is also confirmed by many others in the field.

1) No. You have not seen that. 2) No. It is not confirmed by anyone - because its not true.

But yes, it is a widespread internet myth about large MPIX cameras.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I've not seen toilet paper in a store in 3 or more weeks. Irony: I used to work for SCA Tissue in Cherokee, Alabama back in 2004-2006. We used to get to take home TP for free all the time. That would be a dream job today. ;)

Did you know a guy named Roger Brannon that worked there?

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Don't worry, even if they take your advice, you'll still have something to gripe about.
No.... I just want a camera for photography not videography. The first word out of the guy's mouth was about video. They already screwed up the MKIII vith their video frame rate needs. About time they made one for STILL PHOTOGRAPHERS. I won't complain if they do that. Just don't give me 20MP still camera in 2020.

Upvote 0
Y’all should just buy a real nice 3D scanner and 3D printer and call it a day.

Why would I do that? I have access to over 100 electron-beam 3D metal deposition printers and 3D polymer printers and multiple 3D-XYZ laser scanners in the main Vancouver or Burnaby warehouses!

ALL of them we designed and built ourselves to ensure we are ITAR-free (i.e. NO US sourced components or systems). I got access to better gear and software than LMCO or DARPA does! We build SPACEPLANES and SUPERCOMPUTERS --- Of course we have some of the best 3D printing/scanning systems on Earth!

The question is ..... WHAT CAN'T WE BUILD and design here?

Upvote 0
You’re not talking about the vast majority of work out there, which is, at most, a double page spread at 150lpi, that reauires 266 dpi in the image file. That’s even an extreme for most work. We did a picture of Bombay Sapphire that went on the side of a skyscraper (Special printing, and numerous prints). That was over a dozen stories high. The original image was just 8mp.

I am assuming you're talking about the GIN (i.e. a nice tasty drink that goes VERY well with tonic and some slices of lime or kiwi!) ... The Microsoft sign I was talking about earlier from 2003 was 400 dpi or about 200 ppi but from the distance it looked GREAT! I vaguely remember it was an ad for Windows Server 2003. In this case it was a BMP file (cuz MS invented the BMP format!) so they made it 32,000 by 32000 pixels to showcase the strength of Microsoft software in publishing and multimedia!

I should note it was an RGB file and NOT a CMYK because BMP does NOT support CMYK. THey probably turned SPOT colours into RGB colour and let the printers reconvert back to CMYK. Anyways, the gist of my earlier comments is that PPI and DPI at high enough numbers WILL LOOK MUCH BETTER than low dpi/ppi.

And since MANY fashion/product photographers work TEND to end up on 72 by 48 inch poster boards or in 2400 dpi glossy magazines or books, they NOW NEED 50 megapixel to 100+ megapixel cameras. AND for Canon, that's a 2 to 3 billion dollar worldwide market right there in the first 2 to 3 years of introduction!

They ALREADY have very large sensors in the 250 megapixel range and their LARGEST sensor is a 440 megapixel monster used for satellite and astronomical imaging systems. Doing a 70 mm 100+ megapixel Super-Medium Format is CHILD's play for Canon's engineers! They just have to SCALE UP the body of the 1Dx Mk3 by 1.5x on all dimensions and put in Global Shutter at 20 fps and they will HAVE A MEGAPIXEL MONSTER winner of a camera! I'm pretty sure they would 10,000+ of the $20,000 US bodies in less than two years and another 2 billion+ in lenses by the 3rd year! After that they could trickle down the technology to an FF 150-to-200 megapixel monster 5D-like RF-mount at $5500 and it will make a fortune for them! All the wedding and studio portrait photographers would snap it up within minutes of pre-orders coming online!

Upvote 0