High shutter count on brand new 60D!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a brand new Canon 60D online from reputable source. It deliverd days ago in a brand new box with everything factory sealed.

After i take the first shot i plugged the camera to my PC and i found the name was IMG_4382 !!
The memory card was used only on Canon T3i to take about 650 shot THEN i did format it using quck format in Windows 7 before using it in my new 60D.

Is this mean it was used before to take +4000 shot?

Mar 25, 2011
As long as you use the same card in two or more cameras, it will keep updating the image number to the highest one in the cameras you have used the card in. The only way to avoid this is to dedicate a card to a specific camera. Then, of course, you may end up with duplicate image numbers. Don't worry about the image number, it does not mean anything. On the 1D series, you can customize image numbering and work around this.

Upvote 0
I sent an email to canon and they replied:

Dear iTasneem:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support regarding the file
numbers on your new EOS 60D. We value you as a Canon customer and
appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

If the card was used in the camera at all before it was formatted, and
it had been used in a previous Canon camera before this, there is a
chance that the camera simply picked up the file number from the card
itself. However, if this was a new card, or if it was formatted before
it ever touched the camera, then you may have a good reason to suspect
that the camera has been out of the box at least once before for a test
shot or some other use. If this is the case, you may want to contact
the dealer for further clarification. I sincerely apologize for any
inconvenience this may cause.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your EOS
60D.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
Chewy734 said:
You might be able to check out the shutter count using this program:

http://astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx (windows)
http://astrojargon.net/40DShutterCount.aspx (mac)

and on linux it's the easiest, with gphoto2 (which you need to download pics from camera anyway)
> gphoto2 --get-config shuttercounter
(maybe this has been ported to mac? could happen, it's all unix these days)
Not sure why canon don't put that kind of information retrieval in the EOS utility for Win though...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
TexPhoto said:
Always format the card in the Camera. The two formats are not exactly the same, and the camera has to work with the card all day long. Think of it this way, who do you want organizing your mechanic's toolbox, the mechanic, or your accountant?

What is the difference between formatting Fat 32 in one camera versus another? I've swapped cards among most Canon DSLRs for many years with no problems.

As soon as you put a card in the camera and turn it on to reformat the card, the camera has already picked up the higher image number. You must do a long format on the card externally when moving a card from camera to camera if you do not want to pickup the highest image number from the other camera.

Then format it in camera again.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
TexPhoto said:
Always format the card in the Camera. The two formats are not exactly the same, and the camera has to work with the card all day long. Think of it this way, who do you want organizing your mechanic's toolbox, the mechanic, or your accountant?

What is the difference between formatting Fat 32 in one camera versus another? I've swapped cards among most Canon DSLRs for many years with no problems.

As soon as you put a card in the camera and turn it on to reformat the card, the camera has already picked up the higher image number. You must do a long format on the card externally when moving a card from camera to camera if you do not want to pickup the highest image number from the other camera.

Then format it in camera again.

What two cameras? The OP said he formatted in Windows 7. I assume that is on a computer. I said format the card in the camera. It's better for the stability of the card.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
dr croubie said:
and on linux it's the easiest, with gphoto2 (which you need to download pics from camera anyway)
> gphoto2 --get-config shuttercounter
(maybe this has been ported to mac? could happen, it's all unix these days)

Yes, it can be run in Mac OS X using MacPorts and the Terminal.

iTasneem said:
gphoto2 cant get shutter count for 60D.

According to the documentation, the 60D is supported. Is the camera being recognized by gphoto2?

Upvote 0
iTasneem said:
60D FW: 1.0.9
The current 60D firmware is 1.1.0, look here:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_60d#DriversAndSoftware
TexPhoto said:
I said format the card in the camera. It's better for the stability of the card.
I'm not big on "magic incantations" and this is really all this is IMO - when moving current media formats amongst current devices when all are natively compatible. Perhaps it's not a significant waste of time or increment of the write cycles on the card (ha) but why bother? All the camera needs is to have the directory structure of its liking, and it sets that up automatically (again this is part of the standard all the camera manufacturers adhere to; even the manufacturer-specific directory names are governed in this manner). The underlying file structure has been standardized for years now, and especially if going from Windows 7 - brand new really - to a new camera there will be no problem. I wouldn't even bother if you were going from an old camera to a new one (if it's so old that there is a compatibility...it's probably not even the same type of memory card). Things that are going to cause problems with stability are trying to use cheap cards and wrenching them out of the computer without first Ejecting them, letting the computer know it's time to stop writing and reading information (but this was only a matter with somewhat older OSes like XP...maybe for Vista and Windows 7 this is my own version of a Magic Incantation that I don't need to bother with; XP did have the Last File Access Update tic which has been sensibly removed in newer OSes from Microsoft, and Apples/Linux may never have had this issue for all I know). Just something to think about anyway.

Upvote 0
This hasn't been my experience with the S95 and 60D.

When swapping cards between the two, the 60D started a different folder and preserved it's numbering.

I thought it was a bit annoying, so I haven't done it since then. Like others say, I format my cards in-camera (low level) usually once per big download session. My experience has been that formatting helps with write speed . . . but that's anecdotal, not scientific.

Upvote 0
dstppy said:
My experience has been that formatting helps with write speed . . . but that's anecdotal, not scientific.
Indeed. Looking around far and wide I ran across this:

[quote author=johnboatcat]When I formatted the 16 G original Class 2 with all three programs (Windows, SD Format and WinMo), H2testw v1.4 came up with the same basic read and write speeds for all three at 512/64. The only difference that I see is the WinMo
only makes one copy of the FAT and the others make two. Single FAT is supposed to be faster in the real world according to the tech literature because it only has to write the FAT once. This fact only really shows up when the disk becomes fragmented according to the Xperts.[/quote]
and
[quote author=johnboatcat]What we learned: (By this very limited test.)
1. Card Class on the label does not have much to do with true read/write speeds. So you can't buy a card by it's cover and expect price/performance.
2. Card size and Class have little, if any, effect on Quadrant scores.
3. The format program and parameters you use, at least by these results alone, are not going to make a great deal of difference. Some programs/parameters might have a slight advantage. Fragmentation and usage may make some format/parameter methods behave differently in the long run. This was not tested here.

Conclusion: So go, my children and format your cards haphazardly. It probably is not going to make a lot of difference.[/quote]
I don't know if Canon devices format differently than Windows - this business about a single copy of the FAT vs. two is somewhat interesting though, but really only in an academic sense. At the end of the day I am still either putting the SD card in a computer slot or connecting the camera with a USB cable back to Windows, so transfer gains ought to be minimal. Haven't noticed lower-than-spec continuous shooting speeds which is where the speed really counts (for some users, not others).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.