Holy inflation, Batman!

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Yeah, I was surprised this didn't make CR front page news, at least not yet.

Here is the new price list copied from CPW:
For anyone who said the 14-35mm lens was not worth it because the 15-35mm lens was only $600 more, will you be re-thinking the 14-35mm now that it's a $700 gap?

Price hikes are a far cry from the rumored September lens rebates.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Yeah, I was surprised this didn't make CR front page news, at least not yet.

Here is the new price list copied from CPW:
For anyone who said the 14-35mm lens was not worth it because the 15-35mm lens was only $600 more, will you be re-thinking the 14-35mm now that it's a $700 gap?

Price hikes are a far cry from the rumored September lens rebates.
Maybe they are still doing the rebate for $50. Then you feel like you saved $50, but Canon really made $50

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Thanks for sharing, YuengLinger

Seems like they can still milk the market with that "oldtimer" 5D4.
Especially thinking about all R&D costs and other investments surely have been written off since its release 5 years ago.
(if not, I'd be really surprised :unsure: )
Instead of rising the price they could lower it IMO ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Thanks for sharing, YuengLinger

Seems like they can still milk the market with that "oldtimer" 5D4.
Especially thinking about all R&D costs and other investments surely have been written off since its release 5 years ago.
(if not, I'd be really surprised :unsure: )
Instead of rising the price they could lower it IMO ;)
I suspect that Canon is probably using this price increase on the 5D4 to encourage anyone considering purchasing that body to get an R6 (or R5) instead.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I think your understanding of economics is flawed. This is supply and demand, couple with higher costs that can be attributed to the worldwide pandemic. Every aspect of the supply chain is now more costly but not because of central bank policies.
I'm certainly not excluding supply and demand or pandemic factors. But monetary policy is an important inflationary factor too, and here in the USA it has been extraordinarily loose much of the time since the Great Recession of 2008. Please look at this graph from the US Federal Reserve Bank to visualize the increase in the amount of currency circulating in the US economy:

If you are simply suggesting that special circumstances associated with the pandemic were Canon's main reason for this unusual price hike, I can't argue, as I don't know. We may have a disagreement about how much current inflation is due to monetary policy, but so do many actual economists.

Personally, I don't believe we are going to see the higher retail prices go back down, though eventually the rebates will return.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0