How do you print your photos for those who still do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upvote 0

Bruce Photography

Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Bragg, CA
I print on my Canon IPF5000 and the IPF6350. I enjoy selecting different papers and seeing the print in a few minutes. Even though I have color corrected my monitor (dell 30" ultrasharp), I can still see things in the print that I missed on the monitor. My "normal" print size is 2' x 3' because I shoot landscapes with my D800E. I will display my work in galleries for sale and commercial venues. And yes, the printers are sometimes a problem if they are not used weekly. The do turn themselves on and off to help with this problem but I try to give them something to do. Roll paper is so cheap compared to sheet paper than I am not bothered with paper cost. Ink is a different matter. My 6350 is very, very good at a minimal amount of ink and with the hard drive I can keep my print log so I can see exactly how much ink (and what colors) are on each print.

The main reason I like to print is to get immediate feedback from my CS6 tool and plug-ins. Somehow holding the print in your hands is a great feeling. I also like to compare several large prints side by side for a comparison of techniques. At a photo club I attend, all the other attendees put their JPG images on a thumbdrive and then we look at the photos on a low-res projector (1440x800). To me they all look pretty soft when projected on a 6 foot screen. I still remember razor sharp images from transparencies on the same size screen.

Yes printing is expensive but I enjoy my process and I'm pleased with the results but I know this is not for everyone.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
cayenne said:
3. Bayphoto (I'll have to look that up, first I've heard of them)
4. Smugmug (new to me too).

How is it you have not heard of these? Bayphoto's ads are literally all throughout every USA photo magazine...and smugmug has had a web presence for quite a few years.

Pick up a photography magazine every now and then, at least!

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
CarlTN said:
cayenne said:

How is it you have not heard of these? Bayphoto's ads are literally all throughout every USA photo magazine...and smugmug has had a web presence for quite a few years.
T

who kicked your dog?

Upvote 0

Bruce Photography

Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Bragg, CA
RGF said:
I have an Epson 4880 (got a really good price several years ago, after selling my old 13" Epson to a friend and giving him a good price) the 4880 only cost around $800!

I love printing my own work - picking the paper, getting vision to come alive. I believe Ansel Adams said something to the effect "the negative is the score, the print is the symphony".

I started out with Cibachrome in grad school (many years ago) and was about to get a wet darkroom when I got married and bought a house. However I did not like the idea of chemicals and when digital printing came along, ... the rest is history.

In the end, the capture is only the start of the image making process - the print completes it.

I certainly would agree. I would also add that the final end of the print creation process is actually the matting (color and texture of mat, how many mats, etc), the framing (choosing color of frame, material, size, texture, etc), and then the display lighting used to show off the best attributes of the art. Then the total piece of art is done. Some would argue that the end result is when someone takes it home to add to their home decor and then tell stories to their friends of when and where they acquired it. Art actually keeps on giving to those that appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Making my living selling a no shooting fee portrait, to budget minded Colorado visitors (no aspen). I give guest the choice of a minimum order of either a $20. 5x7 or a copyright included file on a CD for $25. I find that Canon printers perform better than Epson printers. Less head cleaning, less ink cost, fewer redos. My favorite is the PIXMA iX6520, I also use PIXMA iP4920’s. No gallery prints here, just good prints at a reasonable cost.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
CarlTN said:
cayenne said:

I'm a total noob. I've not really looked at any photog magazines, I get most of my info from the web on sites and forums like this....hence my questions.

I'm working to learn shooting, and PP...I've not printed any images (except one LARGE 36x48 from a special at a printing site I got a discount from on a CreativeLive seminar).....

So, I was asking here about other sites.

LOL...one reason I'd not gone for many photography magazines, is that I'd read that most of them these days are mostly ADs, and run short on actual helpful articles.

Anyway, I'd appreciate answers to my older original question about the different places I'd asked about from earlier mentions in the thread.

cayenne said:
Ok, from this thread, I've gathered that the top places to get prints are (in no particular order):

1. Adorama
2. Costco

Are these the top places you send your stuff? Would you add another to the list?

Where out of these are the best to send for just regular prints you'd give grandma?
Where are the best (for price and product) to get something for wall hanging (print, canvas, acrylic) if going bit up to maybe 36x48" ?

cayenne

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.