How frequently does your R5 freeze/lock up?

How frequently does your R5 freeze/lock up?

• Total voters

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
ha ha that's true!
Actually had to read first sentence twice, first time i read it as...
"No, crashes with no logs are much better."
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Punctuation is all important. There is a book "Eats, shoots and leaves", which means something quite different from "Eats shoots and leaves".

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Punctuation is all important. There is a book "Eats, shoots and leaves", which means something quite different from "Eats shoots and leaves".

There was a story I read once back in dead tree days (and I can't confirm it) that some Manhattan socialite whose last name was, so help me, "Screws," but whose first name I can't remember (so I'll just use "Elaine") got engaged, and the headline read "Elaine Screws, Becomes Affianced." Someone got in a lot of trouble for that comma.

• Haha
Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Another update: I've taken the R5 out the last 2 days to photograph the starling murmurations that have been occurring in our area recently in the evening. The first night I probably shot 1500+ pics using low speed mech shutter and no crashes. Yesterday I shot about the same or less and was using high speed mech shutter and had 2 freezes. I must state further that I extensively customize the R5 and basically custom set every button and dial for my convenience. I have the camera set for 2 back button focus buttons, one for animal face detection and one for zone focusing. I am now wondering if this extensive customization is causing a software crash in certain shooting situations. Ugh!
Catherine

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Another update: I've taken the R5 out the last 2 days to photograph the starling murmurations that have been occurring in our area recently in the evening. The first night I probably shot 1500+ pics using low speed mech shutter and no crashes. Yesterday I shot about the same or less and was using high speed mech shutter and had 2 freezes. I must state further that I extensively customize the R5 and basically custom set every button and dial for my convenience. I have the camera set for 2 back button focus buttons, one for animal face detection and one for zone focusing. I am now wondering if this extensive customization is causing a software crash in certain shooting situations. Ugh!
Catherine
You could try uncustomising the buttons one at a time and shooting 2000 shots each time, which by the time you have done 100,000-200,000 shots you should know. Or, as a more practical solution, uncustomise all for 2000 shots, then if that doesn't cure the situation, it's the camera. If it does cure, recustomise half to see if returns . If it still works you know it is in the other half etc. I have done relatively little customisation, just two buttons BBF for animal eyeAF and centre point AF as I like keeping things as simple as possible.

Upvote 0

digigal

CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
You could try uncustomising the buttons one at a time and shooting 2000 shots each time, which by the time you have done 100,000-200,000 shots you should know. Or, as a more practical solution, uncustomise all for 2000 shots, then if that doesn't cure the situation, it's the camera. If it does cure, recustomise half to see if returns . If it still works you know it is in the other half etc. I have done relatively little customisation, just two buttons BBF for animal eyeAF and centre point AF as I like keeping things as simple as possible.
Well, I'm moving in that direction--I've uncustomized all the dials except for two which I switched. I've uncustomized the buttons and set up a single back button focus and customized one other button to change the drive mode otherwise the buttons are unchanged. We'll see if this changes any of the crashes. But I was never changing any of my focus settings when the camera froze--it was always while I was actively shooting.
Catherine

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Catherine
I have a similar setup (spot focus instead of zone) and had read it may be related. I did not had a crash on two shoots since, and the only change is that I am shooting from a window mounted gimbal instead of a bean bag. I suspect it was a intermittent disconnect between the lens and camera, as I did see an error 01 once (and a crash shortly after). I suspect I would see this problem handheld if I had the strength to still do that. I use ProGrade Coblat CF cards. I wonder if their is a FW update for my 16 year old lens...

Upvote 0
Catherine

Sorry to hear that. Given that they have replaced the motherboard of the camera we would have to assume this is some sort of software error right? Really hoping the next firmware release fixes this freezing.

In other news, I just had my second lockup today. This time using the RF 35mm f1.8 and Sandisk 512gb CF Express card. The first time this happened the screen just went black. This time I got an 'Error 70' message telling me to remove the battery. Has anyone else had the Error 70? Is it a seperate issue to the freezing do you think? or one and the same?

Upvote 0

digigal

CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
I never get a warning message associated with my lockups--the screen just freezes and the camera is inoperable and no button or dial functions until I remove and reinsert the battery.
Catherine

In other news, I just had my second lockup today. This time using the RF 35mm f1.8 and Sandisk 512gb CF Express card. The first time this happened the screen just went black. This time I got an 'Error 70' message telling me to remove the battery. Has anyone else had the Error 70? Is it a seperate issue to the freezing do you think? or one and the same?

Upvote 0
I never get a warning message associated with my lockups--the screen just freezes and the camera is inoperable and no button or dial functions until I remove and reinsert the battery.
Catherine

Thanks for letting me know. The Error 70 I got happened directly after I formatted the memory card in the camera and tried to take a couple of photos. I reformatted the card for a second time and it hasn't happened again. But I will keep an eye on the behaviour, because I wouldn't be surprised if it was related to the freezes.

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
This time I got an 'Error 70' message telling me to remove the battery. Has anyone else had the Error 70? Is it a seperate issue to the freezing do you think? or one and the same?

Haven't had this error on my R5, but did on a previous camera (IIRC it was the original 7D, maybe the Mk II though). It was a communication error relating to the CF card. only happened once. It's also a well documented communication error with certain 70D's.

Upvote 0
I had this happen twice yesterday for the first time. I had only been out from about 10 minutes and then it locked up - I got the camera in November and only taken 3000 shots so far. I was using the R5 in animal eye-detection and a Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II on both instances when it froze (only about a few minutes apart) - Both times I got a still image of whatever I was looking at, no error code or information. I powered off and there was a clucking sound which I guess is the IBIS resetting? Turned it back on and it seemed to be working ok both times. It wasn't overheated as I hadn't been out long and was only talking stills.

R5 - Firmware Version 1.2.0
EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II - Firmware Version 1.0.7

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Sorry to hear that. Given that they have replaced the motherboard of the camera we would have to assume this is some sort of software error right? Really hoping the next firmware release fixes this freezing.

I have had the error 70 msg after trying to use the canon connect app.

Upvote 0
FYI, My update from Canon...

"Many thanks for your response.

If you are using an LPE6NH battery (as opposed to an LPE6N or an LPE6), you will need to log a job at (Link) and send the unit in to our Camera Service team for testing and possible repair.

There's a possibility that the main circuit board is faulty. However, the unit will need to be booked-in for assessment by our service technicians. They need to physically inspect and test the camera.

Please ensure the camera is securely packaged to avoid any damage that could occur during transit. In the box with your camera please include a printed copy of your proof of purchase / sales receipt, the Canon Warranty Card and the Canon Camera Repair form, found here:"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
FYI, My update from Canon...

"Many thanks for your response.

If you are using an LPE6NH battery (as opposed to an LPE6N or an LPE6), you will need to log a job at (Link) and send the unit in to our Camera Service team for testing and possible repair.

There's a possibility that the main circuit board is faulty. However, the unit will need to be booked-in for assessment by our service technicians. They need to physically inspect and test the camera.

Please ensure the camera is securely packaged to avoid any damage that could occur during transit. In the box with your camera please include a printed copy of your proof of purchase / sales receipt, the Canon Warranty Card and the Canon Camera Repair form, found here:"

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a very generic reply. I wonder if Canon is now more aware of the problem? Unfortunately it seems that replacing the circuit board doesn’t always fix the issue.

How often is your camera freezing?

Upvote 0