How many of us are making money out of photography ?

What is your total income percentage that you make out of photography?

• I don't make money out of photography

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Less than 25%

Votes: 37 27.6%
  • Between 25-50%

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • More than 50%

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • All my income came out of photography

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paul13walnut5

I'm a cameraman and video editor. I have a full time job with Europes biggest newspaper & publishing company, doing UK National tv adverts (mainly after-effect based, with some shooting) internal corporate video, TV award videos, web video and external client work, and I freelance out of hours when a job I like comes along.

I shoot on different cameras for different jobs, but often shoot on DSLRs. I've made about £1k from stills photography without trying at all, but I earn my living using (in large part) my DSLRs.

So not making money out of photography per se, but making a living with my EOS gear.

Upvote 0
dr croubie said:
I had to get a better job to support my lens habit.

$15,000 in the hole and counting ... yet to make a sale ... (yet to try making a sale, check back next year)

I feel much better. I'm "only" $9k into it and don't make a whole lot of of photography to justify spending that much. I work with musicians who sometimes want a decent looking youtube video or some pictures taken. I shoot weddings (photo and video) as a 2nd shooter so I don't make as much there either. oh gear....

Upvote 0
Currently 21 years old and barely started to try to throw my name out there by any means. Spent over 10k on equiptment thus far (student loans). Shot a couple TV actors, one wedding, and a few musicians which has brought me SOME money. Living off student loans at the moment, so any money earned off shooting is like a luxury.

Yes, I go to photo school too. If I mess up really bad, I'm screwed :eek: ! But still giving 110%; handing out flyers tomorrow and have some Model Mayhem models lined up to get some decent portfolio work. After portfolio is solid, internship hunting! :)

In other words.... Ten-ish years to go! :p

Any pros out there, Advice would be wonderful, but the good kind.. No, "just give up and study accounting", because I'm not the quitting type ;)

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
dirtcastle said:
I make my living as a visual designer and Photoshop pro. I often work with photographs, although rarely my own.

I think it would be fantastic to be a pro photographer. But it seems like most of the money is in weddings, events, sports, and glamour shots, which might be great for people who enjoy that sort of thing. But I think I'd probably rather do the post processing for a wedding than actually shoot the damn thing.

And I'd rather just keep shooting, hell, most of my photos i've taken i've just done a batch-raw process and not even looked at. For me, PP is the annoying bit. We'd make a good team...

Upvote 0
C

Cannon Man

jVillaPhoto said:
Currently 21 years old and barely started to try to throw my name out there by any means. Spent over 10k on equiptment thus far (student loans). Shot a couple TV actors, one wedding, and a few musicians which has brought me SOME money. Living off student loans at the moment, so any money earned off shooting is like a luxury.

Yes, I go to photo school too. If I mess up really bad, I'm screwed :eek: ! But still giving 110%; handing out flyers tomorrow and have some Model Mayhem models lined up to get some decent portfolio work. After portfolio is solid, internship hunting! :)

In other words.... Ten-ish years to go! :p

Any pros out there, Advice would be wonderful, but the good kind.. No, "just give up and study accounting", because I'm not the quitting type ;)

My advice is that the moment or soon after your pictures are worth every penny and more that you ask from your future clients you have work. It won't be ten-ish years if your 1. Believe in your self, 2. Have talent, 3. Develope that talent. I started photography about 5 years ago and i have been pro for 2 years now.

I often recieve job applications from photogs and i have not been happy with any of their photos, although they have been to photography schools and i haven't. I am still a "fresh/young" photographer but i am constantly improving.

Last thing: don't quit. (Like you said) Nothing will happen unless you make it happen.

Upvote 0

Nick Gombinsky

Workaholic and alcoholic
Apr 27, 2011
Buenos Aires
I'm a DP and a photographer, don't know when exactly became a pro, started studying at 15 and now I'm 24, I think by 19 it was 25% income, 21 50%, and 22 onwards 100%. I often shoot with my 7D and gear but if there is more money then I go RED.

Currently shooting a tv show in an Aspen-like city of Argentina with 2x 5DmkII, 24-70 and 70-200 ;D. Dammit its cold.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Im 24, a graphic designer and photographer for a small newspaper.

I have a BA hons in Graphic design and photography which also helps give people confidence before seeing my work.

I also work as a freelance photographer. Works well for me as everyone knows me through the paper and I get more freelance work ;D

But shoot motorsport, automotive, weddings and events. Anything else is a bonus.

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

@JVillaPhoto
Any pros out there, Advice would be wonderful, but the good kind.. No, "just give up and study accounting", because I'm not the quitting type

Arrive Early.
Be prepared to stay late.

If you don't know, say so.
If you don't know, not only say so, but make it your mission to find out for next time.

Use as much gear as you can. Hire. Borrow.

There are some great books written 30 years ago. Apertures and shutters are still the same. Read. Your manual. Magazines. Books. Forums.

Don't believe everything you read.

Research. Location? Get on Google Earth. Google Streetview. Use The Photographers Ephemeris. Where will the sun be? When? How high in the sky? Get on flickr. See how other folk have tackled it, work out how you are going to tackle it.

Plan plan plan. Don't carry every bit of kit you own. Know what you'll need. No more, no less. Except for batteries and memory. How much will you need? Take double.

Be nice.

Make sure every job has a benefit for you. Sometimes this is only money. Sometimes it will be a notable face that will enhance your portfolio. Sometimes it will be a tricky situation or technical set up. Sometimes it will be all three.

Charge a rate. ALWAYS charge a rate. ALWAYS charge a rate. Be it mates rates for mates. Be it charity rates for charities. Be it the union rate. Always charge for your time, that way it's worth something to your client. People don't properly attribute value or worth to folk doing freebies. As soon as you are charging then folk will take your calls, will be there when they say they will, will go in with a plan.

This last point is the last single most important lesson somebody new to creative work can learn. Your time is worth something. Make the material good and they'll come back. You want repeat work. Do it free or cheap the first time and you've set your rate for the relationship.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I have no idea how many thousands I have sold and bought in Canon-gear, but I'm very sure I haven't made any of it back. Done a couple of concert shoots for some magazines and two weddings for a friend and my brother (and never ever again) and that's about it. For me it's about the hobby aspect, as soons as deadlines and clients come into it it takes away the fun for me. I need to have a hobby to relaz with. And mostly it's for my kids, they can pretty much go through every day of their lives and have pictures by the hour ;D

I have always worked in stores where I sell photo-gear so I think gear is just as much fun (when they work!!) as pictures and memories, well, almost.

Upvote 0
I recently had my first paid job a few months ago for a company. The photographer they used basically said no more and my friends wife is head of marketing... So he told her about me and in a nutshell I got the job last minute.

Had to shoot a few images for a trade magazine (cover and images inside). I was paid around $700 for 9 images.

They must of liked the images, thankfully, because I was invited to shoot their Holiday Party in December for even more money.

So I have a little something going with this company which is nice... Hopefully it continues with a few events each year! I also have a lead with another company that may turn into something, but the chances are a bit more slim with that.

But I never really expected to make money from my hobby... I don't require it, but it is nice to say the least. Especially when it is stuff I am comfortable with (basically anything but formal portraits).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.