How many R5 cameras do you have on order?

With the high demand and limited supply for this camera, I was wondering how many prospective owners have multiple orders in for one. I seem to recall in a few instances where this was a common practice for some in the hopes of acquiring an item in short supply as quickly as possible.
Also, if you have more than one order in with different vendors, how would you handle getting more than one shipment out at the same time since it is possible vendors get in shipments all at the same time? Refuse delivery? Send extras back? Sell on open market? Just curious about the different scenarios that can happen. Sorry in advance if this has been covered recently already.
Thanks.

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I only had one order at a time. First was thru Amazon, but saw a better deal on Best Buy... so cancelled and reordered. IMO the deal was good enough I could justify waiting if needed (ended up not having to wait much after release). I don't do the 'order a bunch, and send back the ones I don't need'... nor do I look kindly on the scalpers.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I could imagine, with hindsight, a number of people wishing they had placed two or three separate orders--then when one ships, cancelling the others. That's wouldn't have been scalping, just a strategy for minimizing wait time. It's only a real issue if they accept delivery of cameras that they don't need...and even there, it might have been hard to foresee the used ones selling for more than list. That's got to be nearly unheard of.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I ordered two from a local shop. I received one and I will not receive the other one until other people in front of me receive their first unit. This I thought is most fair and honestly as long as I have one R5 I don't really need the other one except as a back up when I go on trips which will no be until 2022 at the earliest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Two. But mine is a bit of a special situation. In anticipation of B&H reneging on our agreement (I pre-ordered 7/10 to ship to Japan), I went back to my local b&m shop 3 days ago to replace my order with them. I actually pre-ordered through them the day before the official announcement, but canceled that order and ultimately decided I preferred a US version of the R5.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys for the insight. I hadn't really thought of the backlash that might happen if someone here owned up to having multiple orders. I could see that happening, however, now that I think about it. Personally I only have one order in, but don't expect shipment anytime soon since I didn't pull the trigger on it until a couple of weeks ago. I was just curious if that practice was prevalent in this case.

Upvote 0