How much will the 5d3 cost at the end of 2012?

How much $$$ will the 5d3 cost at the end of 2012 (w/o special deals, grey imports, rebates etc...)?


  • Total voters
    84
  • Poll closed .

Northstar

EOS 5D Mark IV
Mar 31, 2012
1,673
0
106
US - Midwest
If you are going to make up sh*t, at least make it believable.

You know what i believe, i believe if you walk into ANY camera shop in the US you will consistently find the d800 out of stock, and more often than not a 5d3 in stock....I'm not making up the fact that I can buy and have a 5d3 in my hands within one day if I want one, if I want a d800, then I better say a prayer....I believe that both companies have similar manufacturing capabilities so I'm guessing that the supply side is similar.....and as I said earlier, only nikon and canon know the supply side, but the demand side seems to favor Nikon.....so - $3000 by year end for my guess.
 

Bennymiata

EOS R
CR Pro
Nikon's manufacturing facilities are small compared to Canon's.

Worldwide, Canon's far outsell Nikon, always have and probably always will.

Sure, the D800 is a wanted camera, it's just that Nikon doesn't have the facilities or the money to make more of them.

Anyway, I'm VERY happy with my 5D3 and wouldn't change it for a D800, even if the D800 was half the price and was sitting on the shelf.
There's far more to good camera than just a sensor, like good lens selection, service and reliability.
 

bdunbar79

EOS R6
May 16, 2012
3,152
0
41
Wadsworth, OH
Northstar said:
If you are going to make up sh*t, at least make it believable.

You know what i believe, i believe if you walk into ANY camera shop in the US you will consistently find the d800 out of stock, and more often than not a 5d3 in stock....I'm not making up the fact that I can buy and have a 5d3 in my hands within one day if I want one, if I want a d800, then I better say a prayer....I believe that both companies have similar manufacturing capabilities so I'm guessing that the supply side is similar.....and as I said earlier, only nikon and canon know the supply side, but the demand side seems to favor Nikon.....so - $3000 by year end for my guess.

Your logic is overwhelming. Did you consider the fact that there are more 5D Mark III's out there than D800's? Additionally, do you know Canon and Nikon production volume capabilities? You're making this conclusion because you see store shelves? Wow. Look at the overall market. Canon dominates Nikon in overall market. Maybe you are right, not in these particular two cameras, but your viewpoint is quite narrow and probably inaccurate.
 
C

crasher8

Guest
How about how much will the 5D3 be from Authorized Canon Retailers at the end of the year?
 

Northstar

EOS 5D Mark IV
Mar 31, 2012
1,673
0
106
US - Midwest
.You know what i believe, i believe if you walk into ANY camera shop in the US you will consistently find the d800 out of stock, and more often than not a 5d3 in stock....I'm not making up the fact that I can buy and have a 5d3 in my hands within one day if I want one, if I want a d800, then I better say a prayer....I believe that both companies have similar manufacturing capabilities so I'm guessing that the supply side is similar.....and as I said earlier, only nikon and canon know the supply side, but the demand side seems to favor Nikon.....so - $3000 by year end for my guess

.Your logic is overwhelming. Did you consider the fact that there are more 5D Mark III's out there than D800's? Additionally, do you know Canon and Nikon production volume capabilities? You're making this conclusion because you see store shelves? Wow. Look at the overall market. Canon dominates Nikon in overall market. Maybe you are right, not in these particular two cameras, but your viewpoint is quite narrow and probably inaccurate.
[/quote

1. Logic?? I'm just speculating on the future price of a 5d3 based on limited info.
2. How do you know "there are more 5d3's out there than d800's"? Are there actual "units sold" numbers posted somewhere? Nikon states production target of 30k d800s/ month...canon doesn't provide that info.
3. Canon does not dominate Nikon in higher end dslr market...they did, but not anymore.
4. "I see store shelves"...and I talk to store sales guys who say the interest in the d800 is higher than the 5d3.

Bottom line, both companies recently announced the sale of their 70 millionth lens, AND, the time it took each company to go from 65 million to 70 million was similar. So, IMO, this is a good indication that market share, resources, production capabilities, unit volumes..etc are pretty comparable between the two when discussing dslr's.
 
K

kalmiya

Guest
Now the interesting question is - how much it'll be end of 2013... or 2014... :p
 

Northstar

EOS 5D Mark IV
Mar 31, 2012
1,673
0
106
US - Midwest

xps

EOS R
Oct 19, 2011
996
106
Middle Europe
DB said:
The new 5D3 is now available for 2,999 euros from a reliable online retailer (I've purchased L lenses from this eBay outlet e.g. got my new 24-70mm f/2.8L for €1,039 at the start of the year) - see link below:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/g-CANON-EOS-5D-Mark-III-MIII-M-III-GARANTIE-EUROPA-4-YAHRE-NEU-/180918676722?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Digitalkameras&hash=item2a1f97ecf2#ht_5553wt_1372

That's a 500 euro or 630 dollar (US$) drop in just a couple of months from launch (includes a 4-Year Warranty).

Be careful!
My best friend ordered one @ the sensational price of 2999 € (3760$) . And he is still waiting. The seller is not able to deliver the camera, although it was in store! He has to wait 8-12 weeks. Now he tries to get his money back... NO Eos 5D III for his southamerica trip :mad:
Our biggest local dealer (who is the chairman of our local photo club) has told me that there are many grey-imported cameras along, where Canon refuses guarantee repairs.
 

ablearcher

EOS 90D
Sep 23, 2010
152
0
Canada
I think we'll see some sales (around $200) and/or rebates on MKIII at Christmas time. The official price drop will likely happen around spring of 2013 (most likely in the range of $300).

I wish Nikon was faster with meeting demand on D800 and having it in stock. Thats the only chance to see price adjustments on MKIII sooner. At this point MKIII is available in pretty much any store I look at localy, but D800 remains mostly on back order or out of stock. There is no point for Canon to even look at price change for MKIII at this point as real life availability of their competitor is simply not there. Once D800 becomes available then Canon will start losing some customers and maybe that will get them thinking in the right direction.

Canadian prices make me real sad especially considering that Nikon is able to offer same price for D800 as in US, but Canon charges Canadians extra $200 on top of their already high MSRP. So the price difference of D800 and MKIII in Canada is $700. At this point i am not jumping ship and buying D800, but i am not upgrading to Canon FF either. Regardless, I doubt that Canon Canada will ever get my cash with this pricing.
 
D

DB

Guest
Canon need to add the 5D3 to the discontinued list asap....then it's price will skyrocket to $5,000+
 

bdunbar79

EOS R6
May 16, 2012
3,152
0
41
Wadsworth, OH
DB said:
Canon need to add the 5D3 to the discontinued list asap....then it's price will skyrocket to $5,000+

What discontinued camera of Canon's is more than the original price? The 1Ds III, 1Ds II are both much, much lower. The 5D Mark II is lower. The 1D Mark IV is lower. ??
 

Richard8971

"There is no spoon" - Neo
Oct 4, 2011
403
0
49
Tucson, AZ
www.Oldpueblophotos.com
sheedoe said:

I have nothing against the sellers on eBay (as I am one myself) nor am I calling them dishonest, but I would have a really hard time spending $3100.00 on something through eBay. For something of that cost I would rather deal with a known dealer (B&H, Adorama...) or someone local. I usualy find that the extra money "saved" is not worth it if you ever have a problem.

Thankfully, even if you do have a warranty issue, you can send it straight to Canon, but who knows if the camera you are buying for $3100.00 isn't a refurb or worse?

D
 

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
604
71
www.flickr.com
Richard8971 said:
sheedoe said:

I have nothing against the sellers on eBay (as I am one myself) nor am I calling them dishonest, but I would have a really hard time spending $3100.00 on something through eBay. For something of that cost I would rather deal with a known dealer (B&H, Adorama...) or someone local. I usualy find that the extra money "saved" is not worth it if you ever have a problem.

Thankfully, even if you do have a warranty issue, you can send it straight to Canon, but who knows if the camera you are buying for $3100.00 isn't a refurb or worse?

D

Did some research and found this thread. Seems that "BigValueInc" and "Electronics Valley" are the same place and, if you read through the thread, they are selling 'imported' Pentax cameras with their own warranty, so I wouldn't expect the Canon models to be any different.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/159020-k-5-ebay-1048-a-2.html
 

bdunbar79

EOS R6
May 16, 2012
3,152
0
41
Wadsworth, OH
I only buy from sellers on ebay who have a 14 or more days return policy. If there is no return policy I simply will not purchase it. To me, there is a reason they have a no return policy. They're not sellling things to satisfy customers and doing it for business; they just want to get rid of whatever they have. I bought a lens from a guy on ebay and he said to try out at home, and if it's not what I want, return it for no problem. He had a huge track record and I spoke to him on the phone. That's the seller you want.
 

Richard8971

"There is no spoon" - Neo
Oct 4, 2011
403
0
49
Tucson, AZ
www.Oldpueblophotos.com
ablearcher said:
I think we'll see some sales (around $200) and/or rebates on MKIII at Christmas time. The official price drop will likely happen around spring of 2013 (most likely in the range of $300).

I don't see the "official" price dropping at all until the 5D mark IV comes out (if there even will ever be a 5D4). The 7D is still listed at $1699.00, even though you can buy it through B & H for $1549.00. The lowest I have ever seen the 7D (through B & H) was $1300.00 and that was a couple of months ago. The 5D3 is the "thing" right now, so I don't see the price dropping past $3000.00 through a reputable dealer any time soon.

This isn't to say that the price won't drop through some retailers but the "official" price will remain until it is replaced with another camera body or discontinued.

D
 

Richard8971

"There is no spoon" - Neo
Oct 4, 2011
403
0
49
Tucson, AZ
www.Oldpueblophotos.com
DJL329 said:
Richard8971 said:
sheedoe said:

I have nothing against the sellers on eBay (as I am one myself) nor am I calling them dishonest, but I would have a really hard time spending $3100.00 on something through eBay. For something of that cost I would rather deal with a known dealer (B&H, Adorama...) or someone local. I usualy find that the extra money "saved" is not worth it if you ever have a problem.

Thankfully, even if you do have a warranty issue, you can send it straight to Canon, but who knows if the camera you are buying for $3100.00 isn't a refurb or worse?

D

Did some research and found this thread. Seems that "BigValueInc" and "Electronics Valley" are the same place and, if you read through the thread, they are selling 'imported' Pentax cameras with their own warranty, so I wouldn't expect the Canon models to be any different.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/159020-k-5-ebay-1048-a-2.html

Um, yeah I would have to say no to that one. If a $3000.00 camera comes with a warranty that you HAVE to return to the place of purchase to honor, no thanks.

I will never again deal with a repair shop other than Canon. I got majorly screwed from a local repair shop and never again will I let anyone other than Canon touch my equipment, regardless if it is still under warranty or not!

Again, my experience shows that if the deal sounds too good to be true, it usually is!

D
 
<-- start Taboola -->