How the iconic post-Sandy 'New York' cover photo shot w/ ID-X

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never use IS during sports photography. Since I use a monopod and have a pretty steady setup, and never shoot below 1/1250s, I don't really need it. I also have no OOF shots, or at least very rarely. There's no reason for me to constantly run the IS motor when it makes not a lick of difference in the quality of my photos.

However, when handholding at slower shutter speeds, I definitely use it.

Upvote 0
P

PackLight

rlarsen said:
Great elephant shot.
Why not shoot at 1/500 f4 instead, or 800 asa for faster shutter speeds ?
Maybe even 1000 at 2.8.

When I shoot from the air I really try to speed up the shutter but I understand the need for DOF if I'm not shooting straight down.

Again, nice shot, very unique.

It is a very nice shot.
I think the answer to your questions will be that he was shooting with a 2x convertor, unless Canon makes a 70-400mm f/2.8 that I do not know about.

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
timkbryant said:
iso79 said:
Most professional photographers rarely use IS or even turn it on.

Agreed. I am technically a professional (reporter/photog with a weekly newspaper) and I have IS turned off on the lens that has it (24-105) and I did not bother buying the IS version of the 70-200 f/2.8 because at the speeds I shoot, it's not going to have an effect.

Apart from many other things, I spend an awful lot of time with reporters etc (and have done for a couple of decades) and I cannot remember a single time noticing one of them had any of their cameras with IS off. Why would they? Why would you? Makes no sense.

There could be some weird feedback loop with high frequency vibrations in some cases.
That could be a reason to turn IS of.
But I don´t get why he has not used a faster prime lens ?

Upvote 0
bdunbar79 said:
I never use IS during sports photography. Since I use a monopod and have a pretty steady setup, and never shoot below 1/1250s, I don't really need it. I also have no OOF shots, or at least very rarely. There's no reason for me to constantly run the IS motor when it makes not a lick of difference in the quality of my photos.

Well, I must say that is quite unusual. In all my years, and having done many major sporting events in different countries, I do not think I have ever seen anyone shoot with it off.

And to say it does not make a lick of difference. It might not, but can, if you get knocked by your neighbour, accidentally prodded by a monopod in your back, or who knows what else.

If it does not make a lick of difference, then you might as well have it on so you do not forget to turn it on when you do need it. ;-)

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
bdunbar79 said:

Well, I must say that is quite unusual. In all my years, and having done many major sporting events in different countries, I do not think I have ever seen anyone shoot with it off.

And to say it does not make a lick of difference. It might not, but can, if you get knocked by your neighbour, accidentally prodded by a monopod in your back, or who knows what else.

If it does not make a lick of difference, then you might as well have it on so you do not forget to turn it on when you do need it. ;-)

Yes but I'm unusual :).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.