How to Fix Weird Visual Behaviour With Your EOS 5D Mark IV & Third Party Lenses

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Just <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/how-to-fix-weird-visual-behaviour-with-pairing-the-eos-1d-x-mark-ii-sigma-lenses/">like the EOS-1D X Mark II</a>, you may experience some visual issues with the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV when paired with third party lenses from companies like Sigma and Tamron.</p>
<p>To correct this, do the following:</p>
<ul>
<li>Navigate to red menu 1 and locate <strong>Lens abberation correction</strong></li>
<li>Turn <strong>Peripheral illum corr</strong> to OFF</li>
</ul>
<p><em>Photo Credit // <a href="https://twitter.com/stephreasonover/status/773953955592302592">Stephen R</a></em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

LoneRider

Profession Geek.
Oct 4, 2011
Great state of Texas
Re: How to Fix Weird Visual Behaviour With Your EOS 5D Mark IV & Sigma Lenses

Normalnorm said:
How many Mark IVs are out there?

AFAIK they all pre-order status.

They are out there. I picked one up from my (now) camera shop here in the greater DFW area today. Just waiting for the battery to charge and pulling the photos off my CF card as I type.

EDIT: I will add, I must be an idiot, the first lens that will be on it is my Sigma 24-104/F4. Oh well, thanks for the tip!

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013

It's basically the same problem and fix as with many Tamron lenses on the 1DX2 - which has a new firmware since a few days, but still leaves some Tamron lenses like the 28-300 full frame superzoom completely unusable!

Probably Canon saw that large parts of their lineup is trumped by third party manufacturers, so they make the protocols as complicated as possible. Probably that's another reason why Sigma and Tamron released their external lens upgrade devices!

I receive my 5D4 tomorrow and I'm pretty sure lots of problems will remain with Sigma and Tamron lenses, equally to the 1DX2. It just would be too easy if everything would work out without such stupid problems... now the cameras and lenses are excellent, but they don't work with each other.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Talley said:
chauncey said:
What idiot would put a Sigma lens on that camera?

This idiot! Oh wait... all my lenses are sigma or Tamron you know except for my 200 F2 which makes me more of an idiot.

ppfff....

You can send me the Canon 200 f/2 if it would make you feel any better about yourself. I'm all for lifting a man's self-esteem. ;)

Upvote 0

But this is not a fix, it's a workaround.

The issue is that the Sigmas are not fully compatible with the latest Canons (including 1DXII, 7DII, 5DS/R and 5DIV).

It means that if I want to use a Canon lens with peripheral illumination correction on, and then change to a Sigma, I have to do more than just change the lens - I have to go into a menu each time and change the setting.

Shooting RAW will work, too, and I do shoot RAW + JPEG, but there are times when I want to send the JPEG on the spot, so again, this is a workaround, rather than a solution.

I had this issue with my Sigma Art 35mm on my 5DS. Wasn't a problem with my 6D. In the end, I sold the lens because I didn't want to deal with these workarounds all the time (plus I realised that I didn't shoot 35mm as much as I thought). They're nice lenses, but this issue meant that the lens didn't do what I needed.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2016

boels069 said:
It has to do with LensTypeValue in EXIF and holds for any 3rd party lens.
See:
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/Canon.html#LensType

I suspect that this table provides a solution for this problem.

Take a look at this list and find the canon lens with the same number as your third party lens.

Assuming that you do not own that canon lens you should use the EOS utility to remove that profile from your camera.

That should prevent lense correction on that model of lens, and thus on the third party lens in question.

Please post here if this solves the issue.

It's also worth pointing out that it's the third party manufacturers that have caused this issue by lying in the exif information about which lens you have connected.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011

chauncey said:
A photographer that wants incredibly sharp images with excellent bokeh in the 20mm, 35mm and 50mm focal lengths at a reasonable cost. There are lots of us who have signed on for that. 8)

Upvote 0

infared said:
chauncey said:
A photographer that wants incredibly sharp images with excellent bokeh in the 20mm, 35mm and 50mm focal lengths at a reasonable cost. There are lots of us who have signed on for that. 8)

Amen to that. I have the great, sharp 35 Art and it has never disappointed me, and my kids and I don't have to mortgage the house to give our money to Canon.

Upvote 0

JohnUSA said:
This behavior exists with my 5D3 and Sigma EX 85mm f1.4 lens. I was one of the pioneers that discovered it a few years ago! Cough!
I've used that combo for years without noticing it.

Under what circumstances does it manifest itself?

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune

chauncey said:
Many videographers who might want to use Sigmas crop lenses as this camera has 1.7x crop factor for 4k video. Also people like me who own Sigma's lenses which fill the gap in Canon's lens lineup.

Also out of curiosity do people really use peripheral illumination correction? I find it best to leave it disabled and correct vignetting(very rarely I need to fix vignetting as I shoot lens stopped down to f/8 or slower only) in post with Lightroom.

Upvote 0