Hyperfocal Distance

DanP

CR Pro
Dec 8, 2014
Do any Canon cameras (or any other manufacturers' cameras for that matter) have an option to provide the user with the hyperfocal distance for the camera's current lens focal length and F-stop settings? I would find this to be a useful function, and even better if the camera could, on operator command, set the lens to the hyperfocal distance (don't know if lenses are sufficiently calibrated to allow for this). If a smart phone app can calculate the hyperfocal distance, I see no reason why the camera manufacturers couldn't program their cameras to do it.

Nov 16, 2014
Well our smart phones have touch screens, wifi, gps, the ability to put our pictures online immediately, any apps we want to download, a operating system that doesn't look like the old Dos computer systems like our cameras do, etc. so I'm sure they could incorporate that if they wanted to and over stuff I mentioned but will they? Maybe someday. I love my cameras but you'd think canon and nikon would start to incorporate that stuff and make it a new fun user experience. i think they really need to put features in our cameras like that in the future. Like I said I love my cameras but I think some new innovation would add to them. The 5d3 with that stuff would be awesome to me.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
Ryan85 said:
Well our smart phones have touch screens, wifi, gps, the ability to put our pictures online immediately, any apps we want to download, a operating system that doesn't look like the old Dos computer systems like our cameras do, etc. so I'm sure they could incorporate that if they wanted to and over stuff I mentioned but will they? Maybe someday. I love my cameras but you'd think canon and nikon would start to incorporate that stuff and make it a new fun user experience. i think they really need to put features in our cameras like that in the future. Like I said I love my cameras but I think some new innovation would add to them. The 5d3 with that stuff would be awesome to me.

I like the current interface... but I suppose at the current rate of change, I wouldn't be surprised if phones start putting large sensors with an EF mount on the back. I mean, Nokia had some 40MP cellphone (Lumia something...). And, thats what mirroless people want.... may be I should patent this and give apple a call.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
DanP said:
Do any Canon cameras (or any other manufacturers' cameras for that matter) have an option to provide the user with the hyperfocal distance for the camera's current lens focal length and F-stop settings? I would find this to be a useful function, and even better if the camera could, on operator command, set the lens to the hyperfocal distance (don't know if lenses are sufficiently calibrated to allow for this). If a smart phone app can calculate the hyperfocal distance, I see no reason why the camera manufacturers couldn't program their cameras to do it.

Not to my knowledge.

Although your point is interesting, and I'm sure it could be done, why you would want it incorporated baffles me, as you point out, it's fairly easy to pull this info up on your iPhone, iPad etc and manually make your adjustments.

I'm just waiting for the announcement that a major Camera manufacturer has had the brilliant idea of incorporating voice calls into the sub menu of their next DSLR :-\

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2014
DanP said:
Being a dinosaur, I don't own a smart phone. Also, why require a second piece of equipment to do something the first piece should do for you?

Imo canon & Nikon are being dinosaurs by not innovating Some things. The ability to download a app on your camera to do what you want should be possible. Personality I don't think I'd use it but it be nice to have the ability to put some custom things like that on your if you wanted too.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
Ryan85 said:
DanP said:
Being a dinosaur, I don't own a smart phone. Also, why require a second piece of equipment to do something the first piece should do for you?

Imo canon & Nikon are being dinosaurs by not innovating Some things. The ability to download a app on your camera to do what you want should be possible. Personality I don't think I'd use it but it be nice to have the ability to put some custom things like that on your if you wanted too.

Its not that it is impossible, someone needs to write the app.
Most phone apps are not written by the manufacturer, its mostly open source (independent, third party - mobile software engineers thats creating those apps).

Canon is openly sharing its code, hence the reason Magic Lantern exists. I think you can play arkanoid on most models (except probably the 7DII), so its possible... any software engineer willing to sacrifice their time to create this app. for Canon cams?

Canon isn't a dinosaur, may be we are a little spoiled with phone apps?

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2014
It could be were spoiled with our phone apps. And really were pretty spoiled with our cameras and lenses imo. I think if our phones can take a picture then press a button to send it to fb or email or whatever our expensive dslr should be able too. I think eventually all that will be in the cameras. I also think theres lots of money to be made there once it happens if it's all done right. I love my gear but for people and young people in particular just getting into photography it just looks dated and complex. The new Fujis, samsungs, Sonys mirroless System seem more exciting and seem to be inovating. Would I trade my gear and switch? No!!! But I want canon to stay on top and I think modernizing there interface, adding touch screen, gps, wifi, the ability to get a great shot you take online immeadility like you can with a phone will help do that. Point and shoots were killed with phones I don't won't these new systems to surpass dslr's the future.

Upvote 0

lintoni

Good grief!
Mar 18, 2012
DanP said:

Yes, those that run Magic Lantern. ;)

Upvote 0

e17paul

Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
Oct 8, 2013
London, UK
Ryan85 said:
It could be were spoiled with our phone apps. And really were pretty spoiled with our cameras and lenses imo. I think if our phones can take a picture then press a button to send it to fb or email or whatever our expensive dslr should be able too. I think eventually all that will be in the cameras. I also think theres lots of money to be made there once it happens if it's all done right. I love my gear but for people and young people in particular just getting into photography it just looks dated and complex. The new Fujis, samsungs, Sonys mirroless System seem more exciting and seem to be inovating. Would I trade my gear and switch? No!!! But I want canon to stay on top and I think modernizing there interface, adding touch screen, gps, wifi, the ability to get a great shot you take online immeadility like you can with a phone will help do that. Point and shoots were killed with phones I don't won't these new systems to surpass dslr's the future.

+1000
Canikon optics are generally great, but they otherwise need to be in fear of the electronics manufacturers. Why can't the camera show indicate depth of field base upon focal length, aperture and focus distance? All of that information is known to the camera's electronics when in use.

The pinch and zoom interface on Canon touch screen displays is a step in the right direction, and a hopeful sign. The Canon menu system feels archaic compared to my phone, but is ahead of Pentax. I'm writing this because I'm hoping it is read by Canon.

Upvote 0
A while ago, I just copied the tables from http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html into an Excel sheet for my most often used focal lengths.
I then printed those tables on small paper (little bigger than a business card), laminated them and have them with me in my camera backpack. Works perfectly.

The most hindering things are
- little overall movement of the focus ring (as, e.g., the 24-105L has a focus ring, which doesn't turn together with the AF motor, why not using a much wider transmission allowing for lets say a 360° turn from near to infinity?)
- almost useless distance gauges. They lack decent markings (why not print a logarithmic ruler scale below the numbers?) so good luck when trying to set your focus distance to let's say 37 meters ...

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2014
e17paul said:
Ryan85 said:

+1000
Canikon optics are generally great, but they otherwise need to be in fear of the electronics manufacturers. Why can't the camera show indicate depth of field base upon focal length, aperture and focus distance? All of that information is known to the camera's electronics when in use.

The pinch and zoom interface on Canon touch screen displays is a step in the right direction, and a hopeful sign. The Canon menu system feels archaic compared to my phone, but is ahead of Pentax. I'm writing this because I'm hoping it is read by Canon.

+1

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2014
AmselAdans said:
tolusina said:
Doesn't stop down preview/DOF preview show you directly in the viewfinder exactly what you seek?

At least for the Rebel line, the viewfinder is -in my opinion- too small and dark to judge either accurate focusing or desired DOF.
[/quot

Higher res and a little bigger screens would be nice to have.

Upvote 0