IBIS is coming to select next generation Canon DSLRs [CR2]

Looks like a lot of new technology and a big jump from the 80d. Will the 90d maybe cost as much as a 7d2? Or will they somehow cripple it?
More than likely it's designed to just slot in existing mounts that held the sensor before. The sensor chip is mounted to a pcb board, the ibis will be too.

Most of the technology with the camera outside the chip is all technology that has already been there in place in other bodies. The liveview capabilities are lifted from the R series at this point, the autofocus system is either lifted from the existing 1dxmkII or the 5dMkiv, and the FPS is rising to at least 7dMkII speeds which is most likely less than the sensor can actually do, to leave room for a R version down the road with faster fps when not using a mirror.

The development costs to put all of this in the camera will not be as great as the development costs of the components have already been paid for those other lines. This will allow the DSLR compete for years against mirrorless bodies it competes against like the rumored a6500. I'd also expect that most all mirrorless features will show up when using live view. Even eye focus is there on the cheapo SL3.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Looking forward to seeing how the IBIS performs! For years now I’ve been meaning to upgrade my 100mm f2.8 to the L IS version but haven’t ever gotten round to it. I might not have to bother after all now!
Don't worry. Like the rest of us you'll have some GAS when you look at the eventual 100mm R mount version. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Putting IS in the 90D could give good engineering/manufacturing/reliability/software feedback for IBIS for pro mirrorless and a 1 series, where they need to get things right.

OK it's a very different camera, but a lot of useful info can come from putting a feature out there 'for real'

Upvote 0
How very, very original. Nice first impression, repeating "Canon is doomed" like so many other initial responders. Hope this inanity is going to be tiresome even to those posting it. Saying the same thing over and over, sarcastically or otherwise, begins to sound...troubled.
The world is full of mundane and silly things and maybe my comment was one of them, but that "Canon..ed" was my first time ever (If I remember correctly). But, I am curious to know what satisfaction it gives you to shout at silly things! You can....ignore them?

Upvote 0