jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Ladislav said:
HarryFilm said:
I had to convert the ENTIRE MP4-spec codec to the Pascal programming language so I could make it READABLE for me ...

:eek:

I had to laugh at this too.

There's only one reason to learn Pascal programming, and that is to teach other people Pascal.

Upvote 0
jolyonralph said:
Ladislav said:
HarryFilm said:
I had to convert the ENTIRE MP4-spec codec to the Pascal programming language so I could make it READABLE for me ...

There's only one reason to learn Pascal programming, and that is to teach other people Pascal.

No, it's also an excellent stepping-stone to Delphi programming. ;D :p

Upvote 0
zim said:
Be careful now, with all this cynicism he'll withdraw his offer, that'd teach you. ::)

Exactly my thought. If I see all the cynism which is spread out over the ops post he could say: See, you do not deserve this!

I have learned that there are people who can do the same job in programming 100times faster than me. I am glad that I can do some programming for "advanced home use" and people are astonished about my capabilities in the programming section (which is funny for me).

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
jolyonralph said:
Ladislav said:
HarryFilm said:

I had to laugh at this too.

Do you know the first version of PhotoShop was written in Pascal?

Upvote 0
"And this is how you know that it isn't real..... A decent programmer would have converted it to COBOL......"

===

As the OP, I actually DO know Cobol, IBM JCL and the VAX VMS command languages so just having THOSE on my resume should tell you how long I've been doing this!

And on a technical basis, I like using BOTH Lazarus Pascal AND Delphi Pascal which are fully object-oriented and they both FORCE you to write good (readable!) code. I could write in C++ or pure assembler too BUT that would make my code unreadable for almost everyone! I could do this C++ or Basic or even Python but for now it's a platform independent language.

CURRENT STATUS OF PROJECT:

The codec itself is DONE and because of MPEG-LA group licencing issues, I've had to make some modifications to NOT use any patents and algorithms used in the MPEG-4 or H.265 specification. The USA is getting especially NASTY on the legal front regarding enforcement of software patents --- Soooooo, the container format and algorithms I actually use are TRULY and FULLY open source and NOT subject to ANY USA or European video encoding patents and WILL be readable by Adobe Original and CC products, Windows AVI-format compatible systems, BM Resolve, and hopefully soon after Apple FCP.

Output Video Quality-wise, I have done EXTENSIVE image quality analysis(i.e. using hardware-based video signals DSP and analysis) to ensure that while the algorithm itself is NOT MP4/H264/H265/HVEC, it's final image quality WILL be nearly identical and at higher bitrates BETTER! It supports Short and Long GOP, I-frame-only, full 4:4:4 RAW and 3:1 and 6:1 RAW encoding.

An installable Direct-X/Windows Media codec for Windows is the first thing I will be releasing in the next three weeks and the 7Dmk2 version soon after. This allows you to DIRECTLY read (import) AND write (export) my 4:4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0, 4:1:1 color format pixels at 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16-bits per colour channel (RGBA or YCbCrA formats) and one-bit Black/white and 2, 4, 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16-bit Greyscale pixels. These more esoteric colour formats I included for you scientific personnel who need such formats.

Frame rates are user selectable for North America and Europe/Asia so you get hard coded integer frames per second rates 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 30, 48, 50, 60, 72, 100, 120, 240, 300, 480, 500, 1000, 2000 fps and fractional pro-level 23.976, 29.97, 59.94, 119.88, etc. I put this in there for EXPORT and IMPORT so as my codec gets added to more hardware, the frame rates supported will be essentially unlimited.

There is also a user-selectable CUSTOM frame rate selector which ALLOWS ANY frame rate up to quadrillions of fps (i.e. 32 or 64-bit floating point number depending upon system) for those of you in the scientific community who need such high frame rates.

For those of you in Astrophotography and time-lapse projects, there is built-in support for user definable frames per minute, per hour, per day, per week, per month and per year!

It ALSO supports VARIABLE frame sizes and VARIABLE FRAME RATES on output so this means the codec can output multiple versions of the output/compressed video to multiple files.

Example: Output a 4k DCI 4096x2160 video at 59.94 fps, a 1920x1080p 59.94 fps and a 960x540 24 fps file for web use AT THE SAME TIME. There are frame size presets for export and import of 80x60, 160x120, 320x240, 360x240, 480x270 for ultra-high frame rates at 300+ fps and 640x480, NTSC 720x480, PAL/SECAM 720x540, 852x480, 960x540, DCI 2048x1080, 1920x1080, 3840x2160, 4096x2160, 7680x4320, 8192x4320 and even 16k pixel frame size formats at hardware-checked frame rates!

Custom frame sizes of ANY SIZE are available for BOTH crop-sensor sampling (i.e. take from middle of sensor) and the sample frames can also be downsampled or supersampled from the sensor depending upon available camera's CPU horsepower. Resize algorithms are user-selectable, Bilinear, Bicubic, Lanczos3 and Lanczos-5 for BEST image quality and you can ADD an UNSHARP MASK after downsampling or upsampling on import and on output to a file!

In-codec Zebra-stripes, selectable 75 to 100% IRE luma peaking in 1% increments, black-level 0.0%, 7.5% to 20% luma dipping indicators will show your video levels as you record. There is a histrogram and RGB parade display for other monitoring. All Output to file(s) is usually CLEAN from those monitoring and any metadata overlays unless you select otherwise.

AND finally, there is BUILT-IN support for advanced Lens information, Date, Clock Time, Time Code, Scene Number, Shot Number, Frame Number, GPS location, 3D-XYZ Depth map and user-defined text-based metadata saved for EVERY FRAME or saved on a user-defined every Nth frame basis. Metadata can be exported to XML or CSV MS Excel Spreadsheet formats or BOTH at the same time. AND for the kicker, the Metadata can be STREAMED live out the USB port OR via wifi (if equipped!) or via the Ethernet port of the higher end cameras AND be saved into the output files ALL AT THE SAME TIME during recording OR playback on metadata tracks separate from the video tracks OR actually have them BURNED into the video!

Sound is high-end features with 4 khz to 192 khz up to 10 Mhz selectable sample rate at 8, 16, 20, 24 and 32-bits audio sampling and supports from one to 256 tracks of audio! (i wanted PRO-LEVEL audio features!)

Of course the higher-end the camera you have, the MORE of these features will auto-activate. For higher frame sizes, you may have to live with 24fps rather than 60 fps. For multiple file outputs at the same time, you may have to buy FASTER storage cards...the system will TELL YOU what your camera can support based upon auto-calculated CPU speed and bandwidth measurements.

I DO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT the "Thermal Budget" of the Canon (or other brand!) cameras so I do a hardware/memory card check first before I activate specific features. I do however, allow the end-user to OVERRIDE what I suggest!

It will be THEIR responsibility warranty-wise and on a LEGAL basis because my open source licence will SPECIFICALLY mention the possible or even LIKELY risk of your camera catching on fire or literally exploding -- i.e. batteries or motherboards overheating/exploding due to software usage!) and ME NOT being responsible because use of the new software on yours or other cameras is "FULLY AT YOUR OWN RISK OF INJURY/DEATH TO LIFE AND LIMB"! No claims of fitness will be made and no warrantees will be expressed or implied! If you use it then Too Bad! So Sad! It will be Your LEGAL and HEALTH Problems and Issues to deal with if you use the software! NOT MINE!

Hooking into the Canon BIOS of course has been an ABSOLUTE ROYAL bachoooeeey of thankless programming frustration BUT I am testing a Canon 7D Mark2 as my initial test bed so I don't accidentally BRICK our $6000+ Canon 1Dc's or $40,000+ (30 000 Euros) C700!

The 7Dmk2 is first, then the 6D series, then 5D Mk2/Mk3/Mk4, the 1DX mk1/mk2
and THEN the C100 mk1/mk2, C200, C300 mk1/mk2, C500 and C700 cameras.
I ==POSSIBLY== might be able to port codec to the Olympus, Pentax,
Sony a7/a9 series and anything ELSE that has an ARM-based CPU chip in it!

So far so good, will know how the 7Dmk2 holds up by later next week!
We shall see! I will release the Windows Direct-X/WinMedia codec within three weeks!

WISH ME LUCK on getting the Canon Camera BIOS hook-in correct!

Upvote 0
POST FROM: ExodistPhotography

LOL the OP has likely never taken computer programming or know anything about the hardware in a camera. You can not make hardware do something with software that it was not built to do. It would be like trying to dig a hole in the ground with a pogo stick..

OP ANSWER: I’ve been doing this video programming since the 1980’s AND with much experience real-time, mission-critical aerospace systems so I think I just might be able to allay your doubts.

===

POST FROM: LDS

Also, often you can't push hardware to its limits (and beyond) because you just shorten its life. Canon knows it has to honor its warranty (and in some countries it may be a longer time than in US), and anyway devices that stop working in two-three years, as soon as the warranty expires, are never a good publicity - some may replace the devices earlier, but many don't. And even so, the value of used devices which have a good chance to break very soon would be quite low.

Some users may accept the risk - but most won't.

MY ANSWER: You can push hardware to WHATEVER LIMITS you want! It’s just a mere matter of money! We literally have a ton of Canon cameras from Powershots to 7D’s to 1D’s to C300's to C700’s. I’m not worried about the warranty since its OUR systems we can brick. I can just reload a BIOS anyways by doing a direct pin-based connection and forced upload or just de-soldering the chip and putting in another BIOS chip! It's not like we haven’t done this before! AND ABSOLUTELY YES! we can run right on the Digic chip motherboard itself which I take out of the camera and put it onto a test bench and upload the BIOS!

===

POST FROM: unfocused

Mr. Film, if you are still reading, does this mean your business or the business you work for actually owns or stocks every current model of Canon DSLRs and Canon EOS Cinema cameras? Or, does that mean that your business can order any Canon DSLR or Canon EOS Cinema camera?

And, how does your business feel about you experimenting on their costly inventory?

Can you enlighten us as to what this mystery business is? I'm not sure that even Lens Rentals, B&H or Adorama has every single model of Canon DSLR and Cinema EOS Cinema camera. And, I doubt that they would allow anyone to start mucking around with the firmware even if they did.

Were he not preoccupied with the Zombie Apocalypse I might suspect that your real name might be Eugene.

MY ANSWER: YUP we literally HAVE MANY Canon Cameras from three decades ago to NOW! Low-end consumer to high-end Broadcast/Cinema and Sony F55/F65’s and Arri Alexa’s and multiple Reds and Panasonic and multiple OTHER professional and consumer-level brands AND all that ridiculously expensive glass that goes along with those cameras!

AND I can just put in a requisition/PO and get whatever I want WHEN I WANT with a simple sign-off from the head honchos! (I should note I do have to get PERMISSION to put in new bioses or desolder chips, but since we tear apart 1D’s regularly that is NOT usually an issue!) And we have ALREADY modified our systems to such an extent that warranties are IRRELEVANT! We literally BLOW UP $10,000+ cameras to smithereens on a quite regular basis!

---

The final in-camera results I will try to make speak for themselves!

So how about a little patience and some WELL WISHES for me trying to hook into that beeeeeassshhhinnnly frustrating Canon BIOS ?!

Upvote 0
POSTER: NeuroAnatomist

"...Hey Harry, where's that Canon medium format camera you said was coming REALLY SOON? Where's the evidence on it that you promised you'd deliver in two weeks...back in last July? ..."

---

It's interesting that you brought that up!

While I do have "Some Evidence" to actually bring such claims forward, it really is NOT UP TO ME as to when this is to be released. I DON'T PERSONALLY have any of the TRULY HARD EVIDENCE that would absolutely cause a massive Canon-specific Internet discussion to suddenly flare up. I just have specifications (as displayed in other forums) and some generic photo evidence I have seen via an online text and videophone discussion.

The "Eigenvector Group" in Germany that I was made aware of, who actually DO HAVE have the FULL EVIDENCE of a Canon Medium Format camera testing now "Out In The Wild" have specified some rather interesting desires and pre-conditions as to how and when they are showing their evidence which I find rather confusing. I personally think they are using a delayed release schedule tactic to try to Confuse the Canon legal investigations team so they won't find their leak sources. That is MY SUSPICION! I don't even personally know WHERE Eigenvector exists NOR how to contact them in Germany. I have YET to get information from another group in the Netherlands who seems to have the inside track...BUT...I have found using my own investigatory means, that it seems that the Northlight Images website in the UK which I frequent quite often myself because of their FANTASTIC Photo Tips and Tricks columns and equipment reviews, seems to have the BEST INSIDE SCOOPS on what is to come from Canon...I suspect the Netherlands group AND Eigenvector are secretly posting there!

===
P.S. TO: Canon Legal Department: It's NOT ME whose doing any leaking -- Don't ask me! I just read about it but I would DEFINITELY keep a watch on THIS site and Northlight Images! p.s.2. You could ALSO hurry up and just RELEASE the damn MF camera thing like TODAY :) :) and give us what we want!
===

I should note however, as a person who has some interest in non-civilian intelligence gathering systems and services, I have heard through enough of "The Grapevine" of my contacts in a multitude of Technology Overview Groups (i.e. people who follow technology and science innovations for various organizations), that it seems they too have some confirmable evidence of an In-the-Wild Canon Medium Format Camera!

I personally expect that sometime before NAB 2018 something BIG is going to be leaked and it won't be just that 4K Powershot camera! AND I expect the delay was or IS being done for the purposes of trying to obscure leak sources IMHO!

We shall see VERY SOON enough! :) ;-) ;-) :) :)

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:

You can roll your eyes all you like...BUT...I'm gonna stick with my explanation because it seems there are OTHER GROUPS who are corroborating information I have seen about a Canon Medium Format Camera. Somethings up in the MF arena from Canon and I AM PERSONALLY going to state that the specifications I have outlined in earlier forums -- I BELIEVE THEM TO BE REAL!

It seems to me that there is too much technical detail for it to be demonstrably false. I say that there are certain mechanical details in those specs that the typical Canon Rumors reader would HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE of how to fake because they are NOT engineers! These specs APPEAR to have been written by a TRUE electrical and/or mechanical engineer, so I am more inclined to give them some greater weighting towards being TRUE than FALSE! Ergo, I think the specs are REAL and the Canon MF camera IS LIKELY VERY VERY REAL!

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
HarryFilm said:
I say that there are certain mechanical details in those specs that the typical Canon Rumors reader would HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE of how to fake because they are NOT engineers! These specs APPEAR to have been written by a TRUE electrical and/or mechanical engineer, so I am more inclined to give them some greater weighting towards being TRUE than FALSE! Ergo, I think the specs are REAL and the Canon MF camera IS LIKELY VERY VERY REAL!

There couldn’t possibly be forum members with a background in electrical engineering.... certainly not having worked in a research lab for the last 35 years.... Hey Neuro! Have you heard of any researchers who participate on this forum?

Btw.... look at my Avatar.... posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986.... and “the web” was invented in 1988....

---

That Occam's Razer thing rears it's head here again!

On the balance of probability, the solution with the least number of variables and least number of assumptions is the most likely possibility or likely reality!

Why the heck would ANYONE want to post such a detailed specification with such engineering detail on any website? I've SEEN the photo (pretty darn sharp one too!) with a comparison of the MF camera against another Canon 1D series camera and lens near a person's hand. WHY would ANYONE goto such lengths to do that sort of comparison? I've done more than a bit of legal video work in my youth and viable monetary or personal MOTIVES were a big factor in the cases I have been witness to. Here, I don't see a VIABLE personal or PROFITABLE motive!

There is "No Gain" personal or monetary gain for fakery that I see...whoever did this comparison has REAL information who WANTED to leak this information out for TECHNICAL WONDERMENT (i.e. they're excited about a Canon MF camera!) purposes.

I can't even see a case for disinformation purposes because Canon isn't going to want to damage their branding by pulling this sort of stunt! They would run afoul of US SEC and other financial regulations because that type of (dis)information affects share prices which they MUST BY LAW disclose publicly and to shareholders!

I think we need to look at WHERE (Europe most likely) and WHEN (last year) the data was obtained from and then look at WHAT ELSE canon has revealed via recent prototypes and high-end customer appreciation events which INDICATE with a high level of probability that a professional-level Medium Format Mirrorless Camera IS ABSOLUTELY coming from Canon very very soon !!!

AND YES! I would take out a big loan and buy it the day it was put out for sale!
Because I would LOOOOOVE to have a Canon MF camera with GREAT low-light
full sensor-size downsampled 4K 60/120 fps Video, full resolution 25+ FPS 8K by 6k pixel stills and blazingly fast DPAF useble in low-light!

Upvote 0