Image Stabilization in extreme movement?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Talys said:
monkey44 said:
BTW: I almost never shut off IS unless on tripod and for long exposure scenic ... IS acts as if it's off when it detects stability, usually. Of course, that also depends on the IS model ...

With a bigger lens, IS isn't even terrible on a tripod. In a lot of cases, the tripod is not perfectly steady, for example, if you haven't given it time to settle, or if it's windy.

If I'm using 1/1000 or faster, even if it's on a tripod, it's hard to see any negative effect of the IS, whereas it can save some shots (or frames) that may otherwise have been blurry. The other advantage of leaving on IS is that you don't forget to turn it back on, if you're going back and forth between tripod and not.

Canon's instruction for lenses that have tripod detection is to leave the IS on while using a tripod because it might minimise mirror/shutter shake. Arash Hazeghi always leaves on IS for BIF since it helps maintain the bird in the centre of the viewfinder and doesn't have negative IQ effects etc. I leave IS on as well, for what it's worth.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
AlanF said:
Talys said:
monkey44 said:
BTW: I almost never shut off IS unless on tripod and for long exposure scenic ... IS acts as if it's off when it detects stability, usually. Of course, that also depends on the IS model ...

With a bigger lens, IS isn't even terrible on a tripod. In a lot of cases, the tripod is not perfectly steady, for example, if you haven't given it time to settle, or if it's windy.

If I'm using 1/1000 or faster, even if it's on a tripod, it's hard to see any negative effect of the IS, whereas it can save some shots (or frames) that may otherwise have been blurry. The other advantage of leaving on IS is that you don't forget to turn it back on, if you're going back and forth between tripod and not.

Canon's instruction for lenses that have tripod detection is to leave the IS on while using a tripod because it might minimise mirror/shutter shake. Arash Hazeghi always leaves on IS for BIF since it helps maintain the bird in the centre of the viewfinder and doesn't have negative IQ effects etc. I leave IS on as well, for what it's worth.

Thanks, Alan: I did not know that (re Canon's instruction).

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
AlanF said:
Talys said:
monkey44 said:

Thanks, Alan. I did not know that (about Canon's recommendation)

Upvote 0