Images & Specifications For the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III

Dec 25, 2012
Lots of carping here.
The looks of the camera are similar to the rest of the family. Frankly, I like the look. We need more interesting looking cameras rather than less.

Slow lens? Maybe, but not too slow and what really matters is how sharp is it?
The camera is extremely compact for an APS-C camera and answers the complaints of so many who decry the lack of compactness on mirrorless cameras with ILC.

For me the key is the leaf shutter. This is the first camera since the Leica X-Vario to have an APS-C sensor, a leaf shutter and a 24-70 zoom. In the case of the Leica the superb, but even slower, lens was attached to a body with no EVF and only 16 MP.

Now we have an up to date sensor, an EVF and the promise of a decent lens.
This could serve to replace my 5dmkIIIs for a ton of my outdoor flash work. No more working at f11 or 13 just to get some balance in the bright desert sun I work in. No more dragging big lights to push fill out 15 to 20 feet. And no more fooling with the profound kludges of HSS or hypersync.
Oh yeah, no noisy flipping mirror.

Totally worth it for me.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Normalnorm said:
For me the key is the leaf shutter. This is the first camera since the Leica X-Vario to have an APS-C sensor, a leaf shutter and a 24-70 zoom. In the case of the Leica the superb, but even slower, lens was attached to a body with no EVF and only 16 MP.

lef shutter - missed this . is it conformed in specs or you just assume because of G1X I and II ? What X-sync does it have?

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Sporgon said:
Someone sent me some videos of equipment shot on an iPhone in 4K. What a pain in the butt downloading it and up loading it to others. And the quality of it looked no better than anything else to me.

Don't you realize that shooting 4k on a 2mm sensor for display on a 4 inch screen is the wave of the future?! Duh!

Upvote 0
"It's so ugly." Huh??

It quite sensibly uses the space over the lens to store the flash. Thank goodness it doesn't have the "fake pentaprism" bulb on the top. Fuji and Sony put their viewfinder too close to the lens mount to use this space, and Olympus "glue a square to a triangle" is just idiotic.

The grip actually makes sense. Its almost like someone studied ergonomics. News flash camera makers, when the buttons are on top the fingers don't curl around the front of the camera, they angle forward. The major flaw I see here is the front control wheel (yay, it's continuous instead of recessed!) is too close to the grip.

AF assist lamp is on the left, where the fingers aren't. Camera makers get this wrong all the time.

Flash it out of the way of the hot shoe. I wonder if it's high enough to not be obscured by the fully-extended lens. Hopefully.

Threaded front of lens! Yay!

Locking mode dial. Nice.

Exposure comp dial is recessed. So many cameras get this wrong.

Back is cramped. Small camera, but really cramped. Would have liked a levered drive ring under the mode dial.

Missing the image sensor plane mark.

Fully side-articulating LCD. None of the tilt crap.

One hopes the tripod mount is center-mounted (wtf Fuji?) and that the card slot is side entered (probably not, probably just sockets under a door).

Look at those enormous microphone slots next to the viewfinder.

Speaker on the left...should be on the back. The viewfinder is between the user and the microphone for playback.

Manual flash. Literally pull it up to use. Interesting choice. Saves on pointlessly spring loaded flashes I suppose, but I guess I still want one.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Wizardly said:
"It's so ugly." Huh??

It quite sensibly uses the space over the lens to store the flash. Thank goodness it doesn't have the "fake pentaprism" bulb on the top. Fuji and Sony put their viewfinder too close to the lens mount to use this space, and Olympus "glue a square to a triangle" is just idiotic.

The grip actually makes sense. Its almost like someone studied ergonomics. News flash camera makers, when the buttons are on top the fingers don't curl around the front of the camera, they angle forward. The major flaw I see here is the front control wheel (yay, it's continuous instead of recessed!) is too close to the grip.

AF assist lamp is on the left, where the fingers aren't. Camera makers get this wrong all the time.

Flash it out of the way of the hot shoe. I wonder if it's high enough to not be obscured by the fully-extended lens. Hopefully.

Locking mode dial. Nice.

Back is cramped. Small camera, but really cramped. Would have liked a levered drive ring under the mode dial.

One hopes the tripod mount is center-mounted (wtf Fuji?) and that the card slot is side entered (probably not, probably just sockets under a door).

Speaker on the left...should be on the back. The viewfinder is between the user and the microphone for playback.

Manual flash. Literally pull it up to use. Interesting choice. Saves on pointlessly spring loaded flashes I suppose, but I guess I still want one.

I agree with many of your points, esp the exp dial (on my Pen F it's my biggest gripe)

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
rrcphoto said:
...I'm continually amazed at how many think they know the camera industry to know if canon made a good / bad / indifferent camera.

+1.

I'm also amazed at how many are so quick to declare a camera that they never intended to buy in the first place a failure, simply because it doesn't meet their own personal preferences.

This isn't the camera for me. So what? There are plenty of other options out there and I presume that Canon is not in the business of making cameras that it can't sell.

Exactly, as this is a fixed lens camera, it's not even like you are tied in from a lens/accessories perspective. A compact camera is a perfect purchase where you can try any manufacturer you like.

Upvote 0
slclick said:
Wizardly said:
"It's so ugly." Huh??

Locking mode dial. Nice.

I agree with many of your points, esp the exp dial (on my Pen F it's my biggest gripe)

I agree as well, but damn, it's the ugliest camera I've seen in a long time ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I dont see why some find this "ugly". It's not to your taste perhaps but Canon making a modern version of their classic A1 and F1 (which I still own 35 years later) is what this looks like to me. I really like the body style and the camera specs overall. I just get nauseous at the price tag at this moment.

Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
PureClassA said:
I dont see why some find this "ugly". It's not to your taste perhaps but Canon making a modern version of their classic A1 and F1 (which I still own 35 years later) is what this looks like to me. I really like the body style and the camera specs overall. I just get nauseous at the price tag at this moment.

If the camera is rugged and sealed than the price - still high - can be somehow justified.
Anyway - the price should have been the least concern: the higher it starts the faster it falls.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
PureClassA said:

I find the entire "retro styling" design stuff totally absurd. One of the reasons other than price and no FF, that i totally ignore Fujifilm gear.

Why on earth should a digital camera in 2017 look like some mechanical camera from 50 years ago? The entire user interface that made sense back in the steampunk mech & film days and could not be implemented better back then - like mono-functional dials for shutter time, aperture rings, exposure comp, stop-down key etc. - has been replaced with way superior possibilities. Freely assignable, multi-functional dials, wheels, controllers, joysticks, buttons plus a large touchscreen LCD and clear menu system [Canon! not Sony!].

I would like to get a camera that is "100% solid state inside" with a user interface befitting the 21st century.

For example, instead of stupid "dumb" buttons/wheels and stupid shoulder LCDs that I never ever look at I'd rather like multi-functional dials with context-sensitive display, e.g. like this:
2e564e5c264932fb6d02644befc7325049791cef_l.jpg

For body styling I really liked the Panasonic Lumix L1 back in 2006. Something along those lines, but slimmer, with FF sensor inside, a fully articulated LCD in back, a well-chosen Canon EF-X mount up front and a built in pop-up EVF [like Sony RX1R II and some other RX cameras] would be totally my camera.
frontview.jpeg

Also, I only buy cameras in all black, preferably matte-black. Even in the analog manual days I did not like silber+black cameras and got me a Minolta XD-7 in chrome black instead. Not to speak of brown, white or hello-kitty-pink deviations from hell.

Of course looks are personal preference and YMMV. :)

Upvote 0
ablearcher said:
Talys said:
ablearcher said:
It is October 2017 and one will have a hard time finding a new TV on sale with 1080p resolution.

While 4k prices have certainly come down, this statement is just not true.

For me, it's more like... it's October 2017, and there still isn't enough 4k content that I'm interested in watching to make a 4k TV upgrade worthwhile. I have fiber to my home with available 4k, yet the only content is some sports stuff that I have no interest in, and House of Cards if I'm willing to pay more money each year.

Well, its been a while I saw a large screen on sale with 1080p. In any event, look me in the eye and tell me that you would consider buying a 1080p TV if you were buying a new TV today. As for the content - well this is why having a 4K camera is important for me, especially if I'm planning to take it along for travel. This is how you will CREATE the content for the new 4K screen. Also, quite a number of new movies are coming out in 4K discs these days. 1080p was fine but seriously - this is the past and not worth the investment at the moment. Just my opinion, of course.

I bought a tv a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't 4K, because I wanted a cheap option and there is essentially no 4K content available at present in the UK even now. No point spending more for something I'm not able to use. And shopping around, plenty of lower res tvs are still on sale, even "HD ready", which I think means 720p? Not everyone wants or needs the highest spec devices, or can even tell the difference.

And how many people buying a small compact camera are creating, or wanting to create 4K content - and how many are actually going to use their tv to enjoy it? I'd bet they are a tiny minority.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
AvTvM said:
Normalnorm said:

lef shutter - missed this . is it conformed in specs or you just assume because of G1X I and II ? What X-sync does it have?

I am assuming it is a leaf shutter as a FP shutter is needed for interchangeable lenses. They are bulkier, noisier and have limited sync so the leaf shutter would be the inexpensive way to implement a shutter.
The maximum sync would be the maximum speed of the shutter. I don't know what that amy be but as the max sync /shutter speed on the x-100F is 1/2000 sec I would bet on that.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
Normalnorm said:
AvTvM said:
Normalnorm said:

I am assuming it is a leaf shutter as a FP shutter is needed for interchangeable lenses. They are bulkier, noisier and have limited sync so the leaf shutter would be the inexpensive way to implement a shutter.
The maximum sync would be the maximum speed of the shutter. I don't know what that amy be but as the max sync /shutter speed on the x-100F is 1/2000 sec I would bet on that.

One needed FP shutter with film. In digicameras one could put a leaf shutter in every lens instead if one started from scratch.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
okaro said:
Normalnorm said:
AvTvM said:
Normalnorm said:

One needed FP shutter with film. In digicameras one could put a leaf shutter in every lens instead if one started from scratch.
Nope. FP shutters were created in the 19th century to achieve high speeds unavailable with competing in-lens shutters of the time.
Leitz used a FP shutter in its 35mm cameras to allow easy interchangeability of lenses and lower cost.
Flash sync was not an issue until the advent of electronic flash where the flash was so brief that it could only expose properly at speeds that did not use a traveling slit.

Leaf shutters were used in view camera lenses, simple cameras such as Brownie's and even enthusiast amateur cameras such as Yashica, Canon and Argus. Hasselblad and Rollei were premium cameras that used leaf shutters. While Rollei had fixed lenses in their Rolleiflexes, Hasselblad adopted leaf shutters in their classic 500C designs.

Digital has nothing to do with whether a camera will use a leaf or focal plane shutter. Lower cost, fixed lens cameras use leaf shutters while interchangeable lens cameras (with very few exceptions) use focal plane shutters.

Incorporating leaf shutters into each lens for an interchangeable lens system has a lot of drawbacks. The lenses are bulkier, more expensive and can have lens to lens speed variations. More importantly, if you have a shutter failure (and they do fail more frequently than FP shutters) you lose the use of a lens that may be critical on a job. Witha system using an focal plane shutter you just switch bodies.

Upvote 0
scyrene said:
ablearcher said:
Talys said:
ablearcher said:
It is October 2017 and one will have a hard time finding a new TV on sale with 1080p resolution.

While 4k prices have certainly come down, this statement is just not true.

For me, it's more like... it's October 2017, and there still isn't enough 4k content that I'm interested in watching to make a 4k TV upgrade worthwhile. I have fiber to my home with available 4k, yet the only content is some sports stuff that I have no interest in, and House of Cards if I'm willing to pay more money each year.

Well, its been a while I saw a large screen on sale with 1080p. In any event, look me in the eye and tell me that you would consider buying a 1080p TV if you were buying a new TV today. As for the content - well this is why having a 4K camera is important for me, especially if I'm planning to take it along for travel. This is how you will CREATE the content for the new 4K screen. Also, quite a number of new movies are coming out in 4K discs these days. 1080p was fine but seriously - this is the past and not worth the investment at the moment. Just my opinion, of course.

I bought a tv a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't 4K, because I wanted a cheap option and there is essentially no 4K content available at present in the UK even now. No point spending more for something I'm not able to use. And shopping around, plenty of lower res tvs are still on sale, even "HD ready", which I think means 720p? Not everyone wants or needs the highest spec devices, or can even tell the difference.

And how many people buying a small compact camera are creating, or wanting to create 4K content - and how many are actually going to use their tv to enjoy it? I'd bet they are a tiny minority.

I have bought a 40inch 4k TV 2.5 years ago, NOT to produce and see 4k content as primary application.
BUT
- to have a film like look because monitor pixels are not visible from a distance of 1.5m or more.
- to have a display to view my photos in a higher resolution (7Mpix in 3:2 format)
- to use it as a computer screen optionally (therefore the smaller 40inch chosen)

The difference in price was about 10% between 2k and 4k.

About video on photo oriented cameras: EOS 600D was quite good at producing 2k movies but after doing some
"technical" video with the 200D I see a strong improvement less in terms of usable resolution but in terms of
natural reproduction. It took ~8 years to mature 2k in these cameras.

Maybe it is the same with 4k on 4k oriented cameras: Current sensors / processors handle it
just but without any headroom - so compression and other types of data manipulation etc. are set to suboptimal values.

I would prefer very good 2k video over 4k AT THE MOMENT.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
Normalnorm said:
Nope. FP shutters were created in the 19th century to achieve high speeds unavailable with competing in-lens shutters of the time.
Leitz used a FP shutter in its 35mm cameras to allow easy interchangeability of lenses and lower cost.
Flash sync was not an issue until the advent of electronic flash where the flash was so brief that it could only expose properly at speeds that did not use a traveling slit.

Leaf shutters were used in view camera lenses, simple cameras such as Brownie's and even enthusiast amateur cameras such as Yashica, Canon and Argus. Hasselblad and Rollei were premium cameras that used leaf shutters. While Rollei had fixed lenses in their Rolleiflexes, Hasselblad adopted leaf shutters in their classic 500C designs.

Digital has nothing to do with whether a camera will use a leaf or focal plane shutter. Lower cost, fixed lens cameras use leaf shutters while interchangeable lens cameras (with very few exceptions) use focal plane shutters.

Incorporating leaf shutters into each lens for an interchangeable lens system has a lot of drawbacks. The lenses are bulkier, more expensive and can have lens to lens speed variations. More importantly, if you have a shutter failure (and they do fail more frequently than FP shutters) you lose the use of a lens that may be critical on a job. Witha system using an focal plane shutter you just switch bodies.

With film one has to protect the film while changing lenses. If one used leaf shutters one would have to have additional manual shutter to protect the film. With digital that is not a problem. On my EOS M the sensor is visible when I remove the lens.

"You just switch bodies". Most people have more lenses than bodies. If you have just one body, your system becomes in case until you buy a new one and it can take time if you do not have money. Using a lens just limits your options.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
leaf shutters vs. focal plane/curtain shutters ... the ultimate RETRO discussion. wake up, analogue steampunks! we live in 2017! time to finally get mechanics-free global electronic shutter im every camera (not in lens, of course). any X-Sync we want. 1/32.000 exposure time no problem. shutter life likely 100 Mio actuations, not 100.000. Silent image capture instead of motors whirring to cock shutters and springs cracking to move leaf or shutter blades! no oil splattering onto (Nikon) sensors any longer. no vibrations, no blur!

solid state rules supreme. i like! 8)

Upvote 0