In search of advice: RP better than the original 6D ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobby

M50ii 6D RP
Jul 23, 2017
Belgium
Currently I have a 90D and a 6D. My wife uses the 90D. I have my 6D since 2012 and I am very very pleased with it. Allways nice pictures. I love the colors. I am using it for travel or family pictures. No sports, perhaps sometimes tennis or dancing, that's all. Nothing very fast. And 20 Megapixels is enough for me. Everything just fine.
I do a little bit PaintShop Pro and Canon DPP, and than mostly on JPGs. We have very nice photo albums and photo memories!

The only thing lacklustering is perhaps the 6D 11-points-autofocus-system.
Most of the time I am focusing with the center point. And I do focus and recompose (on human eye).
But 30% of the time, my focus is not completely sharp. (And no, it's not my lens, it is me probably.)
Focus is not bad either, and hey, I am no photographer. (But I really try very hard to have good focus and it frustrates me.)

I was planning to buy an EF 16-35 F4 (920 Euros 21% taxes included in Belgium. 1 Euro = 1.19 $).
I can use that lens on both cameras.
There is now a good Canon Cashback (120 Euros) when I combine it with a NEW camera. So than the lens costs only 800 Euros.
And the Eos Rp is available at 1000 Euros (21% taxes included).
That's perhaps a bargain? A cheap RP combined with the good EF 16-35 F4 and than also a nice cashback.

Total price RP+EF-cashback = 1800 Euro tax incl. (= approximately 1770 US $ tax excl to have some comparison)

And now comes my question. Would the RP be (much) better in Autofocus than the 6D? And for a little bit faster action?
- It is mirrorless: it introduces me in the new world
- I can try an RF 35 1.8 STM or the RF 85 2.0 STM
- I can learn some new things
- I can dream of expensive lenses... (And I know the R6 is better, but no way I will pay those prices.)

So in one sentence: Is the RP a good upgrade over the original 6D ? (I am thinking of autofocus. Given the fact that the image quality will be the same probably. I did already see a lot of reviews on YouTube.)

Or should I wait for a new R-entry-level-camera (higher price) and buy the lens (without cashback).

PCM-madison

CR Pro
Dec 9, 2013
I used to have a 6D, and I liked it a lot. I am also an RP owner and like it too. I did not take a linear upgrade path from 6D to RP. I got a 5Ds R and just stopped using the 6D because the 5Ds R is so much better in multiple ways. I ended up selling my 6D and then realizing that for travel the 5Ds R is bulkier and heavier than I prefer unless it is a very photography focused trip. That led me to the RP which is very satisfying as a travel camera. The RP focus is better and more flexible than the 6D (focus area, ability to autofocus to F11, focus accuracy). The RP is smaller and lighter than the 6D which is great for travel. I am mainly interested in stills, but the ability of the RP to take 4K video is something I occasionally use for challenging subjects because you can often get a respectable 8MP still photo from a video that would be otherwise hard to get. In favor of the 6D, I do prefer an optical viewfinder.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

st jack photography

..a shuttered lens, backwards viewing backwards..
I started with a 5D classic. Then I went to 6D. I loved the 6d.
As my business took off, I bought a 5dm3 for a few months, didn't like it, and then I bought the 5DSr.
Then I got a RP because I wanted full AF on the whole image, in a cheap camera I could take out on the street and not worry about theft. I held onto the 6D as a studio backup and in case the RP was a dud. Also, the 6D had a superfocus matte screen for my fast lenses, and I hated to ditch that. I shoot a lot of wide open shots.
I used the RP for ONE DAY and that was all it took to sell the 6D. The AF alone is 20 times the camera a 6D was. The options are staggering in such a cheap camera. I have my AF set up to one shot, and I take over manual focus then, and IT HAS FOCUS PEAKING ON as soon as you go to manual. THAT IS BREATHTAKING!!! If I want to stay in AF, I also have a button that instantly puts the AF square right in the middle of the screen. I use this a lot and 6D doesn't have it. There are other features I use on the Rp that 6D doesn't have, like the new Fv mode, or the touch screen that lets you reset the focal point and move it around while you also use the viewfinder.
The Rp has the same colors and look as the 6D, with greater shadow control.

While I do use my EF lenses on the RP, and they work great, I will be phasing them out mainly because I love the new control rings and only RF lenses have the focus peaking mode for one-shot, the EF don't as far as I know. Lenses like the RF 85 f2 macro are just amazing to me, a massive step up from my once-beloved EF 85mm f1.8 USM.
The last lens I bought was a 16-35 EF F4 L IS, because out of all the wide EF zooms, it fit my needs most, despite the slower speed. It works great on my RP.

Viewfinder: I do not prefer the 6d VF, but I miss my premium focus screen which would give accurate DOF up to f1 instead of the generic f2.8 other viewfinders give. While my M3, m5, and m6 had awful VF, and my expensive Sony RX1Rm2 had an awful VF, the RP VF works great for me, and doesn't feel like I am watching a slow live feed like the other cameras I had did. This is maybe because of the 120 refresh.

Later Edit: Oh, my final advice is go for the RP and a recent EF lens (with 9 curved aperture blades), like the wonderful 16-35 f4 L IS. I bought the control ring adapter, but the $99 ring works good too. Do not get a generic adapter ring. My RP also came with an extension grip, which I do use sometimes when I have a bigger EF lens attached and need extra grip for my pinky. The grip helps with fatigue in the field, without adding much weight or bulk.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
Currently I have a 90D and a 6D. My wife uses the 90D. I have my 6D since 2012 and I am very very pleased with it. Allways nice pictures. I love the colors. I am using it for travel or family pictures. No sports, perhaps sometimes tennis or dancing, that's all. Nothing very fast. And 20 Megapixels is enough for me. Everything just fine.
I do a little bit PaintShop Pro and Canon DPP, and than mostly on JPGs. We have very nice photo albums and photo memories!

The only thing lacklustering is perhaps the 6D 11-points-autofocus-system.
Most of the time I am focusing with the center point. And I do focus and recompose (on human eye).
But 30% of the time, my focus is not completely sharp. (And no, it's not my lens, it is me probably.)
Focus is not bad either, and hey, I am no photographer. (But I really try very hard to have good focus and it frustrates me.)

I was planning to buy an EF 16-35 F4 (920 Euros 21% taxes included in Belgium. 1 Euro = 1.19 $).
I can use that lens on both cameras.
There is now a good Canon Cashback (120 Euros) when I combine it with a NEW camera. So than the lens costs only 800 Euros.
And the Eos Rp is available at 1000 Euros (21% taxes included).
That's perhaps a bargain? A cheap RP combined with the good EF 16-35 F4 and than also a nice cashback.

Total price RP+EF-cashback = 1800 Euro tax incl. (= approximately 1770 US $ tax excl to have some comparison)

And now comes my question. Would the RP be (much) better in Autofocus than the 6D? And for a little bit faster action?
- It is mirrorless: it introduces me in the new world
- I can try an RF 35 1.8 STM or the RF 85 2.0 STM
- I can learn some new things
- I can dream of expensive lenses... (And I know the R6 is better, but no way I will pay those prices.)

So in one sentence: Is the RP a good upgrade over the original 6D ? (I am thinking of autofocus. Given the fact that the image quality will be the same probably. I did already see a lot of reviews on YouTube.)

Or should I wait for a new R-entry-level-camera (higher price) and buy the lens (without cashback).
Might also want to consider the $1499 5DsR backorder at B&H (they are still filling them). That's what I replaced my 6D with. Not mirrorless, but it's 51mp with the 5D3 AF. Do you really need mirrorless and the associated high costs?

Edit I just noticed the OP is like 6 months old lol

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.