Industry News: Here are the first press images of the Nikon Z6 & Z7 full frame mirrorless cameras

bod

CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
Whilst it is hard to judge how well the grip and ergonomics will work without the body in hand the scale of the grip looks good to me. I hired the M5 recently to try out the EVF and was pleased with the operation of both the EVF and the camera but found not surprisingly that the grip was on the small side (for my hands) when holding the camera for long periods (3-4 hours) with medium telephoto EF lenses attached such as the 180L or 70-200 f4 whilst hiking in the mountains. I am hoping that Canon will produce some mirrorless bodies with larger grips therefore. Whilst I don't intend to jump ship to Nikon this looks like a good first offering by them of FF mirrorless and lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
It looks like it might suffer the same height issue (for me) as Sony, where it isn't tall enough for my pinky without a grip. For better or worse, the camera looks an awful lot like a Sony: the buttons, dials, flipout LCD, even the approximate dimensions look very similar to A7/A9. Sadly for me, this is not a layout I'm overly fond of. On the bright side, at least it doesn't look like they went for a new whiz-bank flash shoe that has a zillion fragile pins.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
This camera looks like the wet dream of everyone who's waiting for a Canon mirrorless.
I bet if Canon ever comes up with something, it will have something missing like either no fully articulating screen or no touchscreen or whatever. So they can bring something better 2 years later and so they don't cannibalize their DSLR sales.

M50 already has a fully articulating screen, though, and I have to say, after using a flipout screen, I really miss the fully articulating. It is extremely useful to for me to be able to use the screen as a mirror, when it's rotated to face forward -- it's just much easier to position stuff.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
I note the very short flange distance - see the focal plane indicator just in front of the thumb wheel. The focal plane indicator on my 6D is about 1cm from the back of the body; that on the new NIkons seems to be about 2cm.
And the (probably empty) tubes at the base of the lenses. The 35/1.8 seems quite a bit longer than my 35/2 IS.
This suggests to me that the volume (lxhxd) of the new Nikons with 35/1.8 is probably similar to my 6D with 35/2.
In other words, there is little gain in reduced size for "normal" lenses.
I wonder if Canon goes for the existing EF mount and uses wide angle lens with lens elements that go inside the camera body.

Upvote 0

using existing optical formulas and adapting the body to the new flange distance makes the most sense from production and r&d costs point of view
sony did it with their first lenses: 28-70 and 50 1.8
makes sense that if canon adopt a new mount to do the same.
in the future when optical formulas will be adapted we will see smaller lenses

Upvote 0
This camera looks like the wet dream of everyone who's waiting for a Canon mirrorless.
I bet if Canon ever comes up with something, it will have something missing like either no fully articulating screen or no touchscreen or whatever. So they can bring something better 2 years later and so they don't cannibalize their DSLR sales.
If number of Google searches is an indication, something is cannibalizing the interest in Canon DSLRs already...
https://www.eoshd.com/2018/08/googl...-camera-peaks-mirrorless-cameras-on-the-rise/

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I don't see a motor drive or aperture lever in the adapter, I think that one is still needed for the tons of "D" lenses with motor drives. If Nikon abandons them, I think that they will lose some customers. Perhaps a adapter is coming for the older lenses later.

Remember the last promo video where the guy said 'I can still use al my lenses'? He said he could use them, he didn't say he had autofocus with them :)

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Upvote 0
This is very exciting for the industry: looks serious, yes has flaws (i.e. Nikkor "compatibility"), but this system will put pressure on manufacturers to take this segment to its limits. ...Leica SL was once an outlier (form- and function-wise), but this Nikon product looks like it brings the SL closer to the mainstream, and hopefully (!) Canon will be placing their new system in between the SL and Nikon Z system.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
No rear dial? What seems to be fewer buttons/dials in a smaller area - this one shows it to be slightly larger than the Sony and comparable to the GH5/EM1.

http://www.nikoneye.com/nikon-z-ver...versus-canon-camera-comparison/#disqus_thread

It looks like it may have the same grip-lens issue as Sony, especially with the larger mount diameter, but if carefully crafted it maybe OK
I think it will be interesting to hear hands-on reviews.

Upvote 0
I note the very short flange distance - see the focal plane indicator just in front of the thumb wheel. The focal plane indicator on my 6D is about 1cm from the back of the body; that on the new NIkons seems to be about 2cm.
And the (probably empty) tubes at the base of the lenses. The 35/1.8 seems quite a bit longer than my 35/2 IS.
This suggests to me that the volume (lxhxd) of the new Nikons with 35/1.8 is probably similar to my 6D with 35/2.
I wonder if Canon goes for the existing EF mount and uses wide angle lens with lens elements that go inside the camera body.

I think the optical formula patents for several Nikon Z-mount lenses specified a 16mm flange distance, which puts it 2mm shorter than Sony's. And it would be really cool if Canon used the existing EF mount and designed their mirrorless lenses to be recessed into the body - that would actually make the lens's physical dimensions appear smaller when attached to the camera unlike Sony and Nikon. It would also provide a better balance of weight distribution and long-term use ergonomics.

Upvote 0
No rear dial? What seems to be fewer buttons/dials in a smaller area - this one shows it to be slightly larger than the Sony and comparable to the GH5/EM1.

http://www.nikoneye.com/nikon-z-ver...versus-canon-camera-comparison/#disqus_thread

It looks like it may have the same grip-lens issue as Sony, especially with the larger mount diameter, but if carefully crafted it maybe OK
I think it will be interesting to hear hands-on reviews.

Looking at this overlay I think the fingers being tight between the grip and lens will be much improved over the Sony. With my A9 my fingers don't touch the 100-400GM lens but I have fairly skinny fingers. The main dimension that is different is the width and in this overlay you can see that it allows more room between grip and mount. I think this will make it much more comfortable than the Sony for most people. The issue for me with my A9 is the vertical length of the grip and having an unsupported pinky if no grip (having a plate on helps also but grip needed for long lens comfort). It doesn't look like the Nikon will improve much on that.

I really like what I'm seeing with this camera but unfortunately I don't have much hope that it will have an A9 EVF or AF experience and therefore will probably be a no go for me. I don't expect Canon to challenge the A9 segment either. But that is okay for now as it will allow me to save cash for the Sony 400GM......:p

Attachments

• Nikon-Z-vs-Sony-A7RIII2.jpg
    Nikon-Z-vs-Sony-A7RIII2.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 250
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
The EVF looks as though it could be removable. There is a protrusion on the right side that could be a release button? If removable, it opens the possibility for a better version being introduced at a later date.

I think that's just the dioptre adjustment.
The little button on the other side intrigues me though. I don't know Nikon cameras, anyone know what that symbol is? (it's not the focal plain marker)

Upvote 0