Industry News: Leica officially announces the Leica M11

Congratulations to Leica's video team for creating the ultimate cure for insomnia.

To my sensibility, the unshaven old host reading note cards is about all you need to see: this is your grandfather's camera. A camera reborn of its own corpse like Colin Robinson, something to laugh at before changing the channel. If you want a landscape 35mm camera exclusively, and money is no matter but status totems are, perhaps this is for you as I have no doubt it will capture wonderful images and even more wonderful bragging opportunities. Many of us moved past this long ago.

If Leica gifted me a kit, I'd sell it, buy an R3, and use the difference to cover the taxes.
Photography is a creative endeavor. Some like barebones some like to indulge. I don't own a Leica and likely never will, but if that is what makes you want to go photograph I am all for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Congratulations to Leica's video team for creating the ultimate cure for insomnia.

To my sensibility, the unshaven old host reading note cards is about all you need to see: this is your grandfather's camera. A camera reborn of its own corpse like Colin Robinson, something to laugh at before changing the channel. If you want a landscape 35mm camera exclusively, and money is no matter but status totems are, perhaps this is for you as I have no doubt it will capture wonderful images and even more wonderful bragging opportunities. Many of us moved past this long ago.

If Leica gifted me a kit, I'd sell it, buy an R3, and use the difference to cover the taxes.
Traditional Leica hater's commonplace criticism.
We all know by now that Leica users are stupid bragging rich fools.
Thanks for these fascinating insights!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Be fair - they often use only 2 from "stupid bragging rich fools"
I suppose there are some out there that use Leica as a status symbol.
I doubt that is the majority. To people that have enough disposable cash, they don't really need status symbols like a camera....to those type folks this is pocket change.

I'm not rich, but, but right now with no kids (that I know of)...and not having to deal with WAF on anything, I have disposable income.

I bought the M10M...because I was very facilitated with shooting digital without the color array and the images it produces with increased low light performance and the better graduations of luminance that you really can't seem to get out of a regular color digital camera.

It has been a life changer for my photography, I'm learning now, how to try to "see" scenes in shades of luminance, without color and its really fascinating. I'm often finding that images that would be boring in color, can be fascinating in B&W. And I dunno what the deal is, but many times, my M10M images seem to have almost a medium format look to them.
I have a medium format digital and it's strange how a full frame camera seems to have that look some times.

I don't need status symbols. In fact, one of the reasons I bought the M10M, is because it has no red dot...no perceptible branding at all. Likely as not, most people that see me out, thing I'm carrying some old fashioned point and shoot.

I did actually get a deal on a Leica film camera the MA....I also was only swayed to buy it because I could get the black version with no branding that shows up on it.

I like the rangefinder experience, it is unusual. I enjoy being able to learn to zone focus.....when out and about, I use the sunny 16 rule, and pre-focus my lens for a range and when I see something, I can just pull it up quickly, compose and activate the shutter. I'd dare say this is faster than an AF camera.

The size is fun...I find myself more and more carrying this on casual outings because it is so handy.

And this was my first mirrorless....so, with the M10M, I discovered adapting lenses....this has REALLY proved fun. Old vintage ones are fun...I have a few Russian lenses with their swirly bokeh, and I have been experimenting with the Trioplan 100mm lens and its distinctive bubble bokeh.....I'm even playing with adapting old Nikon and Canon glass that is really great, but pre-AF and adaptable.

So, for me at least, these are some of the experience parts I enjoy. In many ways, part of it is stepping back and seeing how folks shot cameras for decades back before digital....some of the photographic skills of the past are lost on those that only shoot digital...and I'm discovering some of those.

Is this for everyone? Of course not.

Every tool for the job, or toy for those interested.

It's looking like I'll be shooting the large Jazzfest Festival this spring in New Orleans...will I take a rangefinder with me? No...not the right tool for the job.
I'm taking my trusty 5D3....and this time I think I'll just hang the 70-200 f/2,8 off is and using a holdfast harness, this year I think I'll hang my GFX100 on the other side, for wider shots...and be able to use its large image to be able to crop in as I wish.

Tool for the job.

And lastly, I guess I've just never understood people that seem to have to go off on someone else's choice/ability to buy $$$ things. Is it jealousy? Maybe, I don't understand it.
What someone else owns has no effect on me. I'm happy for anyone that is successful, but I"m too busy trying to get success myself to bother much noticing their toys or being angry they have them, whether they think of them as status symbols or not.

For some reasons there are people that just always talk about penis size issues or something or other when they hear Leica....I guess these are the same people that get their panties in a wad when someone drives by in a Corvette, a Viper or a Porsche.

Of course no one "needs" these things...but life isn't about just needs. Life is short...enjoy the things you have and don't be too bothered about what other nice things other people have.

C

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
The monochrome cameras are the only Leicas that have tempted me. I trust the reasons are obvious. Were I to spend thousands of dollars on photo equipment right now, that would not be my priority. But if I were rich and bored and already had medium format equipment, I’d definitely go for one.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
With that definition none of the latest Canon cameras got "real" RAW. As example 1DMK3, R5 and R6 all applies noice reduction to the data at lower ISOs before creating the RAW file. R3 does the same but on all ISOs. Some cameras do more than others before creating the RAW file, but it's still as raw as you can get the data out from the camera.
There are at least a half dozen approaches to RAW. All are processed somewhat, and all have some amount of noise reduction applied, whether its called that or not. Sony 45mp raw files are 60-80gb, Canons are 45-50, i don't know what Nikon is. CRAW is a canon profile that is RAW, but doesn't have all the data. But except in rare cases no difference can be detected in post processing. Image quality from all mfgs is about equal, though each with its own 'flavor'.

So bottom line, RAW is RAW, but not all RAWs are the same. In other words, functionally the difference is minimal, or non-existent, so no need to worry about having 'all' the capture data un touched. You've got everything you need, no matter which MFG.

Side note, it would be academically interesting to know how Leica are making the smaller res files from the same sensor. Also, I'll be sure to use this camera as an example of why the R1 is a good deal when the time comes to get my wife on board.

Brian

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
I bought the M10M...because I was very facilitated with shooting digital without the color array and the images it produces with increased low light performance and the better graduations of luminance that you really can't seem to get out of a regular color digital camera.

It has been a life changer for my photography, I'm learning now, how to try to "see" scenes in shades of luminance, without color and its really fascinating. I'm often finding that images that would be boring in color, can be fascinating in B&W. And I dunno what the deal is, but many times, my M10M images seem to have almost a medium format look to them.

I like the rangefinder experience, it is unusual. I enjoy being able to learn to zone focus.....when out and about, I use the sunny 16 rule, and pre-focus my lens for a range and when I see something, I can just pull it up quickly, compose and activate the shutter. I'd dare say this is faster than an AF camera.
No Bayer pattern, No low pass filter. No demosacing. That is what make the M10M much sharper and almost comparable to MF. Try to get hold of an OLD Hector 135 mm Leica lens ( should be relatively cheap). You will really see the "glow" of black and white. It is a lens with no coating.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
Traditional Leica hater's commonplace criticism.
We all know by now that Leica users are stupid bragging rich fools.
Thanks for these fascinating insights!
The Leica cameras are wonderful, the lenses incredibly sharp, the fit-and-finish elegant and refined, and I certainly don't hate them. But the problem is that cameras are mere tools, and these tools offer low feature sets at extremely high prices which at best is impractical for a typical photographer.

The advertising targets the primary intended market. It is interesting to contrast their video with those from Canon, Nikon and Sony. While the latter companies tout new features and application areas, the Leica ad is pure fluff, droning on about irrelevancies. One is no more informed about why one should buy an M11 after watching than before. Compare this with the intro for the R3, clocking in at 2'50" and crammed with everything to whet the appetite of an amateur or pro: Canon EOS R3 - Introduction.

Even if one made a grand assumption that an M11 takes slightly better features than an R3, I still wouldn't have a use case for it. Macro, wildlife, architectural? The R3 wins hands down, and so would an R5, and R6 and so on. And if I wanted to splurge for a better landscape camera there's always a Fuji GFX 100.

What several respondents assume is that I must be some sort of Leica hater, or that I'm bashing Leica users. No, I'm bashing Leica for producing yet another camera that no one needs, except perhaps as a status totem, and then advertising it as such. I don't want a $10k camera to put in a glass case in my living room to show off, I want a tool that allows me to do the most possible at the best price. I've shot primarily Canon for more than 30 years because this is exactly what the brand consistently offers. I've migrated from a 110 rangefinder to an Argus rangefinder through film, digital and probably soon to mirrorless because the increase in capabilities allowed me to do more as I grew. I find it silly that immature photographers credit the camera with so much, when top professionals can get more from an iPhone than they can from an R5. An M11 doesn't take great pictures--YOU DO, or YOU DON'T. Learn a tool, and when you outgrow it get a better one.

• Haha
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Just came across this very nice article about Leitz https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/feb/10/secondworldwar.germany When Hitler came to power, Leitz used his Leica factory and its distribution network to get his Jewish employees out of Germany. He purposely took on a string of Jewish apprentices and trained them so that he could transfer them to New York to work in the Leica showroom on Fifth Avenue or at distributors across the US. He kept quiet about it, and it was only after his death that the extent of his humanitarian work came to light.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
The Leica cameras are wonderful, the lenses incredibly sharp, the fit-and-finish elegant and refined, and I certainly don't hate them. But the problem is that cameras are mere tools, and these tools offer low feature sets at extremely high prices which at best is impractical for a typical photographer.

The advertising targets the primary intended market. It is interesting to contrast their video with those from Canon, Nikon and Sony. While the latter companies tout new features and application areas, the Leica ad is pure fluff, droning on about irrelevancies. One is no more informed about why one should buy an M11 after watching than before. Compare this with the intro for the R3, clocking in at 2'50" and crammed with everything to whet the appetite of an amateur or pro: Canon EOS R3 - Introduction.

Even if one made a grand assumption that an M11 takes slightly better features than an R3, I still wouldn't have a use case for it. Macro, wildlife, architectural? The R3 wins hands down, and so would an R5, and R6 and so on. And if I wanted to splurge for a better landscape camera there's always a Fuji GFX 100.

What several respondents assume is that I must be some sort of Leica hater, or that I'm bashing Leica users. No, I'm bashing Leica for producing yet another camera that no one needs, except perhaps as a status totem, and then advertising it as such. I don't want a $10k camera to put in a glass case in my living room to show off, I want a tool that allows me to do the most possible at the best price. I've shot primarily Canon for more than 30 years because this is exactly what the brand consistently offers. I've migrated from a 110 rangefinder to an Argus rangefinder through film, digital and probably soon to mirrorless because the increase in capabilities allowed me to do more as I grew. I find it silly that immature photographers credit the camera with so much, when top professionals can get more from an iPhone than they can from an R5. An M11 doesn't take great pictures--YOU DO, or YOU DON'T. Learn a tool, and when you outgrow it get a better one.
Sorry, but you just keep repeating the same worn cliches: "status totem", "glass case camera", "immature photographers" "no one needs"etc...
If you believe only CaNISoFu produce "real" cameras for "real photographers", you are fully entitled to your opinion.
But criticizing a rangefinder camera because you can't use it for macro and tele shots shows you just don't understand it.
I, for myself, am using Eos AND your hated Leica M. Different uses for different cameras.
Just the opinion of an "immature photographer"... who loves and uses his Leicas.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I get that it looks great, and there is always a psychological sense of enjoying more using something which is well crafted and beautiful.
I wouldn't dream of using a Leica M11 as my *only* camera, as it's entirely unsuitable for wildlife photography.

But you've just summed up the reasons why I'd love to own an M11 - the sheer pleasure of handling and operating a camera of superlative build quality, and attempting to justify the extravagance by producing beautiful photographs. It's overpriced of course, and unfortunately way beyond my budget.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
(heading to the Haberdasher for my ascot as we speak...that I can afford)

fwiw, as Canon and competitors cameras formerly never came close to the cost of Leicas, that chasm is rapidly shrinking.

I also have found that generally speaking, those without hands on experience with Leicas, especially the newest M series enjoy a good razzing of the brand and it's stereotypical buyers and those with time spent with one in hand truly appreciate the camera and like Cayenne, can verbalize the shooting experience and imho, make the comedic genius non users come across as sophomoric. My late Father in Law had one and even with his middling amount of technique and experience, his images were stellar. Just imagine what I could have created with a proper bequeathing. Lol.
When I bought my Leica M4 in 1968. It was only $15 more than a Nikon F.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
I am a grandfather now but I was in my teens when I got my M-4 used. Even then it was not cutting edge as it had no meter. I was still the very cool kid with a Leica.
Leica M series are just a delight to handle. The carping about price and specs is always beside the point.
Just as people buy a two door sports car for the fun of it, so too would I buy another M.
I no longer shoot mad frame rates as I am not shooting for money any more. I shoot for fun.
I don't need AF or IBIS or any other stuff. I do think that 60MP is beyond anything I need as I would have to schlep a tripod around to ensure sharpness commensurate with the sensor and lens. 24MP sounds about right though.

My granddaughter moves fast and I can keep up with her with my phone.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I am a grandfather now but I was in my teens when I got my M-4 used. Even then it was not cutting edge as it had no meter. I was still the very cool kid with a Leica.
Leica M series are just a delight to handle. The carping about price and specs is always beside the point.
Just as people buy a two door sports car for the fun of it, so too would I buy another M.
I no longer shoot mad frame rates as I am not shooting for money any more. I shoot for fun.
I don't need AF or IBIS or any other stuff. I do think that 60MP is beyond anything I need as I would have to schlep a tripod around to ensure sharpness commensurate with the sensor and lens. 24MP sounds about right though.

My granddaughter moves fast and I can keep up with her with my phone.
Neither I would need 60MP.
But the new Apo Summicrons exceed the possibilities of the former sensors, these lenses are killers...
Heaviest cropping possible!
And you are right, what many don't understand, is the pleasure to use a beautiful camera, beyond any "objective" cost-features considerations.
After M2, M3, M5, CL, SL, SL2, R4s2, R6, R7, IIIA and IIIG models, I'd just hate to use "only" reasonable cameras.
Are they worth their price? In my opinion definitely: are there any better WA or standard lenses around?
And I just love the rangefinder!
Yet, for macros, teles (wildlife): Canon's MILCs and ILC's and their great zooms and teles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
Neither I would need 60MP.
But the new Apo Summicrons exceed the possibilities of the former sensors, these lenses are killers...
Heaviest cropping possible!
And you are right, what many don't understand, is the pleasure to use a beautiful camera, beyond any "objective" cost-features considerations.
After M2, M3, M5, CL, SL, SL2, R4s2, R6, R7, IIIA and IIIG models, I'd just hate to use "only" reasonable cameras.
Are they worth their price? In my opinion definitely: are there any better WA or standard lenses around?
And I just love the rangefinder!
Yet, for macros, teles (wildlife): Canon's MILCs and ILC's and their great zooms and teles.
Here we are SL & SL2 :) CRF-1-37.jpg

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
These are beauties!
My favorite one is the SL !
By the way, I replaced the microprism focusing screens on mine with full matte ones, a rather easy operation with the "appropriate" tools.
Spares were till a few years ago still sold by Solms or Wetzlar.
The most difficult task was the removal of the bottom plate (unscrew the normal little screws PLUS unscrewing counterclockwise the tripod thread). Easy if you know it...it took me half a day to get it.:rolleyes:
PS: Leica's website says the M11 has a DR of 15 EV !

Last edited:
Upvote 0