Industry News: Major Nikon announcements are happening tonight

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
But these items have been know for awhile and Canon already announced the D6 competitor anyways.
More excited to see what Canon tells us about R5 this week. No leaks via Nokishita tell me it won’t be a full announcement like the RF 24-105 and new Rebel will be.

Yes, agree. Too little details from R5. Appears to become a development announcement maybe with some teaser photo from a mockup.

But what I am even more worried: Where are these one-of-kind RF lenses like RF 14-28 f/2 or RF 24 f/1.2 ?
Does not appear that any of these will be announced either. Looks like those and other high-end lenses will be launched not before fall ...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Less noise at the pixel level before CPU means less physical pixel noise before processing.
Noise reduction by CPU is just the second step, most likely applied to jpegs/video. Raw files will hopefully benefit from the first step before CPU.

I don't think Canon and Nikon made a deal with the devil to defeat physics. For example, Canon's claim about the 1 stop improvement in the 1DX III vs the 1DX II seems to come down mostly to clever processesing and will likely be less significant if RAW files are edited on a PC:

"• New 20.1MP, Canon CMOS sensor
As mentioned above, new sensor architecture attacks high-ISO noise at the pixel level, meaning less noise before brightness signals ever reach the primary processor.
• New DIGIC X processor
Faster processing, handling even more noise-reduction calculations and algorithms for every still image processed in-camera…this applies to video, as well. The advanced noise reduction processing at the sensor is especially effective at the default ISO range, which again extends to ISO 102,400."

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
Its good to hear about what the industry is doing. Being here I obviously have my favourite but I personally enjoy all things photography regardless of brand. I’m currently extremely happy being a Sony and Canon user and was also a happy Nikon user too (through work) 10 years ago.
Exactly. I think a lot of people here are interested in news from across the photographic landscape.

But we are MOST interested in the release date, price and DR of the R5 lol...

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Yes, agree. Too little details from R5. Appears to become a development announcement maybe with some teaser photo from a mockup.

So the promised exciting year for Canon shooters will be just that literally? Experience excitement without the desired gear released? :(

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
Isn't Nikon really slow in the mirrorless market?! It seems to me.... slow releases etc.

Are they slow in announcing?
I think their lenses are slow: No fast F/1.2 primes (except for Noct F/0.95) or F/2 zooms in the Z system. While good optical quality, their lenses are uninspiring and don't seem to have an advantage over their DSLR lenses.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
I don't think Canon and Nikon made a deal with the devil to defeat physics. For example, Canon's claim about the 1 stop improvement in the 1DX III vs the 1DX II seems to come down mostly to clever processesing and will likely be less significant if RAW files are edited on a PC:

"• New 20.1MP, Canon CMOS sensor
As mentioned above, new sensor architecture attacks high-ISO noise at the pixel level, meaning less noise before brightness signals ever reach the primary processor.
• New DIGIC X processor
Faster processing, handling even more noise-reduction calculations and algorithms for every still image processed in-camera…this applies to video, as well. The advanced noise reduction processing at the sensor is especially effective at the default ISO range, which again extends to ISO 102,400."

Quote from the white paper page 42.

Dynamic range at higher ISOs can still be enhanced though, I'm curious what we'll see there from both Canon and Nikon.

Yeah, huge question mark: Did Canon catch up on sensor technology technology? While they might have large improvement, I doubt they can catch up without BSI.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Can't you just sense the pent up ... whatever it is that we collectively are exhibiting! It reminds me of when I was awaiting the final details of the 7D2 to almost certainly purchase it - but I didn't, and am not sorry (not knocking that camera, though).

Jack
I joined CR to find out when the 7DII would be released and waited expectantly for 2 years. You missed out as it was a great camera for its time and still not bad today. I recall you bought a used 1DIV instead.

Upvote 0
Yeah, huge question mark: Did Canon catch up on sensor technology technology? While they might have large improvement, I doubt they can catch up without BSI.
BSI doesnt offer much improvement to DSLR's, especially when they are equipped with sensors with large photosites.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nothing at all to make me regret dropping Nikon for Canon late last year...

You may have already written this on this forum, but I am curious: What do you like about Canon more than Nikon? I have never used Nikon DSLRs, but I know that some people consider the D850 to be the greatest DSLR ever made. I am curious to hear from someone who has recent experience with both systems.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
Key specifications for the Nikon D6

* 20.8 megapixel full frame sensor
* ISO 100-102400, expandable to 3.2 million
* 14 fps with full AE/AF, 10.5 FPS with silent shutter in live view
* 105-point AF system, -4.5 EV minimum for center point
* Dual CFexpress
* 4Kp30 video
* Built-in Ethernet, Wifi, GPS
* MSRP $6,499, release in April 2020

At least one the spec sheet, it looks like Canon put out a stronger camera, with higher fps (especially in Live View) and much better video capabilities for the same price.

Upvote 0
Key specifications for the Nikon D6

* 20.8 megapixel full frame sensor
* ISO 100-102400, expandable to 3.2 million
* 14 fps with full AE/AF, 10.5 FPS with silent shutter in live view
* 105-point AF system, -4.5 EV minimum for center point
* Dual CFexpress
* 4Kp30 video
* Built-in Ethernet, Wifi, GPS
* MSRP $6,499, release in April 2020

At least one the spec sheet, it looks like Canon put out a stronger camera, with higher fps (especially in Live View) and much better video capabilities for the same price.

seems like nikon flopped hard. Announced before hand and still doesn't have matching or better than canon? :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0