Industry News: Rumored specs for the Sony FX3 are here, it’s an A7S III on steroids

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
More specifications for the upcoming Sony FX3 cinema alpha series mirrorless camera and they’ve evolved a bit since the original reports. Gaston Shutters is pretty confident on his YouTube channel that the following specifications are the real deal.
Sony FX3 Rumored Specifications:

12MP Full-Frame sensor
No ND
Shoots Stills as well
IBIS with active mode
Same Codecs as the A7S III
No RAW video
The top handle will have two XLR ports and a 3.5mm jack
Same NPFZ 100 battery as the A7S III
Price is €3795
CFExpress Slots
Records 4k/120p
Preorders begin on February 23, 2021

Sony and Canon definitely see the market differently, as their offers seem to be quite different from one another. This Sony FX3 looks quite compelling for a lot of people, and we’ll see whether people go with this camera or an A7S III in the coming months.
Wouldn’t it be cool if Canon did an EOS R6c? One can dream.

Continue reading...

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I figured A7S III on steroids meant "like an A7S III only more so" yet they didn't cut the resolution any further.
How could they, without sacrificing 4K (8.3 MP)? Creating a different version of a sensor you're already producing just to chop off a bit from the top and bottom doesn't sound all that economical either.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
How could they, without sacrificing 4K (8.3 MP)? Creating a different version of a sensor you're already producing just to chop off a bit from the top and bottom doesn't sound all that economical either.

But the additional limitation would be a bonus, from their point of view.

In all seriousness if they really wanted to chop off the top and bottom, the payback might come in more sensors per wafer.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
At that price point, seems R5 is a much better option except for those needing no record time limit. Curious about boxy upcoming C50, which might cater more to indie filmmaker practically.
Well how many people are shooting >30 minutes internally? At which point the R5 runs 'unlimited' to an Atomos or the like.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maps

EOS M7 (please)
Jan 10, 2021
Am I missing something? Those specs are almost identical to the a7s3. What does this offer that the a7s3 doesn’t have? Same sensor, same 4K/120, same IBIS, same battery, etc. What makes this camera seem like it’s on steroids? Just the size?
I keep hearing “What is the point of this camera when the A7SIII already exists” but I think for me the question is more “Why did they even bother releasing an A7SIII in the first place if this was in the pipeline?”. I’m sure there are good reasons for it, I just genuinely don’t know what they are.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I keep hearing “What is the point of this camera when the A7SIII already exists” but I think for me the question is more “Why did they even bother releasing an A7SIII in the first place if this was in the pipeline?”. I’m sure there are good reasons for it, I just genuinely don’t know what they are.

Trying to steal Canon's thunder with that pipsqueak camera.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

esspy2

EOS R6
Nov 16, 2020
Does this camera compete directly with anything other than the A7S III? I don't understand why they're competing with themselves. Is it worth developing a whole extra camera because some customers will pay an extra thousand dollars for XLR?
I think they're almost competing with the C70 in terms of form factor, although the C70 has way more connectivity and ND-filters. Maybe you can consider the FX3 also competing with box cameras and BMPCCs too. The only tangible way this is better than the A7S III though is just making it fractionally smaller, though.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I’m curious... Exactly what part of these specs is “on-steroids“?
The missing EVF, that now means reliance in the garbage rear LCD panel?

Near as I can tell, save for a few things that can and should be added to the A7S3 via a firmware update, this camera is a downgrade... but for more money?

An I missing something?
How many more regurgitations of the A7S3 can we expect? FFS

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Am I missing something? Those specs are almost identical to the a7s3. What does this offer that the a7s3 doesn’t have? Same sensor, same 4K/120, same IBIS, same battery, etc. What makes this camera seem like it’s on steroids, Just the size?
Steroids make you bigger don’t they? It’s watered down A7S3 for more money? Upside down nonsense.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Def not on "steroids". Stop being over sensational. It's where hybrid cameras should have started. With active cooling. Sony has found that hybrid still cameras have pretty much plateaud even with the use of the "Auto Power OFF Temp = HIGH" setting. It can go no further. Thanks to Canon's R5. Hybrids have to add active cooling if they wish to keep that teeny weeny body and advance further.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0