Industry News: Rumored specs for the Sony FX3 are here, it’s an A7S III on steroids

Jan 28, 2019
Interesting response

I’ll start with saying I would rather have two cameras that can do everything I would creatively interested in doing without having to compromise given the hardware is there. I thoroughly enjoy using R5&R6 (WB differences aside).

Adding a C70 to have what the R5 really can probably already do is just frustrating honestly.

But the real draw to the fx3 for me is that in all honesty, there is legitimate cinema function in it and the A7siii with no real limitation (maybe ND), be FF AND it can be a B camera for photo.

And don’t give me the 12mp talk, because i could just as easily grab a 5D and feel right at home. Frame your shot well, and post. Most online work is compressed to 2-3mp any way. If I need to print big or crop, R5 is never far from me. I can’t say enough about how good that camera is as a stills camera.
You are right, the C70 is too good to be used next to an R5, or an a7s III, or an fx3, it's in another league from all those cameras. I guess you can just buy 2 of them if you need 2 since they're only $5,000 and idiot Sony is charging $3,500 for a POS a7s III. By the way I wouldn't touch a Sony camera and even if Sony paid me a million dollars I wouldn't use their shitty cameras. And yeah I shoot the Canon R5 with a 28-70 f/2 all day baby!

Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
It does have XLR ports (on a handle?) which to me as a film maker is _very_ important. Although, with Sony's hot shoe adapter all their cameras could be seen as having XLR-ports already. This is what I miss the most on Canon's mirrorless cameras.

I would have much preferred ND-filters over IBIS on a video camera though.
IBIS and ND would have been a good idea, even with a thicker body so ND filter system would find its way.
Without ND, that camera might miss a the demand of many possible buyers.

IBIS is not professional...
In reality, IBIS is not for a Production Crew on a fiction, but a Single Shooter doing Documentaries and Run&Go likes it even that person is a professional.

Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
Let’s be objective here guys. It’s a decent camera.

There are mounts built into the camera for drone and handle with XLR connection. (I would love an xlr grip or R Mount 1DC

edit: XLR handle is included in the box

15 stops of DR with expanded iso starting at 40

Dual iso

There is a rocker for power zoom lenses

ibis that doesn’t wobble as bad and catalyst Browse. The active can serve as a 10% crop as well.

menus that are separate for photo vs video

It has a fan for long form shooting

It’s full frame and small(great gimbal cam)

4K 120 with sound / nearly unlimited non line skipped 4K 24/60

full HDMI with options for clean and detail view.

It takes pictures, and very good ones at that(if you put a 12mp vs a 20 or 45mp, the difference is in the details and for any good photographer you can get a great image with 12).

Slog 2-3 , 10bit in all profiles internal even standard and also raw to a recorder.

records redundant to both card slots and even a third if using a recorder.

If you are a 70/30 (video/photo) person at the very least there is nothing holding you back.

I love myself some Canon (boy it feels good to hold), but I really wish I could have my R5/R6’s to have Sony’s flexibility and honestly price.

edit: Also has 12 bit Raw to a recorder
Agree absolutely with you.
A further reason not to understand why NO ND?
With ND that would be a typical professional cinema body... with great codecs

Last edited:
Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
You are right, the C70 is too good to be used next to an R5, or an a7s III, or an fx3, it's in another league from all those cameras. I guess you can just buy 2 of them if you need 2 since they're only $5,000 and idiot Sony is charging $3,500 for a POS a7s III. By the way I wouldn't touch a Sony camera and even if Sony paid me a million dollars I wouldn't use their shitty cameras. And yeah I shoot the Canon R5 with a 28-70 f/2 all day baby!

Interesting comment Shawn:

Serious question on my side:

You are not limited by the "overheating" issue mentioned many times?
Or do you only shoot 2K or 4:2:0 8 bits?

I am interested to hear a positive feedback on video with R5.
So glad to read one if possible.

On my side, I am looking for a body shooting 4K 4:2:2 10 bits.
Do not care 8K, do not care Raw.
Until now only C70 is in line with my needs.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2019
Interesting comment Shawn:

Serious question on my side:
You are not limited by the "overheating" issue mentioned many times?
Or do you only shoot 2K or 4:2:0 8 bits?

I am interested to hear a positive feedback on video with R5.
So glad to read one if possible.

On my side, I am looking for a body shooting 4K 4:2:2 10 bits.
Do not care 8K, do not care Raw.
Until now only C70 is in line with my needs.

Thanks
I would get the C70, R5 is great if you know what you're doing though. The fx3 is probably also great, but is it better than the R5?

Upvote 0