Industry News: Sony halts production of the ZV-E10

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Here’s another casualty of the global chip shortage, this time from Sony. Sony has announced they have halted production of the Sony ZV-E10 for an undetermined length of time.
Sony stopped accepting new orders for the Sony ZV-E10 on December 3, 2021.
Press Release from Sony Japan:
Notice and apology regarding temporary suspension of orders for digital imaging products
Thank you for your continued patronage of Sony products.
Currently, with regard to digital imaging products, parts procurement is delayed due to the effects of global semiconductor shortages.
Therefore, we will suspend the acceptance of orders from our distributors and customers at the Sony store as follows for specific models with tight supply.
Regarding the resumption of order acceptance, we will consider it while observing the status of parts supply and will inform you separately on the product information page.
We deeply apologize for any inconvenience caused to our customers.
We will do our utmost to deliver the...

Continue reading...

f119a

My Cars Always Break Down
CR Pro
Jun 18, 2013
Delaware
www.yichenhu.com
Halting production of a camera is not a unusual scene; however, it is unusual when the camera is Sony's best-selling one among Japanese offline resellers for quite a while. I guess the APS-C cameras don't really make enough profit for the Big 3 anymore when the chip availability is tight and price is hiking... and they'd rather put those available chips in higher end models.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Halting production of a camera is not a unusual scene; however, it is unusual when the camera is Sony's best-selling one among Japanese offline resellers for quite a while. I guess the APS-C cameras don't really make enough profit for the Big 3 anymore when the chip availability is tight and price is hiking... and they'd rather put those available chips in higher end models.
Same chip used in all/most models? Why would that seem odd to me?

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Same chip used in all/most models? Why would that seem odd to me?

That would be odd.

I suspect what is meant was to allow their suppliers to concentrate on the chips used in higher end models.

Of course, Sony likely makes many of its own chips; if I recall correctly, they make their own sensors (as well as many other companies' sensors).

Edit: Thinking about it a bit more I realize there probably are some chips in common between models, but not everything. I'm sure Sony's equivalent to DIGIC is not common among all models, for instance.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Sony halted more expensive cameras as well.

Upvote 0

f119a

My Cars Always Break Down
CR Pro
Jun 18, 2013
Delaware
www.yichenhu.com
That would be odd.

I suspect what is meant was to allow their suppliers to concentrate on the chips used in higher end models.

Of course, Sony likely makes many of its own chips; if I recall correctly, they make their own sensors (as well as many other companies' sensors).

Edit: Thinking about it a bit more I realize there probably are some chips in common between models, but not everything. I'm sure Sony's equivalent to DIGIC is not common among all models, for instance.
Yes I was thinking things like Bionz X, RAMs, EVFs, etc. So far there are only 3 camera using Bionz XR and one (a7S III) is already affected, one (a7 IV) is not yet for sale in NA.
AFAIK a6400, 6100 and ZV E-10 do use the same CMOS. I guess Sony's previous effort (stopping a6400 and a6100 production) simply didn't free up enough wafers for a7 IV preorders so they made a tough decision. I heard distributors in some area told customers they need half a year to fulfil all a7 IV preorders.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
That would be odd.

Sony does not manufacture it's camera LCDs nor LCD driver chips. Without the LCD the cameras don't get final assembly. The LCD voltages and EVF voltages are regulated by a regulator chip also. And Sony does not manufacture those either.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Yes I was thinking things like Bionz X, RAMs, EVFs, etc. So far there are only 3 camera using Bionz XR and one (a7S III) is already affected, one (a7 IV) is not yet for sale in NA.
AFAIK a6400, 6100 and ZV E-10 do use the same CMOS. I guess Sony's previous effort (stopping a6400 and a6100 production) simply didn't free up enough wafers for a7 IV preorders so they made a tough decision. I heard distributors in some area told customers they need half a year to fulfil all a7 IV preorders.
All of those items are useless without display driver chips and voltage regulator chips.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0