Industry News: Sony officially announces the alpha FX3 cinema camera

Sep 20, 2020
Canon finally makes a smaller cinema camera and the AF is broken.
The AF is not broken.
It just requires a lot of light.
People are comparing it to R5, R6, A7S III, FX3, and FX6.
Those cameras use eye detect instead of just face detect.
Eyes require far less light to detect.
If Canon is going to make the camera look like a DSLR then they should add eye detect if they can because that is what many people expect when they see it.

Upvote 0
First was the A7S3, was noticeably less sharp than R5 in 4K. Then Sony release the A1, again noticeably less sharp in 8K and 4K, vs the R5. Now this, a repackage A7S3 sensor, what is Sony doing, it’ll be noticeably less sharp again vs the R5, duh. Just goes to show, how deadly the R5 was to Sony family tree, one camera practically ruined the entire family(including cine line)....3 strikes and you’re out!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
I like the C70 the way it is but if Canon were to release R5 and R6 active cooling then it would be game over for everyone else.
Panasonic showed that was the way to go with the S1H.
Panasonic needs to fix their bloody focus system...
S5 obviously proved to be better than predecessors but still ridiculous front of Sony or Canon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
First was the A7S3, was noticeably less sharp than R5 in 4K. Then Sony release the A1, again noticeably less sharp in 8K and 4K, vs the R5. Now this, a repackage A7S3 sensor, what is Sony doing, it’ll be noticeably less sharp again vs the R5, duh. Just goes to show, how deadly the R5 was to Sony family tree, one camera practically ruined the entire family(including cine line)....3 strikes and you’re out!
Sales of cameras will show who is moving ahead and who is going down.
A year ago, Sony was below Canon but with the biggest growth in sales.
I am a fan of Canon, so let's not misunderstand my message, but Sony is a serious competitor.

Nikon has almost already lost the race against Sony and I never considered Nikon to be a bad brand.
Who 5 years ago would have thought Nikon would be put in danger (in sales) by Sony?
I would have not thought this.

The verdict will be given by the final sales figures.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Can’t figure out why someone would buy this over the A7S3?
• XLRs can be added to the A7S3 and include a microphone.
• Battery grip can be added to the A7S3
• A7S3 includes the EVF
Hm true, but some differences stick out:
- smaller, (and lighter?)
- mounting options directly on the camera (so you dont need a cage which makes it again even smaller then the a7s3 with a cage)
- active cooling, probably allowing for way longer and more reliable runtimes
- button layout looks bit more video centered
- sensor is maybe optimized for video (?). At least its 16:9 and not 3:2 afaik

I guess that this camera is a bit more "logical" than the A7s3. Its realy video centered, while the a7s3 got the form factor of a photo camera - but I dont think that many people interested in photo are buying the a7s3. I guess that the a7s3 is 95% used by video guys. 12mp is simply not enough for most types of work today. So a body which is optimized for video around this sensor can make sense =)

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I like the C70 the way it is but if Canon were to release R5 and R6 active cooling then it would be game over for everyone else.
Panasonic showed that was the way to go with the S1H.
I totaly agree on the R5. Also add full-size hdmi, a bigger viewfinder and 4k raw (8k raw is crazy heavy on the filesize) <3

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
The AF is not broken.
It just requires a lot of light.
People are comparing it to R5, R6, A7S III, FX3, and FX6.
Those cameras use eye detect instead of just face detect.
Eyes require far less light to detect.
If Canon is going to make the camera look like a DSLR then they should add eye detect if they can because that is what many people expect when they see it.
my c100 has better AF. It might not be as advanced or whatever but the AF in the middle stuck to whatever was in front of it. The C70 keeps changing it's mind. I started using manual focus again. Even my EOS R had way better AF. Barely had issues with the default AF style.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I totaly agree on the R5. Also add full-size hdmi, a bigger viewfinder and 4k raw (8k raw is crazy heavy on the filesize) <3
i dont understand what would be so hard about giving it the c70 treatment. Also was does it have clog 1 when it isnt even made for 10 bit then they give you a ten bit only codec for log. The c70 doesnt even have c log 1 so it just makes it a little harder to match the current line up as easy as it could be. make it make sense.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016

Thanks for your great Canon fan boy insight ;)

Upvote 0
my c100 has better AF. It might not be as advanced or whatever but the AF in the middle stuck to whatever was in front of it. The C70 keeps changing it's mind. I started using manual focus again. Even my EOS R had way better AF. Barely had issues with the default AF style.
That sounds bad I am interested in the rumored C50 but this would be a dealbreaker. If AF doesn't work well I might aswell get a BMPCC. Did you use with Sigma 18-35mm?

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
In every comparison that I’ve seen, the A1’s 8.2K oversampled 8K image is noticeably sharper than the R5. The 4K is pixel binned on the A1, but still sharp. I’m no fan of the A1... because at $6500, frankly, there are more interesting options. But got to keep it real.

Upvote 0

Similar thought, I would say the R5 completely invalidates the Sony A9 line: similar AF, burst, buffer, and price, but almost double the resolution and better video (the R6 almost does the same to Canon's own 1DX3 unless you need the build quality). It also put effective pressure on other Sony lines that now offer only targeted benefits, while sacrificing areas that the R5 excels at. For example, the A7R4, do you need 60MP versus 45MP (sacrificing superior video and burst)? For the A7S3, do you need longer 4K recording times than what the R5 already offers (sacrificing 45MP versus 12MP)? And for the FX3, do you need the active cooling (even worse 10MP)? It has become narrowly targeted because the R5 does so many things well without sacrificing what you would lose if you went with an A7R4, or A7S3, or FX3. Of course, you could go with the A1, basically a faster R5, but at a whopping 50% more cost, making the R5 look like a bargain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
Similar thought, I would say the R5 completely invalidates the Sony A9 line: similar AF, burst, buffer, and price, but almost double the resolution and better video (the R6 almost does the same to Canon's own 1DX3 unless you need the build quality). It also put effective pressure on other Sony lines that now offer only targeted benefits, while sacrificing areas that the R5 excels at. For example, the A7R4, do you need 60MP versus 45MP (sacrificing superior video and burst)? For the A7S3, do you need longer 4K recording times than what the R5 already offers (sacrificing 45MP versus 12MP)? And for the FX3, do you need the active cooling (even worse 10MP)? It has become narrowly targeted because the R5 does so many things well without sacrificing what you would lose if you went with an A7R4, or A7S3, or FX3. Of course, you could go with the A1, basically a faster R5, but at a whopping 50% more cost, making the R5 look like a bargain.
And that’s where the difference is photography, It’s more of a wash but for video the list is long where the A1 has options that the R5 doesn’t have.... And I hug my R5 before bed each night.

Canon has already said they don’t expect R5 users to need high end video options and A1 with xlr adapter is a very compelling option.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
I would love to see that in a R body
This is the common theme for many like myself.

The question is if Canon will be willing or if they can survive if they give us a tool that doesn’t have major compromises in “pro” video and also takes stills.

The tech is there.... but the same sensor performance in the c300 is being charged at 11,000 usd. And that is super 35.... Would Canon be willing to give us that in Full frame without a “Cripple” (I use that term loosely).

I really hope for a 1RC, with an XLR option, no record limits or overheating(within reason). Canon Sony A1..... problem is Sony want us in their ecosystem, DSLR/mirrorless to cinema cameras is Canons ecosystem .

Upvote 0