IPAD 3 = Lame

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant believe that they continue to refuse to put a USB host on the IPAD, all the android tablets are getting USB host functionality and apple in their infinte arrogance continue to cripple on of the biggest potentials of the platform. I can see this as the turning point where Android start to hand apple their Arses.

one of the main reasons I want to get a tablet is for traveling so i can take a hard drive and backup photos to the drive, with the new IPAD this is still impossible. I prefer the apple iOS interface though and really dont want to go to android... :'(

Mar 25, 2011
I don't use a IPAD, but have friends who load photos thru a card reader. They also get photos and images off the IPad.

I think they use this.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/01/27/apple-has-a-solution-for-the-ipads-missing-sd-card-slot-and-usb-port-adapters/

Does it work for anyone? Obviously, built-in ports are preferred, but if this works, I'd be covered with a new one. I also wondered about eyefi.

I doubt that the little battery in a ipad would power a portable hard drive, in any event.

I suspect that they do not provide the ports to prevent someone from cheaply upgrading the memory in their IPAD.

I'm waiting to see the rumored lenovo windows tablet.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I don't use a IPAD, but have friends who load photos thru a card reader. They also get photos and images off the IPad.

I think they use this.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/01/27/apple-has-a-solution-for-the-ipads-missing-sd-card-slot-and-usb-port-adapters/

Does it work for anyone? Obviously, built-in ports are preferred, but if this works, I'd be covered with a new one. I also wondered about eyefi.

I doubt that the little battery in a ipad would power a portable hard drive, in any event.

I suspect that they do not provide the ports to prevent someone from cheaply upgrading the memory in their IPAD.

I'm waiting to see the rumored lenovo windows tablet.

I use the Apple camera/card reader option but have only used it as a backup on a trip to Paris and London last year. I was pleasantly surprised that the iPad rendered the raw images on the screen from my 40D. I only used the feature as a backup - not really a photo viewing app. Once the iPad is loaded with photos in that manner, you merely hook it up to your computer and the images can then be imported in LR or whatever you use - ?I don't recall if it renamed the images or not - doubt it did.

Upvote 0
I've been pretty happy with the CC kit, not to mention some of the editing options. On last year's vacation I uploaded photos quickly and easily and then did some cool edits with Nik Snapseed. A co-worker prefers PhotoForge, which has more of the standard levels/curves/HSL/etc workflow. I wish the CC kit offered a CF connection, but it's available from other vendors.

I don't see iPad becoming the hub of a serious photographer's workflow, but you can get stuff done - even in the absence of built-in ports - and it makes a great presentation tool. I can't imagine the iPad 3's high res screen hurting that one bit.

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
I cant believe that they continue to refuse to put a USB host on the IPAD, all the android tablets are getting USB host functionality and apple in their infinte arrogance continue to cripple on of the biggest potentials of the platform. I can see this as the turning point where Android start to hand apple their Arses.

one of the main reasons I want to get a tablet is for traveling so i can take a hard drive and backup photos to the drive, with the new IPAD this is still impossible. I prefer the apple iOS interface though and really dont want to go to android... :'(

Nothing can meet the specs for the screen size.

It's got a kick ass screen, a higher resolution than most HDTVs, a CPU/GPU more powerful than game consoles on the market.
It's got BT 4.0, and wifin - with the option of possibly doing dual channel 801.11n.

You can already get a SDHC card reader and you can also get CF readers.

The funnel is the gatekeeper of the 30 pin connector, which means the manufacturers need to go through the Made for iOS system.

Upvote 0

5dmk.iii

I have pre-ordered the "New" Ipad, as well as those docks mentioned (USB + SD card reader) and a Dock to HDMI connector as well. I will let you know how it works...

I would have like Camera tethering via the ipad, but without Canon SDK and iOS apps for that, the USB is not the bottleneck for that. However I hope using the USB dock connector, I can view the pics (maybe raws) on the ipaddy.

EDIT: Just saw Jamesy's post answering one of my questions +1. Thanks!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Well, if we are going to rag on Apple, I'm still mad that they refuse to play nice with Flash.

You can have a beautifully designed website that shows off your work and then, if you want to show it to someone using an iPad the thing either won't work or you have to have it default to a second- or third-rate presentation. Worst part is, there is no legitimate reason for Apple to cripple their OS by refusing to play with Flash.

Upvote 0

nvsravank

CR Pro
Feb 2, 2012
Look at Hyper Drive. It connects to your IPAD and acts as a hard drive. One version of Hyper Drive is only for storage and there is a second version that you can use to download the photos from CF cards etc and then view them over in iPAD with the dock connector.

Yes a bit clunky to carry all those components, but it works great as it give upto 750 GB or 1 TB (BAsed on the model) of storage with your IPAD for your photos.

It is a great backup solution also.

Upvote 0
F

flanniganj

unfocused said:
Well, if we are going to rag on Apple, I'm still mad that they refuse to play nice with Flash.

You can have a beautifully designed website that shows off your work and then, if you want to show it to someone using an iPad the thing either won't work or you have to have it default to a second- or third-rate presentation. Worst part is, there is no legitimate reason for Apple to cripple their OS by refusing to play with Flash.
Legitimate reasons do exist. Flash is notoriously battery hungry and buggy. It creates security holes in sites that can be easily exploited, allowing the site to be hijacked and have malicious code implemented on your computer. iOS gets much of it's strength by being a "walled garden" environment. It has drawbacks of course, but allowing a product that is fading out anyway and is being replaced by HTML5 will become less and less important with each new iteration of iOS. It won't become more important. Even Adobe has stopped supporting it for mobile devices. For example, Adobe Edge performs similar functions of Flash, but outputs its product in HTML5 instead of SWF.

Personal opinion: if a site needs flash to be considered well-designed, then it isn't well designed. This is 15 years of web design experience talking. People will certainly disagree with me here, but knowing what a pain Flash can be vs. the alternatives available today, it seems like an easy choice for Apple to make.

Upvote 0

5dmk.iii

nvsravank said:
Look at Hyper Drive. It connects to your IPAD and acts as a hard drive. One version of Hyper Drive is only for storage and there is a second version that you can use to download the photos from CF cards etc and then view them over in iPAD with the dock connector.

Yes a bit clunky to carry all those components, but it works great as it give upto 750 GB or 1 TB (Based on the model) of storage with your IPAD for your photos.

It is a great backup solution also.

Thanks for the tip... the case only for $99 looks appetizing. Have you used it? Does the HDD need to be formatted a certain way to be accessible to the iOS?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.