IPAD 3 = Lame

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've looked at the Hyperdrive and may end up getting one.
How is the interface? looks a little cluncky
I have resisted buying an Ipad In the hope that it would get USB host functionality. I am not ragging on apple, I use Macs, iphones etc but for me there is nothing the ipad does that my iphone cant so no point getting it.

The apple camera connection kit will allow you to download photos from a card to the ipad however there is no way to transfer those photos to an external hard drive (maybe the hyperdrive will work here, does anyone know if the hyper drive will work with an iphone?)

I would love to be able to shoot tethered to an ipad
I would love to be able to use the ipad for live view shooting

currently i can control my 5Dmk2 with my iphone and the dslrbot app but that does not have any live view shooting function as its all one way comms over IR

when travelling it would be great to be able to only take an ipad and a compact portable hard drive rather than a laptop. Maybe a macbook air is the best option instead

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
wickidwombat said:
I would love to be able to shoot tethered to an ipad
I would love to be able to use the ipad for live view shooting

when travelling it would be great to be able to only take an ipad and a compact portable hard drive rather than a laptop. Maybe a macbook air is the best option instead

Tethered and liveview would be a killer app.

A buddy of mine has a Macbook air and Macbook Pro (and I bought his iPad 1 and then he bought a 2 - anyway I digress). He loves the size of the Macbook Air but does not find it powerfull enough for LR and PS - so that might be a consideration.

I am a subway commuter and I used to read books or watch video on an iPod Touch. The iPad has changed the whole experience. A PC/MAC needs time to boot, has keyboard, whereas the iPad (or any tablet) just appears when you whip it out. I have used it to pull up shot ideas in the studio or on location too.

If you were only going to get one, I would get the Air but if you will love the iPad. BTW, get Goodreader - the best PDf reader out there, bar none!

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
Axilrod said:
I agree the no-usb thing sucks, and is limiting, dont they make an adapter by now?

My Apple camera kit has two dongles, one with a SDHC card slot and one with a USB port. I plug a card reader into the USB port but that's it - they have locked it down to that functionality. I am reading the Steve Jobs book now and he had a fanatical obsession with controlling the end-user experience hence some of the shortcomings we see in their products.

They could rule the photography/video space if the iPad was a little more integration friendly.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
bvukich said:
Jamesy said:

You've been able to do this from Android devices for a while now.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller

Nice! I am in love with Goodreader and it is only available on IOS - I think Apple made them rich ;D

If I was going to buy something other than Apple then I would look at an Android device - they are knocking it out of the park.

Upvote 0
bvukich said:
Jamesy said:

You've been able to do this from Android devices for a while now.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller

This is my exact point, USB host functionality is integral to the rise of tablets If Apple keep a ceiling on the development Android are going to eat them alive since they dont have the same dogmatic limitations
Unfortunately its a hardware thing so even jailbreaking it wont help :(

I love the way iOS do alot of things but other than the nice screen an ipad essentially does nothing more than my iphone can so i see no benefit in having one. although browsing CR is a little tough on the small screen of the phone i'll admit that

Upvote 0
Axilrod said:
. The iPad has changed the whole experience. A PC/MAC needs time to boot, has keyboard, whereas the iPad (or any tablet) just appears when you whip it out.

i think you meant "SSDs" here instead of Apple... It takes 15 seconds to boot my laptop, including post into windows with 0% cpu utilization.

And I think your comparison might be flawed... iOS takes forever to boot up on my iPhone 3GS. Typically though your ipad/tablet/iphone is always on so it doesn't really boot.

Upvote 0
IPad was not designed as a workhorse. It's rather a presentation tool than interface for storage or serious photo manipulation device. I hate all the restrictions and stupid compromises in IOS like iTunes synchronization (like: "...this action will remove all your existing photos with new ones"...) or lack of true USB support.
On the other hand, if you store your photo library on Mac with iPhoto (ie. with faces reocgnition), then it's a great accompanying iPhoto app on iPad (ie. with photos categorized by people after being recognized and categorized on mac first), but rather for viewing not editing. That's the philosophy though.
I think that market for such specialized apps like HDMI screen for DSLRs is not big enough to support it by Apple. And again let's not forget, that lack of some useful apps for EOS support on iPad is not because of Apple's policy, but rather Canon's restrictions - no development library for IOS. If Canon doesn't see a potential in it, why Apple would?

Upvote 0

kdsand

Newt II a human stampede
Nov 1, 2011
north west indiana
I can't believe what I'm hearing.

I have a toshiba thrive. I have a full size usb port, a full size sd card slot, hdmi port and a spare battery. I don't need a keyboard dock because my bluetooth microsoft keyboard works fine with this tablet. Purchasing adapters has been a non issue for me.
While tethered I can control my camera and use live view or I can review the raw pictures. Since I have a 60 d I can shoot even shoot straight raw and later convert to JPEG in camera so I can view the jpegs on my tablet by simply transferring the sd card.

dslr controller was just about the first app I bought. :D

Life is good people there are options!
:)

Upvote 0

leGreve

Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
Nov 6, 2010
Denmark
vimeo.com
I still can't get over the fact that they didn't make regional 4G hardware...... there's absolutely no incentive to buy the iPad 3 unless you just want larger resolution. The 4G is tuned for the states, and since a lot of countries used a different bandwidth we can't utilize the 4G part of the pad... might as well just buy a used iPad 2 instead.

Upvote 0
The OP doesn't need an iPad3 he needs an 11" Macbook Air.

It does everything he needs, plus it can run the canon software for live view on larger monitor.

Hang as bigger usb drive off of that as you can find.

Plus its size is small and light enough. the only thing you would be missing would be the 3/4G connection, but thats why you just tether to your iPhone via personal hotspot.

An all in one solution thats more than powerful enough for 90% of photographers out there looking at a tablet.

Upvote 0

kdsand

Newt II a human stampede
Nov 1, 2011
north west indiana
AG said:
The OP doesn't need an iPad3 he needs an 11" Macbook Air.

It does everything he needs, plus it can run the canon software for live view on larger monitor.

Hang as bigger usb drive off of that as you can find.

Plus its size is small and light enough. the only thing you would be missing would be the 3/4G connection, but thats why you just tether to your iPhone via personal hotspot.

An all in one solution thats more than powerful enough for 90% of photographers out there looking at a tablet.
As long as you can get the cover to be touch sensitive & fold back on itself.
Indeed a keeper.
;D

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2011
I don't know how much utility a tablet tether would really bring. Sounds like a tangle of cables and lots of opportunities for drops. I agree just get an air if you need to tether. I use my MacBook Pro 15" and a dual head tripod bar. The quad core processors and antiglare screen make it an awesome studio solution, with instant workstation power if need be.

In all truthfulness, I was Pleasantly surprised that the iPad2 could handle RAW files from my 60D. I tried it initially with an EyeFi card but it was tooooooo slow and unreliable. In the end I just used the camera connectivity kit. I took a 2 week vaca in Hawaii last year and really didn't want to lug the laptop and assorted cables and adapters so I just used the iPad. The video editing and photo processing was surprisingly good. In fact there are two landscape shots that I was actually unable to get as appealing in LR as in Snapseed on the iPad

I have ordered the new iPad. The high res screen on the iPhone4/4s is hypnotic. I can't imagine it at iPad size. 4g LTE is a bonus too I suppose.

Upvote 0
marekjoz said:
IPad was not designed as a workhorse. It's rather a presentation tool than interface for storage or serious photo manipulation device. I hate all the restrictions and stupid compromises in IOS like iTunes synchronization (like: "...this action will remove all your existing photos with new ones"...) or lack of true USB support.
On the other hand, if you store your photo library on Mac with iPhoto (ie. with faces reocgnition), then it's a great accompanying iPhoto app on iPad (ie. with photos categorized by people after being recognized and categorized on mac first), but rather for viewing not editing. That's the philosophy though.
I think that market for such specialized apps like HDMI screen for DSLRs is not big enough to support it by Apple. And again let's not forget, that lack of some useful apps for EOS support on iPad is not because of Apple's policy, but rather Canon's restrictions - no development library for IOS. If Canon doesn't see a potential in it, why Apple would?

Horsephallus. They both know damn well their products are perfect complements.
Lets see, buy a $500 5" monitor (plus external batteries and other accessories), or spend less for a computer, with a 10" screen, built in battery, wifi, 4g.

Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid.

If it had HDMI or Thunderbolt in, they could market new tiny portable HDDs and SSDs (w/HDMI/TB)so you could...get this, actually watch your movie collection (which obviously exceeds 64GBs) on that gorgeous new screen.
It would also be an incredible tool for dumping footage... If Canon didn't skimp on the TB.

But check it out...
http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/seagate-adapter-hits-hard-drives-with-a-thunderbolt/
Sweet jumping titties!!! Only $190 extra per desktop external!
$150 for the sonnet 3/4 adapter, something Apple phased out (except 17"... for now) for a stupid SD slot. I frequent the SD, and it's still the stupidest decision ever made by humans.

Our masterful mastery of mass production doesn't appear to be working...though, licensing sure does.
They market TB for "professionals" so they can get away with it.
Load of crap.

The technology within TB does sound intense and a bit expensive, but why steer it toward pros when you could forcefully phase out everything else? (Think one-port electronics with mini squid adapters to any antique ports you need)
13 months. Not long in Earth years I suppose, but this could very well be the last wired wire used by humans for these purposes.

Nobody will run with it. They sit around and hesitate (raising consumer speculation), finally release and overcharge (causing consumer apathy).
I trusted Apple, Intel, and Canon to take it to the limit. So far, they've come up flaccid.

Maybe if we all start quietly chanting Ivy Bridge, Ivy Bridge...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.