Is a Canon EOS R100 coming next year? A budget EOS R APS-C camera [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
WIth the recent announcements for the highly-anticipated Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10 along with new RF-S lenses, Canon has shown that they’re all-in on APS-C RF mount cameras.
Are they done for now?
It’s not likely, as the first rumors of a Canon EOS R100 have hit the web.  We do think a camera body under the Canon EOS R10 is very likely. We could also see it more closesly resemble the Canon EOS M50 Mark II or Canon EOS M6 Mark II in form factor.
The EOS M lineup of cameras was designed by the PowerShot group within Canon, and with the PowerShot...

Continue reading...

Jan 27, 2020
Not even a rumor from any source. Just speculation. Yes, many of us have been speculating that there will someday be a rebel in the RF lineup. It doesn't take too much intelligence or imagination to make such a speculation. But when Canon Rumors does it, people take it as fact and it becomes just another attempt to dissuade people from buying Canon M cameras.

CR won't be happy until M is dead. I'm sure Canon would be much happier if CR was dead.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2019
I vote for the M6-2 form factor. I'd also appreciate it if Canon would offer a mount conversion service for my M mount lenses although the phrase "snowball's chance in Hell" comes to mind.
Or possibly some sort of trade-in service, especially if EF-M lens optics get "re-born" in RF lens casings, allowing re-cycling of parts and a means of migrating EOS M users to the EOS R system. Trade-in your EF-M lens for a substantial discount on the equivalent RF lens.

To make sense, the discount would have to be more than the likely second-hand price, otherwise, if people could get a better price on online auctions, there would be no incentive to use it. The advantage for Canon would be that, by offering such a service, they would be taking these EF-M lenses out of circulation, making it harder for EOS M users to continue to obtain the parts which might keep them in the EOS M system.

Thinking about it, though, the administrative cost and other overheads might well outweigh the benefit Canon might reckon to gain, so I think "snowball's chance in Hell" could be right. I've no idea if there's any precedent in the camera market.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
I agree (I can't see any reason not to!), but, obviously, it does leave EOS M users "high and dry" (and possibly disgruntled with the brand).
I suspect the typical EOS M user isn’t really interested in accumulating lenses and accessories and forward compatibility with future bodies. That’s for equipment geeks like us, who see the M as an accessory to our EF and RF EOS systems.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2020
No more or less disgruntled than current DSLR users. Most M users aren’t on forums. Most use their cameras and when they don’t work anymore, they’ll see what’s new on the market and have maybe a kit lens and a prime to replace. But I expect our M6II will last for years before any of this becomes any kind of concern at my house. I also expect Canon will continue to service it if needed. Some of the hand wringing reads as though people think their M cameras will one day all just shut down for good overnight.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
If Canon are intent on killing off the M series (which I doubt, given their popularity and excellent design), then IMO they'd be making a big mistake. Why kill off an excellent product, only to replace it with something bulkier? Surely the whole point of the M series was to have a high quality *pocketable* MILC?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Kit Chan

EOS M6 II
Sep 7, 2020
I suspect the typical EOS M user isn’t really interested in accumulating lenses and accessories and forward compatibility with future bodies. That’s for equipment geeks like us, who see the M as an accessory to our EF and RF EOS systems.
EOS M user who is interested in accumulating lenses and accessories and would love a Digic X M6II successor here.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
EOS M user who is interested in accumulating lenses and accessories and would love a Digic X M6II successor here.
I didn’t say there aren’t any, but the M is a consumer product. I’m willing to bet the vast majority of M users buy it like a toaster or any other appliance, to get a job done which is to take pictures they can’t get with their phones. Only a small minority, I would guess, hang out in internet photography equipment forums.

FWIW, I’m an M user too (M5), but I bought it as an accessory to my EF EOS system, for travel. These days, my son mainly uses it for astrophotography.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Or possibly some sort of trade-in service, especially if EF-M lens optics get "re-born" in RF lens casings, allowing re-cycling of parts and a means of migrating EOS M users to the EOS R system. Trade-in your EF-M lens for a substantial discount on the equivalent RF lens.

To make sense, the discount would have to be more than the likely second-hand price, otherwise, if people could get a better price on online auctions, there would be no incentive to use it. The advantage for Canon would be that, by offering such a service, they would be taking these EF-M lenses out of circulation, making it harder for EOS M users to continue to obtain the parts which might keep them in the EOS M system.

Thinking about it, though, the administrative cost and other overheads might well outweigh the benefit Canon might reckon to gain, so I think "snowball's chance in Hell" could be right. I've no idea if there's any precedent in the camera market.
Indeed. It's a sad indictment of the throwaway world we live in. It would cost less to build new lenses than recycle common parts from old ones.

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2019
No more or less disgruntled than current DSLR users.
On the contrary, I think EOS M users have reason to be more disgruntled than DSLR users: DSLR users are able to adapt their EF and EF-S lenses to the RF system; EOS M users cannot adapt theirs, so their loss goes deeper, it seems to me.

I was under the impression that EOS M cameras (the M50 in particular) were popular with vloggers and YouTubers. So, potentially, a group of people with more influence than their number alone might suggest. Even if they have not invested in a range of lenses with potential use outside of vlogging, at some point they might want a new camera body and at that point, p*d off to discover they're having to replace more than just the camera, give full vent to their displeasure to all their admiring followers.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0