Is an RF 100-500mm lens on the way? [CR2]

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I will be buying the 200-400 on the 13th November 2021. Unless something hits 500 on the long end. The weight and size aren't a issue, if I don't get it it'll be for a 200-500 or a 600mm. I am accustomed to using my monopod and tripod for my 300 f/2.8 as it is has no IS. I also tried the 500 f/4.5 for a while and it was a good size.
Why wait when you can buy now a Sigma 200-500 f/2.8 + matched 2xTC as weight and size aren't a issue?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018

That lens hood is a $45 piece of plastic that doesn't even come with the $500 lens (street price, $550 retail). I know the hoods are always a ripoff, but come on!

I got a $13 third party hood because I couldn't bring myself to get ripped off that badly.

I do love the lens though...

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I will be buying the 200-400 on the 13th November 2021. Unless something hits 500 on the long end. The weight and size aren't a issue, if I don't get it it'll be for a 200-500 or a 600mm. I am accustomed to using my monopod and tripod for my 300 f/2.8 as it is has no IS. I also tried the 500 f/4.5 for a while and it was a good size.

With the exception of weight, I love my 200-400 f4 L IS w/1.4x TC. This is one of the most versatile lenses on the planet with incredible IQ that rivals the big white primes 200-400 and is d???? good even with the 1.4x TC engaged. You can also use it with a 2x extender (internal disengaged) for a high quality 400-800mm @ f8. I love the fact I can have a very high quality zoom range from 200mm - 560mm with the flip of a switch. As long as you are in a vehicle where you can use a support or bean bag, this is the perfect African Safari lens for versatility and IQ. I am a beefy guy and can handled the lens for a few shots, but not recommended. I suggest that you check out refurbs on the Canon site if you get serious about buying, I saved around $3k. A local lab inspected the lens and said everything was perfect. No AFMA required on my 1dx II. I would show it under the bus for a 4 - 5lb, 200-500 f5.6 L IS if it had great IQ because of weight and bulk. I am getting older and trying to shed some gear weight. I went from the 70-200 f2.8 L IS II to the 70-200 f4 L IS II to shed a little and looking at other options.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

With the exception of weight, I love my 200-400 f4 L IS w/1.4x TC. This is one of the most versatile lenses on the planet with incredible IQ that rivals the big white primes 200-400 and is d???? good even with the 1.4x TC engaged. You can also use it with a 2x extender (internal disengaged) for a high quality 400-800mm @ f8. I love the fact I can have a very high quality zoom range from 200mm - 560mm with the flip of a switch. As long as you are in a vehicle where you can use a support or bean bag, this is the perfect African Safari lens for versatility and IQ. I am a beefy guy and can handled the lens for a few shots, but not recommended. I suggest that you check out refurbs on the Canon site if you get serious about buying, I saved around $3k. A local lab inspected the lens and said everything was perfect. No AFMA required on my 1dx II. I would show it under the bus for a 4 - 5lb, 200-500 f5.6 L IS if it had great IQ because of weight and bulk. I am getting older and trying to shed some gear weight. I went from the 70-200 f2.8 L IS II to the 70-200 f4 L IS II to shed a little and looking at other options.

Daft as it sounds and for pure indulgence, I will be buying mine new. It has been in my crosshairs for such a long time that I want to open the box. Sense might take over and let me save a few thousand in the process, but it is something of a experience I only intend to do once. The only other lenses that have appealed to me have been the 600 f/4 and 400 f/2.8. And the 400 only because it seemed like a natural upgrade to my 300 f/2.8. I have in preparation lost a good 4 stone so far and put on some muscle, which also serves to handle my ever growing python. As with my 300, this thing is going to live on a monopod or tripod when it is in use. And I am delighted to know it takes the teleconverters so well.

A 200-500 f/5.6 would indeed be something special, perhaps as a walk in the woods type lens where you want to have a good bit of reach but don't want to carry about all the supporting gear of a big white.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
It's all about 600mm + f/6.3 to me. It's the difference between this lens being somewhere in the same time zone as the Nikon 200-500 5.6's price or being front-elemented out of that price entirely.

Also, how does DPAF impact the rules of teleconverter-ability? How do EF extenders work on adapted EOS Rs (or in LiveView on SLRs for that matter)? If f/5.6 still an absolute must-have to allow an 1.4x to focus?

- A
I believe the R can autofocus at f/11, so even the EF100-400 can operate AF with a 2X tele right now... That was one of the really attractive things to me!

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Would that be RF to EF tele/adaptors or just RF tele’s? I use my 600 with teles and extension rings sometimes to reduce minimum focus and have had issues with the electrical contacts. Prefer to just have one additional set of electrical connections if possible.
I would love an RF to EF tele/adaptor (and buy a 1.4 immediately), and if their strategy is not to produce RF Big Whites for an extended period of time, then Canon should have no problem providing them - ie they are expecting people to adapt their EF long lenses to the RF mount, and they know that people use extensions. It makes perfect sense - but whether it happens is another question.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
Would that be RF to EF tele/adaptors or just RF tele’s? I use my 600 with teles and extension rings sometimes to reduce minimum focus and have had issues with the electrical contacts. Prefer to just have one additional set of electrical connections if possible.

It’s a no brainer to offer new Teleconverter optics in different packages. Most important is EF to RF for all the big white lenses to be used by RF shooters. Essentially a free adaptor with every TC.

Not sure if an RF to RF TC affords optical opportunities than EF limitations.

Upvote 0