Is Canon actually going to launch RF-S lenses alongside the Canon EOS R7?

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
To be honest:
Fuji is the only brand who takes APS-C seriously. If R7 doesn't come and X-H2 arrives I will probably go for Fuji.
I hope this won't happen because transition costs and I will miss some lenses badly.
I think you should go for the Fuji and soon! Share your pics please! (Fujirumors.com)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
To Canon, M is "the system that dare not speak its name". :) They don't even acknowledge it's existence in their financial documents.
They don't mention DSLRs in their financial documents, either. But in 2021, nearly half of the 2.74 million ILCs that Canon shipped were DSLRs. Both the DSLR and the APS-C MILC segments are mature markets. FF MILCs are a strong growth area for them, which is why their financial discussion in the Imaging segment focuses on that.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
They don't mention DSLRs in their financial documents, either. But in 2021, nearly half of the 2.74 million ILCs that Canon shipped were DSLRs. Both the DSLR and the APS-C MILC segments are mature markets. FF MILCs are a strong growth area for them, which is why their financial reporting focuses on that.
Strong commitment to very "lively" DSLRs, too! Remember my question what M6 II and 90D had in common (not only the sensor)?
:cool:

Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
And I think you should go for the M system! Please don't share your pics! (Nobodycares.com) :)
You are a riot. I have the M system. Two bodies in fact. Would you like to point out my M relevant messages in this thread concerning the M system? Keep it on topic when using sardonic remarks or be dismissed.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You are a riot. I have the M system. Two bodies in fact. Would you like to point out my M relevant messages in this thread concerning the M system? Keep it on topic when using sardonic remarks or be dismissed.
Wer Wind sät, wird Sturm ernten! :)

Fürs Protokoll: Ich war sehr nah am topic

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I didn’t say it’s “about to be killed”. But I do feel that even as a mature product it will simply be kept on life support by canon, until it’s eventually phased out, similar to Sony did with the A mount.

What I did say however is I am an M user. I’m quite happy with it too.

I’m quite aware it’s a top-selling camera system in Japan, but what about outside of Japan? And I just wonder where the future lies for the M system if RF-S comes to pass.

I don't have any idea how well it's doing in the United States. I don't see many M cameras in the wild. But then, if I were to judge by what I see around me locally, Nikon has 80% market share.

My general pick-it-up-and-dash-out-the-door camera is an M6-II, generally with the Tamron 18-200 native EF-M lens. When I'm doing something more elaborate and less casual the R5 comes into play.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
To be honest:
Fuji is the only brand who takes APS-C seriously. If R7 doesn't come and X-H2 arrives I will probably go for Fuji.
I hope this won't happen because transition costs and I will miss some lenses badly.
I have also had my eyes on Fujifilm, however their AF is just not (yet?) anywhere near the performance I want.
Lately OM has caught my attention with the OM-1, and I wonder if I would feel the smaller MFT sensor would be good enough for me? For most photography I do definitely care more about optical quality than sensor size, so maybe?...
Maybe OM-1 is not yet completely where I ideally want it to be, but OM definitely seems to be going in the right direction (for me) with that body.

But if Canon gives us that R7, I can stop wondering about that for the next 4-6(?) years. As for lenses my existing EF-S will do fine for the time too, if Canon doesn't launch anything more attractive than what I already got.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
My general pick-it-up-and-dash-out-the-door camera is an M6-II, generally with the Tamron 18-200 native EF-M lens. When I'm doing something more elaborate and less casual the R5 comes into play.
My grab-and-go camera is the R3, with the RF 24-105/4L for general use or the RF 70-200/2.8 for indoor events. For something more elaborate and less casual, I usually take the R3 with more esoteric lenses. I use the M6 when I am traveling light, either on an overnight trip with only carryon luggage, or a family vacation somewhere we've been before with less interesting photo ops.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
My grab-and-go camera is the R3, with the RF 24-105/4L for general use or the RF 70-200/2.8 for indoor events. For something more elaborate and less casual, I usually take the R3 with more esoteric lenses. I use the M6 when I am traveling light, either on an overnight trip with only carryon luggage, or a family vacation somewhere we've been before with less interesting photo ops.

Dash-out-the-door for me usually entails compactness. Over in R land, of course I have the same 24-105 (I bought it refurb with an RP, it's as if I got the RP for 250 bucks), and the 15-35 f/2.8; I also have the EF100-400; it basically lives in my RF bag even though I have used it with my M6-II (yes it looked funny but I wasn't photographing the camera). Those latter two are far from compact, whereas my entire EF-M gear set lives in a small bag.

I suppose I could switch to the R5 with 24-105 f/4 L for quick use, but it comes with a much larger bag and those other two lenses.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
More on topic, but really not all that much, I've noticed that Tamron EF-S lenses do not trigger the automatic cropping on R series cameras. (Unless Canon has "fixed" that in one of their firmware updates.) Though of course, you can enable it by hand.

I could imagine someone (with more ability than me) making "tunnel vision" photographs for an artistic effect with such a combo.

Upvote 0
@lote82's posts since joining a few months ago have been mainly toss-away one-liners. He/she/they have relegated him/her/them-self to irrelevancy, with a modicum of amusement value.
I rather toss funny one-liners than bore people to death by talking the same false theories over and over again. You overestimate your relevance on a rumors(!) site!

• Sad
Upvote 0