Is Canon actually going to launch RF-S lenses alongside the Canon EOS R7?

Jul 21, 2010
Dash-out-the-door for me usually entails compactness. Over in R land, of course I have the same 24-105 (I bought it refurb with an RP, it's as if I got the RP for 250 bucks), and the 15-35 f/2.8; I also have the EF100-400; it basically lives in my RF bag even though I have used it with my M6-II (yes it looked funny but I wasn't photographing the camera). Those latter two are far from compact, whereas my entire EF-M gear set lives in a small bag.
My iPhone is always in my pocket, and that's the ultimate in compactness and convenience for casual shooting. I only grab a 'real camera' if I think I'll have something worth the effort, and if it's worth the effort it's worth bringing the best IQ I can bring. Just IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I rather toss funny one-liners than bore people to death by talking the same false theories over and over again. You overestimate your relevance on a rumors(!) site!
You overestimate your amusement value.

On a more serious note, it's sad that you are labeling facts as false theories. In this country many people with that attitude often wear red hats, and espouse lies like vaccines that contain nanotrackers and foreign space lasers that start forest fires.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
More on topic, but really not all that much, I've noticed that Tamron EF-S lenses do not trigger the automatic cropping on R series cameras. (Unless Canon has "fixed" that in one of their firmware updates.) Though of course, you can enable it by hand.

I could imagine someone (with more ability than me) making "tunnel vision" photographs for an artistic effect with such a combo.
AFAIK Tamron doesn't really have an "EF-s" lenses. All the Tamron crop lenses I have are EF mount and will fit without interference on any EF camera. The are just EF lenses with an APS-c image circle. E.g. the Tamron 18-400 works just fine on a 5DSR if you switch it to crop mode.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
This sounds like more clickbait. If Canon releases and APS-c RF body with crop lenses, then the message is clear that EF-M is dead. However, if that were the plan, the first camera would not be an R7 as described, but rather a Rebel or M50 follow-on.
Of course it's click bait. It's a rumour site and every time you visit the site, irritatingly large and distracting advertisements are thrust in front of your eyes.

I don't believe that Canon will release crop RF lenses, other than a couple of kit options, but even in the extremely unlikely event that they did release a dozen top quality crop RF lenses, that would take at least 3 years to roll out.

I don't think we'll see any more M lenses, and it's quite possible (and a little sad) that there won't be any more M bodies. But Canon will keep manufacturing them as long as there is demand, and I think that demand will continue for another 2-3 years at least.

I almost get the impression that some people here would actually get some warped pleasure from seeing M killed off.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Of course it's click bait. It's a rumour site and every time you visit the site, irritatingly large and distracting advertisements are thrust in front of your eyes.

I don't believe that Canon will release crop RF lenses, other than a couple of kit options, but even in the extremely unlikely event that they did release a dozen top quality crop RF lenses, that would take at least 3 years to roll out.

I don't think we'll see any more M lenses, and it's quite possible (and a little sad) that there won't be any more M bodies. But Canon will keep manufacturing them as long as there is demand, and I think that demand will continue for another 2-3 years at least.

I almost get the impression that some people here would actually get some warped pleasure from seeing M killed off.
With CR Rumors Guy at the top of the list. He has made it clear that he hates M.

Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
@lote82's posts since joining a few months ago have been mainly toss-away one-liners. He/she/they have relegated him/her/them-self to irrelevancy, with a modicum of amusement value.
Most of the time the same statement applies to my posts. Hopefully I’ll be able to photograph again, then post actual images shortly.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

Yes and it keeps getting worse, because they have to keep piling more and more ads on in order to offset the impact of letting some users pay a bribe not to see ads. The crazy thing now is they have ads overlaid on other ads, thus obscuring one advertiser's message with another advertiser.

Agreed. Although I'm not sure what constitutes a "kit" option. If they release an R7 there would be little point in offering a crappy 18-55 kit lens. But it would make sense to offer a 15-85 and a 10-22 and call it good.

Yes, and this raises the contentious question of when exactly a line should be declared dead. When it ceases to be sold or when the manufacturer ceases to invest any new dollars in the line. The first has a definitive end-date, but the second can go on for years. One could credibly argue that Canon's film SLR line was dead long before it quit selling the last model.

Yes, just as at least one prolific contributor gets some warped pleasure from insisting that Canon will not offer an R7. I fail to understand either motivation. As near as I can tell, it's the desire to "win" an imagined competition on an obscure and insignificant internet forum.

• Love
Upvote 0
I hate seeing the M subjected to a lingering death, which seems to be where it is headed. I wish Canon would "shock" people by releasing a new model this year. A new improved vlogging M would be appropriate.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I hate seeing the M subjected to a lingering death, which seems to be where it is headed. I wish Canon would "shock" people by releasing a new model this year. A new improved vlogging M would be appropriate.
It would not surprise me to see a new M model and/or a new xxxD-level DSLR announced soon. That's not the sort of thing to get a rumors forum excited, but given the size of those market segments I can see further investment from Canon, albeit limited. In 2018/2019, their R&D resources were entirely focused on the R line, which makes perfect sense. Then COVID hit, and those resources became more limited and timelines slipped substantially.

• Haha
Upvote 0
@neuroanatomist

I am reading canonrumors for a quite a long time. Since the last 4 or 5 years I was looking nearly every day on this site for hints on a follow up for the 7D.
I didn't (and still don't) care if it would be EF, M or RF as long as it would be highend APS-C and suitable for Wildlife. Over the years it became quite clear that as a DSLR it won't come and as a M it won't fit. I was close before buying M6 II or 90D but esp. AF did hold me back.

You obviously have the money to buy expensive cameras like R3 while also buying other cameras which fit your needs. Good for you. I don't think you really miss a camera in Canons lineup. I guess you have (or at least can find) everything you want. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that being right while stating that "foolish" people (like me) are wrong is the only reason you are on this platform.

I don't care if I'm right or wrong with my statements and opinions. I only care about getting the camera which fits (as close as possible) my needs.

4-5 years of reading destructive and arrogant comments like yours about rumored cameras people like me are desperatly hoping for, while bragging you already have every camera you want and need, made me joining this site. I was never interested in writing here, because I knew how it will end.

I don't have a problem with you. Why should I? I don't even know you.

The only problem I have is that you are trying to tell me (and others) that there is no reason to build a camera which fits my (and others) needs the best, despite many sources claiming the opposite!

Proposal:
Let's make armistice, at least for a while.
If you are right while stating that there won't be an official announcement till the end of this year for an RF APS-C camera (which is at least as highend as M6 II or 90D) you can call me fool or make as much jokes as you want of me.
If I am right while stating that there will be an official announcement till the end of this year for an RF APS-C camera (which is at least as highend as M6 II or 90D) I can call you fool or make as much jokes as I want of you.

Deal?

Upvote 0
Wasn't the last rumour (quite long ago) of M about vlogging? Could fit quite nicely to small/light and give it new life.

As long as people are claiming that there is no need for something like R7 I will show very much pleasure from seeing M killed off!
Sorry for being an ass ... but the truth is:
M doesn't fit my needs, so I don't care about it ... that's all!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The only problem I have is that you are trying to tell me (and others) that there is no reason to build a camera which fits my (and others) needs the best, despite many sources claiming the opposite!
Clearly you need to read my statements more carefully. Obviously people have a reason to want whatever it is they want. However, what some people want is not consistent with reality. You may want a 500/2.8 lens that weighs 2 kg and costs $1000. Expressing a desire for something ridiculous like that is going to engender ridicule.

There are good reasons for people to want a high-end APS-C EOS R, and good reasons for people to want a low-end APS-C EOS R. There are also good reasons grounded in logic that Canon may not make one. Certainly there were good reasons to want a 7DIII, right? You did. So did many members here on CR. But Canon didn't deliver one, did they? So clearly, there were good reasons for Canon not to make one.

I don't believe there will be a high-end APS-C R body or even a low-end one. Certainly, I could be wrong. Time will tell, and if I am wrong, I'll be happy for those who want one of those options and are able to obtain it.

The problem you really have is that you're making patently false statements, and it seems you take offense when corrected and instead choose to double down on disseminating misinformation.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sold (not sell)!
Thanks, that's a perfect example of how you continue doubling down on false information, and make yourself look ever more foolish and asinine in the process.

I stated that the M6 II and 90D are part of market segments that sell very well for Canon, namely APS-C MILCs and DSLRs. Last week in Japan, the three best-selling ILC kits comprised the EOS M2 APS-C MILC (in two colors) and the Kiss X10 (250D/SL3) DSLR.

IMG_6879.jpg

DSLRs comprise >40% of the ILC market. For example, 44% of ILCs shipped globally in March (the most recent month's CIPA data) were DSLRs. Canon dominates that market segment. Therefore, simple logic shows that Canon DSLRs are selling very well.

If you have reputable data that show otherwise, feel free to share them. Unless you do, by contradicting easily verifiable, publicly available data you merely make yourself look like an idiot.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Certainly there were good reasons to want a 7DIII, right? You did. So did many members here on CR. But Canon didn't deliver one, did they? So clearly, there were good reasons for Canon not to make one.
I'm sure Canon know that a significant number of 7D/7DMkii owners were desperate for a 7DMkiii, but for reasons best known to themselves decided against it. But I think Canon were wrong on that subject. They certainly aren't infallible. They went through a long spell when they sat on their laurels and became complacent, allowing Sony to take a large slice of the market. Canon have also made some notable miscalculations (swipe bar on R comes to mind). I think you may be slightly blinded by brand loyalty.

Upvote 0
I have also had my eyes on Fujifilm, however their AF is just not (yet?) anywhere near the performance I want.
Lately OM has caught my attention with the OM-1, and I wonder if I would feel the smaller MFT sensor would be good enough for me? For most photography I do definitely care more about optical quality than sensor size, so maybe?...
Maybe OM-1 is not yet completely where I ideally want it to be, but OM definitely seems to be going in the right direction (for me) with that body.

But if Canon gives us that R7, I can stop wondering about that for the next 4-6(?) years. As for lenses my existing EF-S will do fine for the time too, if Canon doesn't launch anything more attractive than what I already got.
Yes, Fuji AF also stopped me from buying! But maybe the X-H2 will be on par with Canon.
I would also badly miss my beloved Canon 15-85mm and Sigma 150-600mm. Rumors say the XF150-600mm will be f/5.6-8 ... downer!

A friend of mine has the new OM-1 and he seems to be very happy! But honestly I'm not really impressed by the results.
ISO performance is quite good (regarding to sensor size) and it is lightning fast. But I miss the shallow DOF.
I neither want to increase nor decrease sensor size because of different reasons ... APS-C just fits perfectly!

I'm quite confident there will be an R7. For the start I would also only adapt ef and ef-s lenses ... Maybe the Laowa RF 100mm gets a chance.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'm sure Canon know that a significant number of 7D/7DMkii owners were desperate for a 7DMkiii, but for reasons best known to themselves decided against it. But I think Canon were wrong on that subject. They certainly aren't infallible. They went through a long spell when they sat on their laurels and became complacent, allowing Sony to take a large slice of the market. Canon have also made some notable miscalculations (swipe bar on R comes to mind). I think you may be slightly blinded by brand loyalty.
Of course companies make mistakes, and listen to customer feedback. The MacBook Pro Touch Bar is another example of a feature that was tried, and removed from subsequent models.

However, that feedback needs to come from a meaningful fraction of the customer base. CR forum membership does not comprise such a fraction.

Upvote 0