Is Canon officially announcing two cameras in May?

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
Would someone please explain the benefits of a stacked sensor other than read out speeds? Does it give better, similar or worse performance for low light performance or dynamic range? I appreciate those with more technical backgrounds. Thank you!
See DPReview here and here.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
For performances, the big advantage of electronic shutter is that it's silent. On my R3, I have the stills/video toggle switch assigned to switch in/out of silent mode. With the stacked sensor, shooting silently doesn't cost me 2-stops of bit depth in my RAW files.
Didn't you mention you noticed in silent mode, the R3 doesn't close the shutter on power off?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I don't have an R6II, but the R8 has the same sensor and has no problem shooting at ISO 5000. But maybe that's just a miracle that can only happen in some place like St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican... ;)

View attachment 216513
Pretty much all Canon FF cameras beyond the R RP have decent performance below ISO 10000.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Fwiw some of us never used this site for rumours, it's just a little community where people can shoot the breeze and share knowledge and photos.
Very good point. I also like the site because on the day of the announcements they summarize on-line content for what is being announced.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
You are right to be skeptical.
Believing youtubers is like believing politicians.
99,99% is a speculation, a lie, soni paid propaganda or a pure invention. :)
As a scientist I am always skeptical. The only information I believe at this stage is that Canon has registered five cameras in 2024; three are likely R-series cameras and 2 are likely cinema cameras. In terms of announcements, could be May or June; It is anyone's guess.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Having said that, there is a practical implication for using electronic shutter, since the stacked sensor of the R3 enables full 14-bit capture whereas other models drop the bit depth to 12 for electronic shutter.
I assume the bit depth is a bandwidth constraint… 14 bit @30fps for 24mp vs 12 bit @20fps for 45mp both need ~10gb/s bandwidth.

I am not convinced that having a stacked sensor improves the bit depth but the processor bus speed seems more likely to me.
I assume that the new R1/R5ii will both have the next iteration in the digic x family with a higher bus speed

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I assume the bit depth is a bandwidth constraint… 14 bit @30fps for 24mp vs 12 bit @20fps for 45mp both need ~10gb/s bandwidth.
I use EFCS on my 24 MP R8, because that provides 14-bit RAW files while electronic shutter drops it to 12-bits. Note that unlike the R5, the R8 can be set to shoot ES at low-continuous speed of 5 fps…and still delivers only 12-bit RAWs.

How does that align with your assumption?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

I am not convinced that having a stacked sensor improves the bit depth but the processor bus speed seems more likely to me.
I assume that the new R1/R5ii will both have the next iteration in the digic x family with a higher bus speed
My assumption is that the 12-bit was picked to get a useable amount of rolling shutter, each bit you drop gets you a faster readout and the max fps is capped by the bandwidth bottleneck.

A stacked sensor, like the R3, would allow full bit-depth images with acceptable rolling shutter, while a newer digic would allow more bandwidth.
I hope this means we can get at least 20fps in e-shutter with full bit depth on the R5II, focus stacking is much less frustrating with fast fps :)

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
May 30, 2017

It seems English canon rumors have not talked about it.
R1 will support CFexpress type b 4.0. The camera has 3000MB/s writing speed.
This news is from Taiwan memory card company which is ready to sell CFexpress type b 4.0. So R1 bandwidth is large enough ro over 120fps.
I hope R5ii will support this also.

Upvote 0