Is Canon officially announcing two cameras in May?

May 30, 2017
The mythical goalpost that keeps moving everytime there is a new release from the major competitors. The R3 was indeed supposed to be the R1 until they saw what Nikon and Sony did.
Nikon didn't announce any sport camera when Canon announced R3.Z9 was announced after R3.
Canon released R3 because Tokyo Olympic 2020 delaied to 2021. They released 1DX mark iii in 2020.

I think R3 sensor should be 1DX mark iii because mark iii didn't upgrade so much and used the same mark ii sensor.
R3 can be R1 but Canon is not Sony.
Sony can released many models every year or create more lineup when no one buy.
Releaed A9 which is flagship but released A1 because R5 has 8K.
Releaed A9ii because A9 missed many functions for professional.

Many people are waiting the announcement in here but you can see Canon is not hurry or worry.
A9iii is a rush product and it shows not many people buy or use. Sony fans still chooss A1 or jump ship to Nikon Z8
No ranking can see A9iii. Only Sony online fans to say global shutter every day.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Saw a YouTube video where it claimed that Canon was going to announce the R1 at CP+, but they were having issues with the buffer performance so the announcement was delayed. IF true, maybe we are looking at a R5 Mk2 and R1 announcement...?? Pure speculation on my part, but considering that the last Canon announcement was six months ago anything is possible.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Would someone please explain the benefits of a stacked sensor other than read out speeds? Does it give better, similar or worse performance for low light performance or dynamic range? I appreciate those with more technical backgrounds. Thank you!
Faster readout speed is the main benefit. Noise, DR, etc., are no different based on the sensor itself. Having said that, there is a practical implication for using electronic shutter, since the stacked sensor of the R3 enables full 14-bit capture whereas other models drop the bit depth to 12 for electronic shutter. The faster readout speed also means that flash can be used with electronic shutter.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
May 30, 2017
Would someone please explain the benefits of a stacked sensor other than read out speeds? Does it give better, similar or worse performance for low light performance or dynamic range? I appreciate those with more technical backgrounds. Thank you!

From the explanation, stacked is better low light and dynamic range.
If Canon can mix DGO and stacked, it will be better.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

Readout speed is a pretty big advantage. Stacked sensors usually have slightly worse DR and high ISO performance but the difference is minor. Stacked sensor needs extra circuits and for this reason the image quality drops a little.

Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
I suppose, you need to check your ISO menu of your R6m2.

I shoot quite often @ISO 4000 and 5000.
I haven‘t changed much there from factory settings.

Bro, I checked red menu , page 2, there's NO iso 4000 or 5000, its 3200 and then the next option is 6400. I shoot manual. But I went through the other modes to see if there was any hidden option somewhere , but I can't find one, so please tell me how you're changing it down to 5000 and what menu, thanks

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010

From the explanation, stacked is better low light and dynamic range.
If Canon can mix DGO and stacked, it will be better.
The 'better low light and DR' part of that is due to the back-side illumination (BSI, which is a requirement of a stacked sensor, but there are non-stacked BSI sensors as well). However, BSI was developed for high-density sensors to enable even higher densities (think high MP smartphone cameras), and the real-world benefits are basically meaningless with pixels larger than 2 µm. You can see that by comparing the noise and DR of the R5 (front-side illuminated) to any of several Sony BSI FF sensors – the R5 has equivalent or slightly better noise and DR, so clearly the back-side illumination isn't helping Sony. IMO, BSI on a FF sensor is merely a marketing tactic.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Bro, I checked red menu , page 2, there's NO iso 4000 or 5000, its 3200 and then the next option is 6400. I shoot manual. But I went through the other modes to see if there was any hidden option somewhere , but I can't find one, so please tell me how you're changing it down to 5000 and what menu, thanks
I don't have an R6II, but the R8 has the same sensor and has no problem shooting at ISO 5000. But maybe that's just a miracle that can only happen in some place like St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican... ;)

ISO 5000.png

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
Readout speed is a pretty big advantage. Stacked sensors usually have slightly worse DR and high ISO performance but the difference is minor. Stacked sensor needs extra circuits and for this reason the image quality drops a little.
That would not be ideal for my use cases as I take performance photos in a large part of my work.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
The 'better low light and DR' part of that is due to the back-side illumination (BSI, which is a requirement of a stacked sensor, but there are non-stacked BSI sensors as well). However, BSI was developed for high-density sensors to enable even higher densities (think high MP smartphone cameras), and the real-world benefits are basically meaningless with pixels larger than 2 µm. You can see that by comparing the noise and DR of the R5 (front-side illuminated) to any of several Sony BSI FF sensors – the R5 has equivalent or slightly better noise and DR, so clearly the back-side illumination isn't helping Sony. IMO, BSI on a FF sensor is merely a marketing tactic.
Thank you. My concern was on DR and low light performance as I do a lot of performance photography. The R5 was my first mirrorless and I love it, but I'd like to get a second body so I am not having to switch lenses. It's not a time-sensitive thing, but low light performance/DR is a big factor for me. More fps isnt as important as 6000-10000 photos/performance is quite enough using the 20 fps electronic shutter.

• Wow
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Thank you. My concern was on DR and low light performance as I do a lot of performance photography. The R5 was my first mirrorless and I love it, but I'd like to get a second body so I am not having to switch lenses. It's not a time-sensitive thing, but low light performance/DR is a big factor for me. More fps isnt as important as 6000-10000 photos/performance is quite enough using the 20 fps electronic shutter.
For performances, the big advantage of electronic shutter is that it's silent. On my R3, I have the stills/video toggle switch assigned to switch in/out of silent mode. With the stacked sensor, shooting silently doesn't cost me 2-stops of bit depth in my RAW files.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Bro, just RTFM, check your C.Fn1 menu and set ISO steps to 1/3. You're welcome.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 9, 2018
Saw a YouTube video where it claimed that Canon was going to announce the R1 at CP+, but they were having issues with the buffer performance so the announcement was delayed. IF true, maybe we are looking at a R5 Mk2 and R1 announcement...?? Pure speculation on my part, but considering that the last Canon announcement was six months ago anything is possible.
You are right to be skeptical.
Believing youtubers is like believing politicians.
99,99% is a speculation, a lie, soni paid propaganda or a pure invention. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0