Is Facebook worth it?

I have never had an interest in joining Facebook, but finally decided to make a business (artist) page for my photography. During signup, it would not let me upload the profile photo (even though it was very small file and correct dimensions and file type). When I clicked skip (to see if I could go back) it said account disabled. I tried to reregister with a different email and it also said account disabled.

I questioned whether or not Facebook is worth doing, and since it seems they will not even let me sign up I guess not. They also do not have an email or phone for tech support, so my gut insinct is to avoid it entirely. My only reason for signing up was to add the icon on my website to try to improve search engine rankings.

Thoughts?

Is a cup of coffee in the morning worth it?

Is a plane ticket to Paris worth it?

Is a season ticket to the Dodgers worth it?

Seems like it depends on who you are and what you value and want.

As for FB, I have no idea what benefits it might provide. You're the only one who can really know or venture a judgement.

Upvote 0
MrFotoFool said:
I have never had an interest in joining Facebook, but finally decided to make a business (artist) page for my photography. During signup, it would not let me upload the profile photo (even though it was very small file and correct dimensions and file type). When I clicked skip (to see if I could go back) it said account disabled. I tried to reregister with a different email and it also said account disabled.

I questioned whether or not Facebook is worth doing, and since it seems they will not even let me sign up I guess not. They also do not have an email or phone for tech support, so my gut insinct is to avoid it entirely. My only reason for signing up was to add the icon on my website to try to improve search engine rankings.

Thoughts?

If you're looking for increased exposure, either in search engine rankings or through networking, then yes it is worth it. It will take a little time and effort to build up your followers, but once you do you'll have another tool to showcase your work to potential clients. Besides, I know loads of people who have referred prospective clients to photographers they've used on Facebook. Perhaps you can find some troubleshooting here: https://www.facebook.com/help/

Upvote 0
I've thought about this question quite a lot for my own business. It came down to this for me:

* Demographics

Who uses Facebook and are those who use it the people you want to show your work to? I think it's a HUGE benefit if you're a wedding photographer. Not so much if you are a commercial photographer.

There are 300,000 people who like Annie Leibovitz's Facebook page. As big a commercial photographer you can get... She hasn't updated it since 2010!!! I also Like some fashion photographers who shoot for Vogue and Marie Claire.. Heck, some don't even have FB pages...

Jasmine Star, a top wedding photographer, has 85,000 Likes on her Facebook page. She updates it several times a day.

When you figure out your demographic, the answer becomes clear.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
It's an interesting question.

For myself personally, No, I have zero interest in FB, none, and I advise my Family to have the same perspective.

For Business ?? Maybe, what makes me even consider it may be useful isn't about FB as Google +

Check out a chap by the name of Trey Ratcliffe, Does HDR Photography, his Photography isn't exceptional I feel (not keen on HDR), but what amazes me is the chaps ability to be able to sell himself through Media sites such as Google + FB etc, this chap has 4 million Google + followers, and he's turned that into what appears to be a very successful Business.

So it would seem these Social Media sites are big business and an avenue for Both Business and Personal Promotion, My sone was telling me that Psy the guy that does the Gandam thing currently has 2 Billion views on You Tube, if that's not a sign the world is totally nuts I don't know what other proof is needed.

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2010
I occassionally come across people who will only search for businesses on Facebook. I know this because I'm not on Facebook. Consequently, people can't find my business there. Facebook is such a phenomena that people look at you like you are a freak if you not there. I have no idea how much revenue I've lost by not being there. Maybe its none. Maybe its lots.

Anyways, if you are serious about growing a business you've at least got to think about your online marketing. You've already got a website. Do you need to do more? Facebook, twitter and email marketing can be very cost effective ways to develop better client relationships and drive sales. But it does require effort to make it worthwhile. Is your time better spent on marketing activities or in doing something else?

Upvote 0
It appears that you guys are "of an age"?

"I have zero interest in FB, none, and I advise my Family to have the same perspective."

I believe you have to sign up as a real person before you sign up as a business. Facebook is a very helpful tool indeed. If you recall, when the first telephones came out, everyone said "why bother using a telephone, what use is it? I have zero interest in a telephone, none, and I advise my Family to have the same perspective". Look how that worked out.

A printer I knew refused to take up the use of Email as he "Had zero interest in Email, none, and advised his family to have the same perspective"

Remember when the TV came out? Who'd have thought that a box in the corner of the room would have so much impact on the world?

Now that internet has come out... someone developed a tool for mass communication so you can show off your pictures to a mass audience and deal with them directly. I wonder what happened to that printer that refused to deal with clients via Email? Possibly the same as the commercial photographers that refused to take up digital when everyone started to sell online...

Maybe I'll get to the age where 665,000,000 users on a social media network everyday are wrong and not worth getting in touch with for business purposes? Until then, it is prudent business advise to get involved.

Upvote 0
Just because I don't like to put my life out on Facebook for everyone to see, doesn't mean I wouldn't want my business out there for everyone to see. Most people of a certain age, are known to say unwarranted things about Facabook as a whole. They didn't grow up with a calculator, let alone computer in the house. It's a great tool to help my hobby/profession, much like a speed-square or barrel sander or photoshop. It's all in how you use those tools to your benefit that matters.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
LewisShermer said:

Perhaps, at least Old enough to know better than to misquote someone else when attempting to formulate an Argument.

Maybe concentrate on some Original viewpoint in your next Post on the Subject, if your stuck for a viewpoint, try misquoting one of those 665,000,000 users on FB that you feel are worth getting in touch with, I'm sure one of them will be Happy to help you out.

And No, your Wrong, FB have a section for Business where the Account is formed in the Business Name, see what happens when we use selective quoting ?? No ?? Not surprised.

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
RGomezPhotos said:
I've thought about this question quite a lot for my own business. It came down to this for me:

* Demographics

Who uses Facebook and are those who use it the people you want to show your work to? I think it's a HUGE benefit if you're a wedding photographer. Not so much if you are a commercial photographer.

There are 300,000 people who like Annie Leibovitz's Facebook page. As big a commercial photographer you can get... She hasn't updated it since 2010!!! I also Like some fashion photographers who shoot for Vogue and Marie Claire.. Heck, some don't even have FB pages...

Jasmine Star, a top wedding photographer, has 85,000 Likes on her Facebook page. She updates it several times a day.

When you figure out your demographic, the answer becomes clear.

+ 1 for me too.

Just for my Love HOBBY/ Photography, I have friends around the world, who like my Photos. But The big Plus = I get to meet the Friends/ Relative since I did not see them for 60 years.
Here is my FB

https://www.facebook.com/surapon01

Surapon

Upvote 0
eml58 said:
LewisShermer said:

Perhaps, at least Old enough to know better than to misquote someone else when attempting to formulate an Argument.

Maybe concentrate on some Original viewpoint in your next Post on the Subject, if your stuck for a viewpoint, try misquoting one of those 665,000,000 users on FB that you feel are worth getting in touch with, I'm sure one of them will be Happy to help you out.

And No, your Wrong, FB have a section for Business where the Account is formed in the Business Name, see what happens when we use selective quoting ?? No ?? Not surprised.

*you're

I can't quite fathom your argument. My viewpoint is very much of the 'keep up with technology & trends or lose it to those who are willing to keep up with technology & trends'. Are you arguing against that?

Upvote 0
How many people do you know, that get their jobs via Facebook?
How can you be found on Facebook, due to the fact, that there are tons of other photographers doing basically the same stuff.
If you want to leave your digital business card, then build up an own webside. It makes much more sense and is much more individual than a facebook page. Meeting with a potential customer: "Hey, check out my website" is way better than "Hey, check out my facebook page".

And by the way: you lose all rights over the stuff you post on facebook.
That includes images...

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I don't quite know what to make of your comment ,"It appears that you guys are "of an age"?". I can't really tell of what your age is either by your pic. Not sure if I should be offended, as my years pile up. In any event, I have come to appreciate the wisdom that does tend to (but is not assuredly guaranteed to come) with age. Wisdom such as not to be arrogant, impetuous, and to not have hubris, but that is a topic for people not as wise as us, to be sure.

My feeling on fb is that there is a lot of "I'm having eggs for breakfast" type of garbage, no doubt. However, it does present with marketing opportunities if done properly, and aggressively. I have a fb page for business, and I don't follow my own wisdom. I treat it more like a hobby. Why? I don't care for it much, but then, if I don't pay some attention to it, or I don't have it, others will, and I need to stay relevant in the digital world of marketing.

LewisShermer said:
eml58 said:
LewisShermer said:

*you're

I can't quite fathom your argument. My viewpoint is very much of the 'keep up with technology & trends or lose it to those who are willing to keep up with technology & trends'. Are you arguing against that?

Upvote 0
eml58 said:
LewisShermer said:

If you would have elaborated more on why you seemingly hate Facebook so much and actively attempt to encourage your opinion be shared by others, he may not have had to jump to a conclusion based solely on the information and opinion you had previously shared in your first post.

however, you should realize that you are misquoting (at least misnaming people) and jumping to your own conclusions in your own posts, so I'd suggest to live and let live.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Interesting discussion. I've generally used my Facebook page for personal photos, rather than for portfolio images (with some exceptions) but after seeing what Wayne has done, I may need to rethink this. A few years ago, blogging was all the rage, but I wonder now if Facebook isn't a more effective medium for some of the things that we used to use blogs for.

Need to do some serious thinking about this.

As far as the "certain age" comment goes, I wonder if Louis realizes that the single largest demographic for Facebook is women over 40.

Upvote 0
scottkinfw said:
My feeling on fb is that there is a lot of "I'm having eggs for breakfast" type of garbage, no doubt. However, it does present with marketing opportunities if done properly, and aggressively. I have a fb page for business, and I don't follow my own wisdom. I treat it more like a hobby. Why? I don't care for it much, but then, if I don't pay some attention to it, or I don't have it, others will, and I need to stay relevant in the digital world of marketing.
You absolutely do not want to get on Twitter then (at least not follow anyone's personal feeds). hahaha.

The good news, is you only have to pay attention to what you want. Social media does tend to have quite a cost of time spent vs benefit of leads and clients at the upstart in my experience. However, when people approach you and expressly ask if you have a Facebook page they can look at, that should give you some indication of a potential customer's desire for you to have one.

And yes, you can always say 'no, but you can look at this other page I have'. The benefit of using social media pages is that if they choose to follow you, they will get periodic streams of your info/work they might not otherwise see if they just went to your website once.

Upvote 0