Is it worth waiting for the 6D II or can I go wrong with getting the 5D IV?

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
RandomRazr said:
jolyonralph said:
Flippy screen is far less important if you use your smartphone to remote control the 5D IV - then it's even easier to see what's going on without having to angle yourself or your screen.

is it true u can tap to focus on live view with smartphone?

Yes.

With the 5DmkIV you can use your phone/tablet to start/stop video recording, take a photo, change shutter/aperture/iso/exposure compensation, change video recording format and use touch to refocus. Both MOV and MP4 files can be recorded, but only MP4 video files can be downloaded to your phone/tablet over wifi. Images will be rescaled on download (1920 pixels wide = no fun) if requested from the app but you can push JPEG files (including in-camera RAW developed results) in original resolution to the phone from the camera menu.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
hne said:
RandomRazr said:
jolyonralph said:
Flippy screen is far less important if you use your smartphone to remote control the 5D IV - then it's even easier to see what's going on without having to angle yourself or your screen.

is it true u can tap to focus on live view with smartphone?

With the 5DmkIV you can use your phone/tablet to start/stop video recording, take a photo, change shutter/aperture/iso/exposure compensation, change video recording format and use touch to refocus. Both MOV and MP4 files can be recorded, but only MP4 video files can be downloaded to your phone/tablet over wifi. Images will be rescaled on download (1920 pixels wide = no fun) if requested from the app but you can push JPEG files (including in-camera RAW developed results) in original resolution to the phone from the camera menu.

Yes.

Hope to try this over the weekend!

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Don Haines said:
If you can afford it, the 5D4 is a much better camera, with two big exceptions.....

The first, obviously, is price......

The second is that the 6D2 will have a tilt-swivel screen. If you are going to be doing strange things like astrophotography, and you really hate lying in the snow, the tilt/swivel screen is a big thing..... the rest of the time, meh....

The tilt/swivel screen has some value I think for tripod work, both video and still, but no tripod, no Live View as far as I am concerned. I am trying to convince myself that I ought to use my tripod more, but without much success so far.

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
Sounds like you are not in a big hurry, so let the 6DII come out, read the reviews, see samples from actual users...

I'd count on the 5DIV for action shots, birds-in-flight. I'm a little disappointed by the IQ at ISO 400 and above, just not as clear and sharp as hoped, not as smooth as the 5DIII. It can be awkward down low for macro without the swivel screen, but I have an 80D I'm liking more and more for that.

You can get the 6DII and a very nice lens, I believe, for the price of the 5DIV.
Dear YuengLinger,
I had the exact same opinion about 5d Mk4 after compairing it to my 5D Mk3. The jpegs seemed a little soft and thought it was my mistake handling the camera in a wrong way. It was not untill last week that i decided to "play" with picture profile adjustments. I use the "Fine Detail" profile so, i took the "fineness" slider from "1" to "5" and then my eyes popped out! The 5D Mk3 photos that seemed so sharp and detailed after proccessing the RAWs in Photoshop, looked somehow poor and lacking detail compared to the jpegs straight out of the Mk4.

It is night and day my dear friend. Please try this adjustment and give us some feedback. Also, don't forget that due to 30.4 MPs, the Mk4 needs faster shutter to avoid blurriness compared to the 22 MP 5D Mk3.

Wishing you all the best.

Yiannis, Athens, Greece.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
5D4 will have the following things that the 6D2 will not:

• Definitely: +4 more MP (if the rumor is true)
  • Definitely: 4K video recording (if the rumor is true)
  • Definitely: Much more solid build quality
  • Definitely: Dual card slots (if the rumor is true)
  • Definitely: More capable AF system in general (the 6D2 may get some small wrinkle that is nicer than the 5D4 on AF, but in general the 5D4 will be a step above)
  • Likely: higher cycle count shutter durability
  • Likely: higher fps (very low chance the 6D2 gets 7 fps)
  • Likely: AF joystick (6D2 might not get this)
  • Likely: Chunkier grip that better fits your hand
  • Maybe: 1/8000 shutter
  • Maybe: 1/200 flash sync speed
  • Maybe: AF point selection via touchscreen
  • Maybe: DPRAW
  • Maybe: Great quality back thumb wheel (maybe the 6D2 gets the nice 5D-level one this go-round?)

I see the decision as being how badly you need certain professional niceties [professional build tool, 4K, dual slots, very high quality AF system] vs. saving some money and getting a tilty-flippy screen. The sensor quality / sensor resolution / fps differences will be really small. So one could argue the 6D2 is a more affordable 5D4 with a tilty-flippy screen.

- A

Upvote 0

smr

Jan 24, 2017
Don Haines said:
If you can afford it, the 5D4 is a much better camera, with two big exceptions.....

The first, obviously, is price......

The second is that the 6D2 will have a tilt-swivel screen. If you are going to be doing strange things like astrophotography, and you really hate lying in the snow, the tilt/swivel screen is a big thing..... the rest of the time, meh....

Or when doing landscapes and the sun makes it hard to see the screen, tilting it can be the difference between getting a shot or not.

And when doing macro photography, amount of shots I've needed to tilt the screen....

Granted my first DSLR is my current one, a 700D so I've never used a Camera without one, but I see it as such a hindrance on those more expensive Cameras, I can see why they don't have it as I'm guessing it's to support the notion that those more "pro" bodies have to be marketed as more rugged and unbreakable, but if you take care of your gear then I don't see the problem. Infact I love it so much that if the 6D mk2 didn't have it (and believe me I'm massively hyped for this Camera) I'd probably even think about sticking to crop and getting an 80D instead, well, if it wasn't a touch screen that is, I find it really useful when doing landscapes, zooming in on the background to check focus and then foreground etc.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
ahsanford said:

• Definitely: More capable AF system in general (the 6D2 may get some small wrinkle that is nicer than the 5D4 on AF, but in general the 5D4 will be a step above)
  • Maybe: Great quality back thumb wheel (maybe the 6D2 gets the nice 5D-level one this go-round?)

I see the decision as being how badly you need certain professional niceties [professional build tool, 4K, dual slots, very high quality AF system] vs. saving some money and getting a tilty-flippy screen. The sensor quality / sensor resolution / fps differences will be really small. So one could argue the 6D2 is a more affordable 5D4 with a tilty-flippy screen.

- A

Helpful summary based on what is known so far. Thanks!

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:

- A

so the runoured spaces say the 6d II will have "electronic image stabilization".

something the 5d IV wont have????

would it be comparable to image stabilization built in a lens do yah think?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
RandomRazr said:
so the runoured spaces say the 6d II will have "electronic image stabilization".

something the 5d IV wont have????

would it be comparable to image stabilization built in a lens do yah think?

No no -- this is electronic stabilization (a) only for video and (b) an electronic 'pixel magic' sort of thing. The newly released 77D has this feature as well. This is NOT the IBIS we see on competitor's models that puts the sensor on a floating mount of some sort.

I wouldn't fret that the 5D4 doesn't have this. The 5D4 still has a jillion things the 6D2 does not.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:

- A

Nice summary.

As a stills shooter, the key 5D4 advantages are:
  • (1) dual card slots
  • (2) better AF system
  • (3) joystick (assuming the 6D2 doesn't get one)

The rest of the features are not that significant to me.

ahsanford said:
I've owned a 6D, 5D3 and now a 5DsR and I didn't find the 6D build quality to be "much less" solid. If the 5D series is a 8 on a scale of 1-10, I'd give the 6D a 7 at worst.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
bholliman said:
ahsanford said:

- A

Nice summary.

As a stills shooter, the key 5D4 advantages are:
  • (1) dual card slots
  • (2) better AF system
  • (3) joystick (assuming the 6D2 doesn't get one)

The rest of the features are not that significant to me.

ahsanford said:
I've owned a 6D, 5D3 and now a 5DsR and I didn't find the 6D build quality to be "much less" solid. If the 5D series is a 8 on a scale of 1-10, I'd give the 6D a 7 at worst.

+1 although I would add faster shutter (assuming it will be 1/8000 versus 1/4000) and flash sync speed (assuming the 6DII won't match the 5DIV there) to the 5DIV's advantages.

I'm still considering whether to go for a 6DII or a 5DIV, but the 6DII does seem to be shaping up very nicely. Realistically the 6DII will do everything I need (and more), so as much as a 5DIV would be nice (and personally I'd go for a joystick over a tilt/flip screen without a second thought, all else equal), the price difference will probably see me heading to a 6DII I think.

Upvote 0