Is it worth waiting for the 6D II or can I go wrong with getting the 5D IV?

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
If you can afford it, the 5D4 is a much better camera, with two big exceptions.....

The first, obviously, is price......

The second is that the 6D2 will have a tilt-swivel screen. If you are going to be doing strange things like astrophotography, and you really hate lying in the snow, the tilt/swivel screen is a big thing..... the rest of the time, meh....

Upvote 0

leadin2

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2017
Singapore
RandomRazr said:
with the latest leaks of the 6D II, would it be worth the wait for the 6D II or can i go wrong with getting the 5d IV?

It seems the only 3 advantages i see so far, is cheaper, price, angle tilt LCD screen, and a digic 7 processor.

If you cannot decide and not in a hurry, wait for 6D2 official specs and reviews.

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015
6D2 exists to try and make the 5D4 look great.

If you need a capable camera, the 5D4 is your only real choice. If you're new to FF, skip Canon and get a D750 and D500 for the price of a single 5D4 and you will be far better off.

About 1/2 of all 5D4's suffer from some bizarre color banding issue when increasing exposure in shadow areas 2 stops. Just something to think about.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Sounds like you are not in a big hurry, so let the 6DII come out, read the reviews, see samples from actual users...

I'd count on the 5DIV for action shots, birds-in-flight. I'm a little disappointed by the IQ at ISO 400 and above, just not as clear and sharp as hoped, not as smooth as the 5DIII. It can be awkward down low for macro without the swivel screen, but I have an 80D I'm liking more and more for that.

You can get the 6DII and a very nice lens, I believe, for the price of the 5DIV.

Upvote 0
I'd wait. Won't be long. I got the 6d instead of the 5d3 because all the files out of the 5d3 seemed softer, I assume more comprimised for video (Canon probably thinking the 6d was more of a landscape camera) against aliasing which the 5d2 was criticized for. The pics i have seen out of the 5d4 seem the same way. I am waiting because I love the look of the 5ds files (color and tonality) but really like the way my 6d shoots at high iso. That will be my decision.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
^ Interesting, I had both the 6D and 5D3 and really didn't notice any difference in sharpness between the two cameras. The more reliable AF of the latter gives that camera the edge IMHO. However, I do notice a difference between the 5D3 and 5D4 (latter is a bit softer).

I'd be interested to see how the 6D2 compares to the 5D4 IQ-wise.

I'd count on the 5DIV for action shots, wildlife. I'm a little disappointed by the IQ at ISO 400 and above, just not as clear and sharp as hoped, not as smooth as the 5DIII.

While I generally concur with this sentiment, I'd also note that at really high ISO (6400+), the 5D4 has NOTICEABLY less color noise than the 5D3 does (and the 5DSR too by extension). This leads to smoother, more useable files and slightly richer colors. Having had to shoot both cameras at ISO 10,000 for select events, the difference was quite clear in the amount of work the files needed in post.

Definitely mixed feelings regarding the IQ for sure. At/near base ISO, the 5D4 shots are noticeably (and disappointingly) softer, but at high ISO, it is a clear improvement all-around.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Act444 said:
^ Interesting, I had both the 6D and 5D3 and really didn't notice any difference in sharpness between the two cameras. The more reliable AF of the latter gives that camera the edge IMHO. However, I do notice a difference between the 5D3 and 5D4 (latter is a bit softer).

I'd count on the 5DIV for action shots, wildlife. I'm a little disappointed by the IQ at ISO 400 and above, just not as clear and sharp as hoped, not as smooth as the 5DIII.

While I generally concur with this sentiment, I'd also note that at really high ISO (6400+), the 5D4 has NOTICEABLY less color noise than the 5D3 does (and the 5DSR too by extension). This leads to smoother, more useable files and slightly richer colors. Having had to shoot both cameras at ISO 10,000 for select events, the difference was quite clear in the amount of work the files needed in post.

Definitely mixed feelings regarding the IQ for sure.

I take most of my shots under ISO 3200. Not sure this is due to anti-aliasing. I believe it has something to do with in-camera processing of the photo-diodes. I do notice improvement after the latest firmware update, but still a let down.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
YuengLinger said:
Act444 said:

I take most of my shots under ISO 3200. Not sure this is due to anti-aliasing. I believe it has something to do with in-camera processing of the photo-diodes. I do notice improvement after the latest firmware update, but still a let down.

I initially thought it was due to the AA filter, but after some digging I'm now thinking there is more to it than that. Upon closer inspection, it seems the Mark IV actually aliases slightly more than the Mark III does - and that can be verified in the DPReview comparison here https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv/9 (scroll to the drawing on the left side of the DPreview sign). It seems, instead, more likely to be something to do with the actual sensor design or perhaps the processing of the sensor data, either in-camera or in DPP/Adobe/whatever.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Don Haines said:
If you can afford it, the 5D4 is a much better camera, with two big exceptions.....

The second is that the 6D2 will have a tilt-swivel screen. If you are going to be doing strange things like astrophotography, and you really hate lying in the snow, the tilt/swivel screen is a big thing..... the rest of the time, meh....

Yessssss

Upvote 0
Depending on what you shoot and which lenses you use, the 6D2 might even have the better AF system. Tracking will be worse, but it will have more cross type AF points (45 vs 41) and at f/5.6 it will likely be an even bigger difference (5D4 has 21 near the center only). It will likely be a PITA to select the points without a joystick, though.

Upvote 0
midluk said:
Depending on what you shoot and which lenses you use, the 6D2 might even have the better AF system. Tracking will be worse, but it will have more cross type AF points (45 vs 41) and at f/5.6 it will likely be an even bigger difference (5D4 has 21 near the center only). It will likely be a PITA to select the points without a joystick, though.
N2itiv said:
Why not wait until the 6d ll comes out? Rent both cameras and make your own determination after actual usage.
The question may end up being: Is the 5d IV that much better it warrants the extra expense, or, Is the performance of the 6d ll good enough for your purposes that the money saved or used for other purchases now a deciding factor?
Act444 said:
YuengLinger said:
Act444 said:

I initially thought it was due to the AA filter, but after some digging I'm now thinking there is more to it than that. Upon closer inspection, it seems the Mark IV actually aliases slightly more than the Mark III does - and that can be verified in the DPReview comparison here https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv/9 (scroll to the drawing on the left side of the DPreview sign). It seems, instead, more likely to be something to do with the actual sensor design or perhaps the processing of the sensor data, either in-camera or in DPP/Adobe/whatever.
RandomRazr said:
with the latest leaks of the 6D II, would it be worth the wait for the 6D II or can i go wrong with getting the 5d IV?

It seems the only 3 advantages i see so far, is cheaper, price, angle tilt LCD screen, and a digic 7 processor.
sanj said:
Don Haines said:

Yessssss
Don Haines said:

sanj said:
Don Haines said:

Yessssss
YuengLinger said:
Sounds like you are not in a big hurry, so let the 6DII come out, read the reviews, see samples from actual users...

I'd count on the 5DIV for action shots, birds-in-flight. I'm a little disappointed by the IQ at ISO 400 and above, just not as clear and sharp as hoped, not as smooth as the 5DIII. It can be awkward down low for macro without the swivel screen, but I have an 80D I'm liking more and more for that.

You can get the 6DII and a very nice lens, I believe, for the price of the 5DIV.
CanonCams said:
As of now, what is the big difference between the two spec wise?

4K and Dual Slots?
RandomRazr said:

leadin2 said:
RandomRazr said:

If you cannot decide and not in a hurry, wait for 6D2 official specs and reviews.
CanonCams said:
As of now, what is the big difference between the two spec wise?

4K and Dual Slots?

Thanks for the replies everyone!

It seems overall, the 5D IV is technically, and going to be a "better camera overall" but obviously it depends on needs from person to person.

I have a 24-70mm 2.8 II L lens sitting around. Used it with my 70D before I sold that camera.

I thought the flippy screen would be useful but when i think back, it was never something i always used for my shots which are people and video. seeing waht the camera sees in front of you was great, but if i need to record my self, its hard to tap to focus when u cant reach the screen which is where the wifi and canon app with live view from your phone helps!

i picked up the 5D IV, and could still return it as i have till end of the month for the return period. fantastic camera but im questioning if its wortht he extra 1000 over the 6d II if i returned it and waited.

I had an 80D for 2 days before that went back to bestbuy prior, as I felt i wanted a bigger jump from my 70D and use my L len to its full potential on a full frame.

it seems a couple things better on the 6D II will be more cross type AF points, 45 over 41 and the flippy screen and DGICI 7 processor over 6+ on the 5D IV from the comments ive read.

i use my camera for 80% video with 1080p 60fps for youtube and 20% for photo on the side for fun.

Still figuring out whether i would miss anything on the 5D IV that wouldnt be on the 6D II. dual card slots, 30mp, and just alot of little things that may add up and of course determining whether those little things are worth it for the extra 1000.

Thanks again for your input guys, i will ahve to dwell on this till june 29th XD

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
midluk said:

It'll depend on the spread of those points though. If they're all clustered together in the center, well...not very helpful. It's possible that the 5D system will have greater coverage even with fewer cross-type points.

Another thing - what about extra-sensitive double cross-type points? Will it be just the center point in the new 6D?

Upvote 0